ReRoof - No step flashing?

I am in deperate need of expert advice quick. I am undercontract on a 47 year old house and only have about 4 days left in my inspection window.

Here’s my question:

If a new layer of shingle is installed on top of an existing layer does the new layer need its own step flashing? I had a licensed roofing contractor inspect the roof yesterday and noted that the step flashing is under the previous roof layer and not under the new layer of roofing. He noted this will present significant issues down the road is this correct? I also had another contractor look at it today and said it was fine. So now I have two conflicting views and I am looking for some guidance.

Thanks in advance!

Is there any roofing tar under second layer and on top along wall? if not then yes you could have problems down the road.

Yes, you will have significant issues. Each layer requires it’s own flashing interweaved with the shingles. If it had a bucket of roof cement, I’ll fail it on inspection.

Isnt that how they do it in Fl. with the wall flashings not steps?

Personally we dont do roof overs but if we did we would put new steps in.

Yes they do Kage. Roofers have nothing to do with ho it’s spec’d there. State committees of retired postal workers, and sanitation engineers have set the specs in that state.
They have really dumbed the need for knowledge down. No technical knowledge needed.

This is what roofers who have left there and come to Va. have told me. I believe them. They had plenty of know-how and couldn’t use it.

yes we have the same problem with home insp. and WCB workers, never stepped a foot on a roof till they became one of the other…go figure… :roll:

(1st layer)
Each individual shingle on each individual course should have step flashing.The shingle and flashing is sealed against high velocity winds.

(2nd layer)

Each individual shingle on each individual course should have step flashing.The shingle and flashing is sealed against high velocity winds.

Florida or not IMO the wall should be reflashed with new step flashing as with the chimney and any skylights.Anything that can be replaced should be.IMO
(Vents,pipe flashings,ridge vents etc.)

What happens without flashing between the layers is that water seeps in, spreads, rusts the nails, leaks/ shingles fall off roof.

The top layer needs to be flashed, but the flashing’s can be completed in one of two methods.
(Neither can be done unless the existing wall flashing’s are still working, not rusted out or damaged.)

1’st. You can apply roof cement at the tops of each course of new shingles (only on upper portion above the nail strip, not below it/under the tabbed portion.)

2’nd. You can take flat (non bent) step flashing’s and weave them over each course (normal install) and under the existing step flashing’s (deck portion).
You need to cut back the tabs of the existing shingles when using method 2.

I have already done re-roofs on homes I originally did lay overs on 20 plus years ago with one of the two above listed flashing scenarios used and they worked.

A lay over does not fix every problem you might have on a roof. It is best to install new flashing on all sidewalls, skylights, and any pipe that comes through the roof. If I was trying to get your job we wouldn’t do a layover for you. Tearing off the roof gives you the opportunity to fix problems with the roof deck. Do the job right and don’t take shortcuts and you will most likely not have a problem. Also, listen to your gut instinct, and if your a male, ask your wife what you should do and then follow her advice.

Unfortunately with todays economical status some homeowners can only afford to do what they can.I agree that a tear off is the only way to determine any issues with decking or any other structural issues unforseen.

Not this roofer from FL… Steps required regardless in my book…

you could cut the first layer back a foot or 2 from the wall and gently pull the nails and shingles from the step. Tuck ice and water shield under all the step as far as you can manage for some extra protection. Then install your second layer interweaving with the existing step. Other option would be to pull the siding to install new step then reinstall siding but you might need to charge extra for that cause that is time consuming and if a re-roof is all the customer can budget than thats probably out of the question. Sure not every situation can allow for a recover but I think you can still install a good product if you give attention to details.

It is what it is, a re-roof. Not a re-flash, they get what they pay for. If the flashing is good, leave it.

yes they get what they pay for.The wall- roof intersection should of been caulked.
I cant figure out the “experts” that say its ok ,just for this very reason.A couple years ago in our major news paper in the home improvement section told people the roofer was doing nothing but ripping you off if he wont go over top.I emailed the expert but no reply

Ontario, I hear what your saying. Just bury the flashing with caulk or roof cement. Out of sight/out of mind.

Although it is allowed, it is never recommended to shingle over an existing roof. You lose the ability to properly inspect the roofs deck and any flashing. It is extremely easy to convince a property owner to pay the extra to roof their house properly.

Although it is allowed, it is never recommended to shingle over an existing roof. You lose the ability to properly inspect the roofs deck and any flashing. It is extremely easy to convince a property owner to pay the extra to roof their house properly.

“Ontario, I hear what your saying. Just bury the flashing with caulk or roof cement. Out of sight/out of mind.” :smiley: