Roof buggy

Do any of you own a equipter roof buggy?heard they were around 40 grand but they looked awesome just wondered how they are working from exp.

ROOFMAX WILL TELL YA!!

a local roofer just bought one and he says business has increased since purchasing it.I dont see one in my near future but maybe someday …unless it a peice of chit

I’m sure it is nice to have and it does have it’s supporters but 40,000 is alot for a piece of equipment that is gonna save an average of maybe two hours clean up for two laborers a day. hell i’ll be generous 3 hours :smiley: so lets do the math a five day work week, it’ll save you $240 at $8 an hour(remember i said laborers). That would only take 166 months to pay for itself. hell at 10 an hour it’d still take 2.5 years. thats just me though. Around here it’s not how nice the equipment is,it’s the price and the quality of work.
So in short tooo rich for my blood. I’ll keep my $3500 dump trailer :mrgreen:

Isnt 8 dollars an hour below minimum wage now?

I start fresh new people that know absolutely nothing at 12.

I think it would also be better at saving foot injuries to people and pets since you walk in and dump instead of tossing everything to the ground. I know… we use magnets too, but you know as well as I do that unless you do everything yourself, people get lazy and miss sometimes.

7.55 is min wage of the last time i checked which was last year. In this area 8 is not too low for people with no exp and you have to train. I’m still loosing jobs down here cause there are people that still roof for 12 on/ 12 off.
Can’t really see the advantage either for foot damage. I throw into a trailer 95% of the time directly from the roof. Only time i don’t is when i don’t have access. and that has to be severe to make me double handle. Ya i use a magnet too its about 3.5 ft wide and weighs about 75 lbs.
Only other disadvantage i see, i don’t like going to the landfill with less than 40 sq in the back so i doubt that little bugie handling it and i’d hate to drive two trucks to a job two hours away when one would take care of it
Even at 12 an hour you’d still be looking at 2 yrs to work it off. Like i said before tooooo rich for my blood

Theres another roofer on here that has one. He’s told me that he likes it, but he’s not “over the top” like ROOFMAX.

one of my competitors has one, you still need a dumpster. i’ll just keep using my fleet of dump trailers. $7.25 is minimum wage in NY. I have people lined up for days to shovel the ground at $8/hr.

[quote=“rooferwill”]7.55 is min wage of the last time i checked which was last year. In this area 8 is not too low for people with no exp and you have to train. I’m still loosing jobs down here cause there are people that still roof for 12 on/ 12 off.
Can’t really see the advantage either for foot damage. I throw into a trailer 95% of the time directly from the roof. Only time i don’t is when i don’t have access. and that has to be severe to make me double handle. Ya i use a magnet too its about 3.5 ft wide and weighs about 75 lbs.
Only other disadvantage i see, i don’t like going to the landfill with less than 40 sq in the back so i doubt that little bugie handling it and i’d hate to drive two trucks to a job two hours away when one would take care of it
Even at 12 an hour you’d still be looking at 2 yrs to work it off. Like i said before tooooo rich for my blood[/quote]

I understand your points.

Sorry about the minimum wage thing. I have never paid minimum wage for roofing. It is just too damn hard to pay so little.

What did you mean by bringing two trucks?

I would amortize a 40K purchase over 5 years. You never feel it. People are working for 12 off and 12 on? How do you live and raise a family on that?

I would like to appreciate you for sharing such an quality information with us.

[quote=“AaronB.”]I understand your points.

Sorry about the minimum wage thing. I have never paid minimum wage for roofing. It is just too damn hard to pay so little.

What did you mean by bringing two trucks?

I would amortize a 40K purchase over 5 years. You never feel it. People are working for 12 off and 12 on? How do you live and raise a family on that?[/quote]

Minimum wage is actually 7.15 down here. Ya i believe roofing is too hard for minimum wage but i can’t pay more than i get paid.

