Roof Vent Snow Intrusion

My home (midwest USA) has slant back style roof vents, similar to Lomanco 700 series. Pretty standard around here. All the vents are on the back side (north side) of the roof so as not to be visible from the street. On a couple occasions during blizzard conditions, snow has blown into the attic space through these vents. The snow then melts, creating water stains on the ceiling.

Is there any product that can be placed inside these vents to act as a barrier to blowing snow, without impeding air flow for venting?

Is there an alternate design roof vent that would be more effective at preventing snow intrusion? I would rather not change to a ridge vent.

[quote=“Dark Eyes”]My home (midwest USA) has slant back style roof vents, similar to Lomanco 700 series. Pretty standard around here. All the vents are on the back side (north side) of the roof so as not to be visible from the street. On a couple occasions during blizzard conditions, snow has blown into the attic space through these vents. The snow then melts, creating water stains on the ceiling.

Is there any product that can be placed inside these vents to act as a barrier to blowing snow, without impeding air flow for venting?

Is there an alternate design roof vent that would be more effective at preventing snow intrusion? I would rather not change to a ridge vent.[/quote]

Remove the can style vents and install shinglevent II ridgevent.
This will fix the problem.

You could be the envy of the neighborhood with your own snow cone apparatus.,.,Not sure if winter would be an ideal season for profits though.

Axiom is correct.,.,ridge vent Snow guard is a great vent system.IMO

Personally I would go with ridge vent. If you insist on keeping the cans you could try stapling furnace filter to the attic sheathing. Not saying this will work but the rolls you cut to fit are pretty cheap so it can’t hurt to try. Basically that’s all the filter on SVII is. Snow may still collect on top of the filter.

Nice and informative thread thanks for posting it.

I said I would rather not get a ridge vent, and all responses tell me to get a ridge vent. Okay, I get it. I was just hoping some other alternatives might be offered.

Why are you against ridge vents?

May be because shinglevent is better than II ridgevent.

EVERYONE!!! ANIMALS ON ROOFS OR ATTICS???
CHECK THIS OUT - JUST NEW APPARENTLY

WWW.VENTGUARDPLUS.COM

I cant speak from experience but at 2 minutes 10 sec through this video they show a screen added to a Lomanco 700 vent