Residential roofing consultation fees

To make a long story short.
A homeowner signed my contract.
I went to bat for them with their insurance company.
After many trips to his residence about (40 miles one way) to meet him and his adjuster,
I turned a 4,500.00 half roof job into a 20,000.00 full roof with gutters, fascia, new skylights etc.
The homeowner then gave the work to another contractor.
I really don’t want to be a A$$ and sue him but need something for my time (around 8 hrs).
So I figured that I would send him a bill for consultation fees.
Just wondering what others think is a fair price? I’m thinking $75.00 an HR.
Any, All feedback is appreciated.

Does your contract not have a termination fee? Or anything that requires payment for your investment in time and expense? If not, I suspect you have a formidable challenge in front of you collecting anything.

Ouch…I would say if you had anything pertaining to a termination clause WITH a termination amount.And the customer signed it acknowledging the fee you should be good.If not try a personal approach and explain what you had wrapped up and see if he will show some integrity and give you some compensation.If not experience is a Bit**.You will know NOT to do that again.Feel for you though.I have done that in the past.I refuse to represent ANYONE with the insurance company or an adjuster.I will but sign this contingency first and then we can proceed.These homeowners will dance with you and fix you a cup of coffee and explain the OL’family history with you.BUT when that check comes in…they change the channel on you.This is how I am with contingencies…I did it to my parents TWICE.Nothing personal.just business.Yep ALL my family members are good and honest people but its business.

A.D check your Pm’s

my contract gives the customer 3 days to cancel “by written notice” that’s about it. I do have all the emails between us that clearly authorizes us to do the work. Maybe thats not enough. I guess I’ll have to ad a termination fee to prevent this from happening again.

You should take your contract to a local attorney to determine if you have a case for giving your former Customer an invoice. Or not. Not having seen your contract, it is not possible to offer much of an opinion. Without some type of termination or cancellation clause, given that the contract depended upon getting the claim approved, I’m guessing not. But that’s simply a guess.

If you are considering getting into this type of business, I think a better investment in time and money would be to visit the attorney and have a professional contract put together that will protect your interests.

KCinNE,

With no cancellation notice you are probably out of luck. If the insured is just confused, chalk it up as a lesson learned. If he/she/they are jerks, send them a demand for payment letter with the following then PM me and I’ll send you some ammunition.

"Yours is both a material and anticipatory breach. A material breach is so fundamental that it excuses the aggrieved party (the Company) from further performance and entitles that party to sue for damages. An anticipatory breach is an unequivocal indication that the party - signer(s)/insured(s)/owner(s) - will not perform when performance is due. An anticipatory breach gives the non-breaching party (the Company) the option to treat such a repudiation as an immediate breach and sue for damages.