Ridge Cap

Have been told by contractor that adding ridge cap to new roof will significantly reduce energy bills.
This is adding significant cost to roof replacement, so is that really true??

[quote=“dmcduff9”]Have been told by contractor that adding ridge cap to new roof will significantly reduce energy bills.
This is adding significant cost to roof replacement, so is that really true??[/quote]

He’s probably talking about ridgevent.

Whether or not it will lower your utilities depends on a few things, like if it is currently working or not.

Ridge cap is on every roof. If it is ridge vent weather it’s required will help with you energy bills but will not be significant saving. Sounds like you roofer is trying to upsell you. If you do decide to get ridge vent make sure there is adequate soffit vent otherwise you will be wasting your money.

Ensuring that the attic has proper ventilation is the responsibility of the contractor doing your roof. Proper ventilation requires both adequate intake air and exhaust. The best intake air is soffit vents underneath the overhang of the home. The best roof mounted exhaust depends on the existing conditions of the attic and/or attics along with the design of the roof.

Ridge vent is only one option and not a good one for a hip style roof with only a small amount of qualifying ridge. In that case electrical power vents or wind turbines are a better option.

If your attic ventilation is improved during the process of roofing your home, then you can expect “some” savings on the utility bill. The extent of those savings depends on how much it was improved.

In my professional opinion, the only way it will “Significantly” lower utility costs is if your current ventilation is extremely poor and is improved to extremely good.

Proper attic ventilation is also one of the main factors that determine how long a new roof will last. Shingle roofs don’t fare well when hot stagnant air is left to just sit in the attic and cook them.

It kind of depends where you are located, and if there currently is a roofing ventilation system that is installed to the correct ratio of intake/exhaust.

I see it all the time, that many guys around here just put ridge vent on every house. Having no intake at all. I guess it lets some heat out… but is incorrect.

I looked at a women’s house the other week, she called because she gets huge icicles off the roof. I looked at this 2 years old hip roof, and saw 0 exhaust vents.

I looked in the attic to see maybe the remnants of R-13 insulation. I asked her how it was in the summer upstairs, she said the A/C runs all the time and where the attic access is located gets to be almost 100 degrees.

I suggested two large lomanico static vents since her attic space was only 950 sq ft. She had ventilated soffiting around the whole house. Then I suggested installing R38 fiberglass blown in insulation over the existing, installing foam baffles of course from the soffiting.

I could have guaranteed her in writing it would have been colder, and no 12ft iceciles anymore.

Ridge vent is important if you have vented soffiting. If you have gable vents or no vented soffiting think again, it’s not the correct option without additional work to be done.

Check out Lomanico to see about proper roof venting. Measure your own house and calculate on a 1/150 or 1/300 ratio of air exchange. A long lasting happy roofing system is a well ventilated on.

Ridge caps are installed along the ridge line of a sloped roof -that is the line where the two sloped sides meet. This is where leakage of air /water is sure to happen. Installing ridge caps protects your home from this and naturally reduces energy loss. This will in turn reduce your energy bills. So yes, it is best to add a ridge cap. It also adds a finishing touch to your roof. Some companies like Champion have ridge caps as a standard part of their roofing system. Check out Champion Window reviews and see if you’d like them to help you.

Ridge caps are a standard part of every roof, no matter what company does it.
That and having a window company doing your roof just sounds like a bad idea to me.

I checked Yelp reviews. with 3 reviews they got 1 1/2 stars out of 5. here they are.

2.0 star rating 1/2/2011 First to Review
Basically the sale guys did pressure us and made it feel like if we didn’t sign today, we would miss the deal of the century. I negotiated him down to a price I thought was reasonable and comparable to another estimate I got. Upon the expected delivery date, the sales guy set the expectations higher that what the manufacturer could provide, a window was lost and they had to rebuild another delaying the delivery and installation. Everyone I talked to blamed someone else and no one had an ETA. Eventually the windows arrived 40 days late! I haggled the price down a little more but it was a chore and half. The installation was the best part of this whole experience. The installer was pleasant and did a great job. Everyone else was just after my money. Overall the quality of the windows is great but I think the people before the installation were the issue for me. That’s why they get 2 stars.

