Repair advice

I am going to be doing a repair on a 2 story 9/12 steep roof for the first time this week and I wanted to get some advice on how to handle the shingles along the edge safely. I have repaired plenty of jobs but never anything more than a 7/12 on a 1 or 2 story.

I have access to a harness but I am just curious how you guys would approach this.

are you talking about the edge at the gable end or at the eaves?

Set the ladder to a spot the shingles are in decent shape and set up a small jack system with say a 6’ plank. This would now be a relatively safe spot to get on and off the ladder and to keep tools and material you are going to need for the repair. When you are on the plank walk with purpose straight up to the peak to set up your harness.
Or
If there is a valley, you could set your ladder up so you could step off into it. Walk up the center of it to the top, or as far as it goes then run the rest of the way going straight up, set your harness, then do the repair.
Depends how involved the repair is whether you will need a staging area or not.
You could repair the shingles along the edge from the ladder. Other than that ware your harness and dont fall.

You should be able to walk a 9/12 well enough to replace some shingles…

Try roof jacks, a chicken ladder, or laying a ladder on the roof.

[quote=“-Axiom-”]You should be able to walk a 9/12 well enough to replace some shingles…

Try roof jacks, a chicken ladder, or laying a ladder on the roof.[/quote]

I agree you should be able to walk a 9/12

A piece of foam will keep you from sliding as well.

Hi,

You are gambling with your life on a 7/12.

On a 8/12 or above you do not think about your family having to wipe your mouth when you eat. Because you fell and are paralized. Or worse dead.

If there was a jar full of M&M’s and there was one in the jar that had a deadly posion in it. Would you take any from the jar?

If ya cant walk it throw a rope up

[quote=“Lefty”]Hi,

You are gambling with your life on a 7/12.

On a 8/12 or above you do not think about your family having to wipe your mouth when you eat. Because you fell and are paralized. Or worse dead.

If there was a jar full of M&M’s and there was one in the jar that had a deadly posion in it. Would you take any from the jar?[/quote]

Agreed :smiley:

I agree with lefty. I usually jack anything over a 7. On a new roof I atleast put a walkboard across the bottom edge so if I slide I stop somewhere. the thing about repairs too, is that sure maybe I can stand on a 9, but depending on how many shingles you need to replace, they’ll slide off the roof. You need somewhere to put tools and materials. also depending on the age of the roof, loose granules can make it pretty dangerous

make a trail with roof jacks to where repair is,or a rope.

well to be more specific most of the damaged shingles are at the bottom of a 2 story slope. There are some along a side slope that is 12/12 but they are in the middle of the slope above the garage so I atleast have a surface to slide down to on that slope. Normally I would sit down at the edge on a foam pad to repair them if it is 7/12 or less.

I walked a 12/12 yesterday so Im not worried about walking it I am worried about falling off the damned edge if I slide just a bit! lol.

Oh and it doesnt help that there are no gutters so I dont exactly have an easy tie off for the ladder if I decide to do it from the ladder.

build facia board out with a couple lenghts of 2x4’s and lean ladder on them with nails on each side of ladder

I did think of doing something to that extent but I want to avoid nailing into anything.

The more I think about it the more I am leaning towards just getting a harness and tieing down to something.

if there putting up gutters it will hide nail holes from 2x4’s

no gutters going up unfortunately. Plus I would be concerned about putting holes even if there were because it would give water a spot to hang out in and rot the wood. sure I could seal them up but its still not the same in my opinion

nail 2x4s up the roof,use 10p nails
rite through the shingles.
when done with repair, starting with top board,
remove board, lift shingle at nail holes and put a dab of tar in nail hole them press down shingle.
repeat process till you take last board off from the ladder

only way ill get on steep roof.
best to have somethin to hold onto.
and somewhere to set tools and materials.

gweedo.

Get stand-offs for your ladder,if you can reach repair from ladder.

Hi ATC,

Those 7-9 pitches are the “hard-walkersâ€Â

I think I might have to invest in the stand offs. I have never used them but I think thats will be the safest way.

Thanks for the tips guys