Well the buggie only looks like it would hold about 12-15 sq of tear off. If the landfill is roughly an hour away thats two hours everyday to take it to the landfill. My dump trailer can hold about 40-50 sq.Or you could have a dumpster on site which will cost more money

The way i make a living down here is i don’t try to compete with their price. I let my quality of work do my talking. My main contractor used a local cheap company for a nursing home in ky and it took them 4 months to roof about 350 sq. they would actually tear off a big section, cover it with a tarp then come back a week later to roof it. I am doing all of his jobs now. He actually admitted it was a hugh mistake not to let me have the job. It makes a roofer feel good when a contractor see the error of their ways :smiley:

It is strange:The guy doing most of the volume round here now is a new construction refugee. Cheating the HELL out of npayroll taxes, he is 1099ing his employees and doing work @ about $2-230 a sq. range.

He has had a Buggy for over a year.

Now why would a guy cheating on taxes like that need to try and save a few dollars with a Roofers Buggy?

I am searching for a dump trailer - I am thinking about getting one. Anyone know where to find one?

Northern Indiana or MI. Look in the Auto Trader. These things have been going a little cheaper lately

NOW ITS MY TURN. roof pros i have had my roofers buggy 5 years now , there is so many benfits , its hard to list them all. ill keep it short. it does not cost you to have a buggy .it cost you not to have a buggy. most of ywa cant see past the price,to see the benifets.yaw are rally missing out big time. this is my ace card, ill brag some more later. but those that dont have one dont have a clue what there talking about. and thay are $31400. thank you aaron beiler. best residential roofing invention ever , :stuck_out_tongue:

BamBam,

I have a couple dump trailers both bought new. How I found them both was by buying an equipment trader mag. and then calling a couple trailer dealerships and talked pricing.

The first purchase was back in late 03. 2004 PJ 14ft 14gvw with addditional steel side extenders and spare tire and rim out the door for a tad under $6K.

In the Summer of 08 called the same place to buy another and was quoted $8,600 for the exact same trailer! Out of the trader mag found another place who ended up selling me the exact same trailer for $7,500, 09 PJ.

The 09 has been a great unit but it’s only been used on about 100 or so roofs. The 04 on the other hand has been used on several hundred roofs and I feel now has had all the modifactions done to it to make it as good as the 09. The door hinges were changed to with new ones with grease zerts. The door system was modified so it no longer had a lip on the bottom of the back were things caught on it.

I sort of like the 04 side wall extender better than the 09 because you can take off the sides in sections. The 09 has one piece sides which are tough to remove solo. The 09 is wider though so it can hold more shingle debris. Most I’ve getten in it so far is 60 sq but have also squeezed that much in the 04.

The roof buggy looks really slick but there’s a price to pay for it. If it was half I would think about buying one. Heard of a roofer in MN with one but have never seen one in action. Most of competition is from Mexico and they use horse lead ropes wrapped around them on steep roofs and toss everything down with no boards. At $40-50 a sq off/on they would have to work many years to buy one. They can however swing to buy nice new duallys!

What I would rather run would be a Lull with a large basket. Of course these would not be good on yards. They would reach way higher than a buggy and you could put way more inside them. The framers have loaded full pallets of shingles on them and gone up a couple stories and it seems very solid. The basket on one of my friends Lull is 16ft wide and it’s got two 4ft exentenders that fold down. Of course it’s not OSHA approved. On those jobs they use a little wooded personal box with the magic marker stating “Osha approved”!!

I would rather drop $31K on a good used dually than a buggy. For that price you can score a pretty nice lift.

We lay 3/4" plywood “roads” for the lift. Expensive at first but they last for years

Dougger - Have you found the dump trailer to be beneficial? Does it save time and money rather than just having a dumpster company come and drop off a dumpster? I am paying 300 for a 20 yard dumpster so I am trying to weigh out the costs and benefits.

It would be nice to have the trailer so I always have a place to throw debris available, but on the other hand then I will have to maintain the trailer - more wear and tear on the vehicle and so on.

[quote=“BAMBAMM5144”]Dougger - Have you found the dump trailer to be beneficial? Does it save time and money rather than just having a dumpster company come and drop off a dumpster? I am paying 300 for a 20 yard dumpster so I am trying to weigh out the costs and benefits.

It would be nice to have the trailer so I always have a place to throw debris available, but on the other hand then I will have to maintain the trailer - more wear and tear on the vehicle and so on.[/quote]

TYPE IN SEVEN SECRETS OF ROOFERS, and see what is said about roofers who use dumpsters. :cry: