Roof to wall flashing still not resolved

I had my roof redone for first time a year ago. Bungalow with attached garage, house built in ‘97, pretty straightforward.

Found out at end of day they had issue with flashing where roof meets wall and I come home to exposed step flashing.

First thing I thought was whoa, that’s not right. Company assured me they were not done and would be adding more white counter flashing to cover.

I’m familiar enough with building construction to know a seal against stucco like that will fail over time. There should be proper path for water to ensure it has no opportunity to get ‘behind’ the flashing (flashing should go behind stucco).

I told them I did not want counter flashing and that I’ve seen many houses in my area re-roofed, and never seen flashing applied at wall like that, and that it just looked wrong. They removed the new flashing, and did some work with the flashing that existed, to salvage it, and it looked back to ‘normal’.

Now, the roof is leaking at the wall (my garage is unfinished, so it’s not totally bad), and small leak.

I don’t know what to do now. Is there no way to fix this without the ‘flashing just glued to the outside’ method?? I don’t like that option at all, but don’t want leak either.

Any advice would be appreciated!!

You can see the old flashing in one of the photos-doesn’t look like step flashing though, but is there any way to make it work/reuse it?

Thanks!

You hired shinglers as opposed to roofers.

I would not be happy with that & they could have reused the existing flashing.

1 Like

Its leaking because they were so stupid that they ran the underlayment on top of the existing flashing instead of under it.

Geez, it must not rain at all over there…

1 Like

Actually, they ran the underlayment over the old flashing, then they put new step flashing (the one you see against the stucco) over that.

What bugs me is all houses in my area are same age, many have new roofs , nobody else in my neighborhood has needed the external flashing on outside of stucco. That’s why I told them to remove it. Plus fact I don’t think it is proper path for water.

Is there a proper technique or something I can tell the roofing company to do to utilize the old flashing? Do they need to tie it in somehow?

My roof leaks and the company says only way to prevent it is to glue flashing to outside of stucco (covered with counter flashing of course) but i still think that is wrong way.

Am I correct to assume you had interlocking shingles before laminates were installed? If so, they may have tried to do the right thing but failed miserably. Step flashing for interlocking shingles is 12" (if I remember correctly) and step for laminates is 9". That means rather than trimming and slipping in an extra piece or two, they simply installed all new flashing without understanding it also goes behind the stucco, which is virtually impossible unless you cut away the stucco and install counter flashing. Had they run 36" or 44" Ice and Water underneath the existing step all along the slope and then trimmed down the “upwall” side to slip under the stucco trim, they could have made it work without worry. But … they were too stupid to figure that out. Sorry for your woes.

40 years ago in Atlanta, some GCs had us run sticks of “J” flashing. Basically what you have, but with a 1/2" lip bent back towards the wall at a 60? degree angle. Underlay goes down on the deck, “J” metal, then butt the shingles tight to the wall. Any water that got on the flashing ran the whole wall to run out at the eave. Only other option other than re-stucco, would be to run the shingles under that flashing, tar/counter tar on the shingles, then paint the flashing to match.

We would get ice/water under existing flashing, install a butyl backed flex flash or similar tile malleable flashing that is 9 inches wide right over existing flashing. We would crowd it right to the wall so butyl sealed tight then cut a small waterway on shingles, of course dog earing the top of each.

Actually, the old shingles were just standard 3 tab shingles.

I’m really hoping to leave stucco entact. Who would have thought it would be this complicated :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:?

Maybe I should get someone local to take a look at it to get second opinion ?

It’s not complicated at all. You just had the misfortune of hiring morons. I bet the old flashing is still there and can be set in place but all the shingles along that area will need to be replaced. 2 bundles should be plenty.