Reroofing house (TPO vs. EPDM vs. metal)

Three contractors, three recommendations.

I have a low slope mid-century modern that needs a new roof. The previous owners layered rolled asphalt, insulation board, rolled paper of some sort, aggregate (!), more decking, and more rolled asphalt. It’s an archaeological mess and needs to be completely removed.

My problem comes with the recommendations I’m getting from three different contractors. (Note that I am located in the part of the midwest where winters are not particularly harsh and summer temperature don’t usually go over 90 degrees.)

One contractor feels metal is the way to go (it’s easy to install and energy efficient). A second feels metal would be a problem on a low-slope (due to water pressure in the seams from melting snow) and recommends EPDM (he says TPO is not appropriate to this climate). And the third suggests TPO (he’s not of the opinion that it’s inappropriate to our climate and feels EPDM is too fragile).

Can anyone help me sort this out a little more fully?
Thanks.

[quote=“McGinley”]Three contractors, three recommendations.

I have a low slope mid-century modern that needs a new roof. The previous owners layered rolled asphalt, insulation board, rolled paper of some sort, aggregate (!), more decking, and more rolled asphalt. It’s an archaeological mess and needs to be completely removed.

Thanks.[/quote]

Removing the current layers will completely destroy the archaeological value that has been accumulating for half a century.

We’re rolling on the floor laughing here in Ohio. Unfortunately, due to leaks we’re also soaking up quite a bit of water.

I prefer epdm over tpo myself. I feel that it has proved it self more as a quality roof. Can you post pics of your roof? Metal can be a good option if the roof has enough pitch. Can you post pics of your roof?

Go with TPO or PVC with the ribs heat welded on so it looks just like a standing seam metal roof. They have allkinds of colors too. Welded seams are your best bet for a low sloped roof.