Replace this flashing?

You take a grinder and chisel and knock out mortar in a step type pattern and then put copper (or crap) into it. I grind my verticals too, no caulking needed. It is not something you will do yourself and make it nice on the first shot; hire a pro…just not the one that did it the first time, heh.

NOW…the real bitch is I bet the existing aluminum is a through wall flashing. Meaning it goes all the way through the brick and was laid in as they did the wall. Problem now is that you won’t be able to get all of it out and technically copper is not supposed to touch aluminum because it causes a galvanic reaction. So you may want to opt for lead if you can get it. I could do that wall in copper but Id charge you triple for the time it would take to work around the original reglets.

I don’t think it is aluminum, but probably tin or galvanized. I thought aluminum would corrode if it comes in contact with mortar.

Don’t worry, I know when I am out of my element, no flashing work for me. I’ll leave that to a pro.

Hi,

The top flashing looked like the first step was not even counter flashed.

I would definetly go see thier work.

Why not go with Lr Home Solutions?

I met this home owner last week after he saw me here on Roofing.com

I asked him to post those photos and get the roofers opinions here because I was also one of the contractors he met that didnt agree with the workmanship

As expected…and as Ive been saying since my first day here in Dallas or on the forums

The quality down here does not exist.

Ranchhand has steered clear of this thread, but I would love to hear what an Austin roofer thinks or says about this workmanship…RanchHand???

Odds are he cant defend it as he knows this is the standard down here in Dallas Texas. This is a brand new home not 2 years old!!

They have been installing flashings like this for decades and they are not about to change!

TarMonkey is right about copper to aluminum, cant do it!

There is only one easy fix to this that is workable

Litterally cutting a new counter flashing into place over the existing counterflashing that is EMBEDED 3 inches min. I will not spend hrs trying to pull it out and remortaring this mess. Unless we are talking $$$$$

The funny thing is that Regbike said to me that some of the contractors who came out are saying it dont have to be replaced and there is nothing wrong with it?

haha…sad thing is, the same company is out in the area installing / replacing hail damaged roofs

Regbike. Im now booked for the next 30-40 days with 3 larger contracts that came in yesterday :slight_smile:

Hold tight, dont rush, get educated~~~~~~

Ill be around when your ready~

DOUBLE POST REMOVED

LR i know you are new to the forum but calling out someone on here is less than professional. Knowing the jobs was not done correctly is no reason to do that. I have no clue what you are up to but we like to keep this a no confrontational forum as best we can. Just because you are in the same state has no merit on his workmanship. Im am glad you are busy. Most companies are in the summer. But rubbing it in to others is far from professional. Just what i am seeing. Hope you get the job but i would drop the ego in here.

berlin germany representin.
cool.

if that step flashing is not leaking and you dont care if it looks the way it does, then i would leave
and reuse.

tearin it out and replacin will probably do more harm
than good.
replacin step flashing in red brick is extremely difficult to do. dont try it unless your one hell of a roofer.

gweedo.

IMO it was done wrong. You do not use flash cards to counter flash. Counter is to be a 1 or 2 piece item. not steped like it is. If you DONT replace that then you are not a roofer you are a jackleg. It is done incorrectly period. Hack work is not an excuse to not do it because its hard. If it was not hard everyone would do it.

NOw gweedo we dont see eye to eye very often but seriously you would reuse that knowing full well it is done wrong? Come on its sticking away from the wall around an inch in places.

[quote=“Lr Home Solutions”]** . . . complete the step flashings as required by SMCA (Sheet Metal Contractors Association)

Not to bust your balls or anything, but it is actually called SMACNA (Sheet Metal and Air-Conditioning Contractors National Association, Inc.). Just thought you may want to know.

As for the photos and the metal flashings. I agree with those that say to replace them. The step flashings should be replaced with the roof, and new step counterflashing should be installed to replace the crap that is up there now. The step counterflashing could have been done better had they set them in a reglet along the mortar joints. The step counterflashings should have been cut out of a continuous piece of metal, instead of several pieces like it was done, which would have had a saw-tooth appearance. But hey, what is done is done and it is time to move on.

For now, the two best options would be to saw cut a reglet (pain in the azz), or install a surface-mounted step counterflashing with a caulk trough along top that should be sealed with a polyurethane sealant (NP-1).[/quote]

regbike,

You got a couple simple options.

one, trim the existing counter flashing back and make a real reglet to receive a new piece of counter flashing. The reglet is the metal that sticks out of the morter which is folded and locked to a separate piece of metal that covers the step tins. A raggle is the cut in the morter.

two, slide new metal up under the existing counter flashing and fasten with rivets.

Won’t be pretty, but it won’t be a major project either.

Not to bust your balls or anything but: smca.org/

*edit- **"slide new metal up under the existing counter flashing and fasten with rivets.

Won’t be pretty, but it won’t be a major project either."**

I was actually going to mention that but I just couldn’t make myself type it, lol. You’d have to put on your Super Hack cape and tights to do it but he’s right.

[quote=“Tar Monkey”]Not to bust your balls or anything but: smca.org/

*edit- **"slide new metal up under the existing counter flashing and fasten with rivets.

Won’t be pretty, but it won’t be a major project either."**

I was actually going to mention that but I just couldn’t make myself type it, lol. You’d have to put on your Super Hack cape and tights to do it but he’s right.

[/quote]

Touche’

Of course, SMCA is a Philadelphia and vacinity association, whereas SMACNA generally sets the standards for the construction industry across the U.S., Canada, Austrailia, and Brazil. If you look in most any project manual, you will see it generally references SMACNA, NRCA and FM (Factory Mutual). Anyway, I’ll give you that SMCA exists and sets some standards for the Philly area, but SMACNA definitely sets the industry standard.

smacna.org/

u could do away with the step flashing and put it in straight like that roofing.com/gallery/displayi … =0&pos=-27

step flashings can be more hassle than there worth

“step flashings can be more hassle than there worth”

Sure they are a hassle but we charge accordingly. The reason we step flash is because long contiguous cut weakens the masonry work. Although I have seen a few situations where it needed to be used for the most part it is the easy way out.

i dont know about the sizes with copper but on lead we dont use a peice longer than 1.5m long also a step flashing can be prone to leaking after a few years simply due to the fact its stepped rain tends to drive in the step even if its just the slightest bit short i tend to stick to the raggle and over flashing method myself

Step flashings are never big enough to have to worry about expansion and contraction due to size if that’s what you’re talking about. Not sure I understand what you’re saying, Scot. In any case my point was that making a long, straight, diagonal cut through brick, stone or other masonry seriously compromises the strength of the structure. To cut into the mortar and replace the mortar is much better. Hence the step flashing.

raggle/cut is standard practice here

Hello Dennis,
I have see the pictures from copper flashing. This is a really good solution for this problem. The solution is expensive. How many the copper in the Unites States?
The picture from chimney flashing is horrible. In Germany we became not money for this work.

the chimney pic aint mine i think it looks ok anyway that was just an example so the guy knew where i was coming from