My suggestions:

1. Do your homework. Get a general idea what windows you want and learn about the materials and ratings. It will help cut down on the time you spend with the sales guy. I spent 30min listening to guy blab about the windows which would have stretched to 30 more min had I not cut him off. We spent another 30 min negotiating and measuring.
  2. Prepare to negotiate. The sales guys talk fast, they’ll promise just about anything to get you to sign. If you decided to sign. Get it in writing the estimated delivery date and negotiate a penalty for late delivery past X number of days. Get everything in writing. Make them accountable for whatever they promise you!
  3. The sales guy will throw a lot of papers your way and fast. Get copies of everything and make them wait until you’ve finished reading the material they give you.
  4. Pay with your credit card. If things get really bad after signing, charge back the order. You can also use it as leverage as a last resort. At one point I threatened to do this and seriously pissed off the office mgr - but it got their attention…
  5. During the installation - micro manage but be nice about it. This is a big investment so be upfront with the installers that you’ll be walking around and watching - it may save you a call to complain about water leaks and trying to recover damages.
  6. Clear the area around the window the best you can to avoid damages to personal property.
  7. Takes pictures before, during, and after.
  8. Make sure there is foam insulation between the gaps between the window and the frame. If they can stick the nozzle of the foam gun into the gap - it must be filled. I used a mirror to inspect the exterior ( I have a condo on the 3rd floor.)
  9. Make sure the interior and exterior caulking is done properly. Againg use a mirror to expect the outside if needed.

Hope this helps!

Was this review …?

Useful 12 Funny Cool 1
Add owner comment Bookmark Send to a Friend Link to This Review
Review from Tom S.
Photo of Tom S.
0 friends
3 reviews
Tom S.
Kent, WA

1.0 star rating 4/25/2012
We make appt. due to broken window from a burglary (had to take time off work). He gives us a reasonable quote. I say let’s do it, then he turns around and says we’ll have to schedule another appt to measure the window. Umm why? He can’t measure the window? Several days later we had to call them back… (more time off work to make this appt.) Took tech 2 minutes, we don’t hear from them for another week. We call again and ask about window, now they’re saying at least another week for glass to come in and install for 3rd appt. (More time off work to make 3rd appt.) Working with them just seems to be a hassle, they don’t seem to acknowledge the importance of peoples time during the work week, bad customer service, you have to pull information from them.

Look elsewhere for windows.

Was this review …?

Useful Funny Cool
Review from J H.
Photo of J H.
0 friends
18 reviews
J H.
Kirkland, WA

1.0 star rating 6/1/2011
Do not walk. Run away. Too many reasons. Look people, for the most part windows are windows. Glass is glass - vinyl is vinyl. As with the other review…Install Install Install. These guys are from the mid-west and haven’t a clue about the Northwest. Their peculiar take on it can be put this way: You’ll be buying a 42" TV but the viewing area will only equal a 36"

Was this review …?

Useful 1 Funny Cool
1 to 3 of 3 Write a Review
5 other reviews that are not currently recommended
What’s This?About This BusinessProvided by business
Specialties
Champion does it all: helps you design your project, build it, install it, and comprehensively guarantees it. Customers have shared that, following their investment in Champion products, they have dropped their energy bills, increased their home’s comfort, enhanced their re-sale value, protected their family’s health and experienced their best home project - ever! Champion’s mission is providing homeowners their “Safest Choice - Best Experience - Performance They Can Trust.”

Ridge is the top level edge. Hip joints are where two roofs meet at an angle.
If you have enough area for ventilation on the top ridge, then you can just remove the mess and the wood blocks and run single tabs down the hip.
Putting a ridge vent on a hip you get more of a chance of water blowing into the vent.