Roof venting

I am having condenstaion issues in my attic. Currently I have gable vents on the East and West ends of my house. I also have ridge vent and no eve vents. The eves are closed off to the attic space with a board that would be difficult to remove. Do I need to close off the ridge vent the entire way or leave a small portion open in the middle? Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

You need intake ventilation.

I’m guessing that you are suggesting soffit vents. That is going to be an extensive repair. I am wondering if I need to close off the ridge vent and just use the gable vents?

Sure, go ahead.
It still won’t work unless you have intake ventilation.
There usually isn’t a cheap easy way to properly fix this.

You could use smatvents made at dciproducts.com/html/smartvent.htm , all work is up on roof you dont have to touch soffits.

My understanding is that with just gable vents the attic should vent, just not as good as with sofit vents and ridge venting. With the gable vents and the ridge vent as soon as the air comes in the gable it is exiting the ridge, correct? Should I eliminate the ridge venting and just rely on the gable vents? One gable would work as an intake and the other as an exhaust.

It would be better to cover the gable vents and leave the ridgevents alone.

It doesn’t really matter what you do if you have no intake, in order for air to exhaust out the gable and/or ridgevents there has to be air coming in from somewhere to replace it.
You will have some air leakage from inside the house but this just results in higher heating bills.

Something as simple as an unsealed attic access can affect how well the ventilation system works.

That board that blocks the soffit area from your attic space, you could get a power drill auger bit (1" diameter x 17"long) and drill some holes in that piece of wood to act as a flow through, then you can put some soffit vent in.

I know it would be a pain the buttock to lay inside your attic drilling holes all day, but once your done, ITS DONE!

Gable vents should be fine, providing they are drawing properly (ie, they are not covered). Usually when I see condensation in the attic it is due to exhaust vents from inside the house venting into the attic rather than outside the house. If the condensation is in one area and the ventilation is not the issue it may be a roofing issue. If it is all over the attic, it may be an insulation issue. I see a lot of issues that are not vent related around chimneys which usually means they need new flashing or re-pointing.

If you have no soffitt vents…then all of the warm moist air will stagnate and condense over the insulation and the underside of the plywood.

You can close the gable vents or keep them open…(do what you will like)…will do no justice until you have soffitt vents at the lowest part of the roof structure

Back in The Golden Olden Days when many times attic insulation was a thin after thought, and minimal gable end vents were THE ventilation system, it seems in my un-official observations, there were no ventilation issues… all the heat simply went bye bye, instead of damaging the wood.

Nowadays, in the modern world, with tighter houses I do not know how gable end vents alone will suffice.

When I see them I think “Decorative” and “Short Circuit” only, UNLESS> it is a small cramped attic area where nothing else will work as well

Now I step aside for the experts

You MUST have soffit vents and closing the gables or like said above you will have a mositure issue.

Heat rises and it will eventually work it’s way out with a ridge vent cut open.

What we have found to work against moisture is this:
lomanco.com/ProductPAGES/2000.html

However, you must remove ridge vent and install boxed aluminum roof vents spaced atleast 10-15lf away from fan. This fan has a humidistat on it and will run year round’. I had atleast 5 customers with same probs and by doing this, problem fixed. You cannot use this fan or any fan with a ridge vent.

ive been doing a lot of attic ventilating recently… the smart vent previously mentioned is one of the best. when you cant cut into soffit then the next best step is to go 5 to 6 inches up from the drip edge and cut open a one inch slit all the way across the bottom eave. directions come enclosed. this way your still at a very low point for intake. theres 2 brands that i know: smart vent and air vent. one comes in 4 foot sections and the other in 3 ft. they’re tapered so the shingles go right over them.
theres also another new product. a fascia board with a built in vent! but its not wood, its like that azek board , plastic so it outlasts wood but expensive.