Roofer insists on me filing a claim - is this legal?

My husband and I purchased a home in April 2010, knowing it needed a new roof. We took this off the asking price when making an offer and set aside cash for the new roof. I am now asking for quotes, and last night, I had a company show up. The gentleman only took pictures of the “hail damage” on my roof. When I asked about condition, what needed to be done, and price, he would ignore me and kept asking me for my insurance information, which I declined to give him. Tried to look at my garage, which was only built 10 years ago and told me he could get me new siding. BTW, the roof is over 25 years old; it may be 50 years old. I am NOT filing an insurance claim on that old of a roof! Is this legal?

As well, where can I find a roofer in the Chicago area who will take cash for a new roof? I do not want to commit insurance fraud.

Cyn

What is the connection between cash and insurance fraud.
Also…why cash in the first place?

[quote=“4 seasons”]What is the connection between cash and insurance fraud.
Also…why cash in the first place?[/quote]

Well, I am an honest person, and I can tell you that an insurance adjuster would laugh at me if I was to file an insurance claim on my roof. Once the claim is denied, my homeowners insurance would be jacked up. Again, my husband and I knew the roof needed to be replaced and set aside money for the job to be done.

Are all roofers ripoff artists who scam insurance companies?

From this forum and others I know of two very good and knowledgeable roofers from the chicagoland area.

Perhaps they may even see this thread.

[quote=“Cynbok”]

Well, I am an honest person, and I can tell you that an insurance adjuster would laugh at me if I was to file an insurance claim on my roof. Once the claim is denied, my homeowners insurance would be jacked up. Again, my husband and I knew the roof needed to be replaced and set aside money for the job to be done.

Are all roofers ripoff artists who scam insurance companies?[/quote]

LOL Pretty much the state of the industry, yes. And the adjusters are about as goofy. Heck file the claim and get the “free” roof… or not.

The Chicago land area had 3 bad storms this year that produced hail and caused major damage all over. It was in the news. I think the gentlemen that came out to your home might have been a little inexperienced, and tried to push the insurance claim down your throat. He didn’t take the time to educate you about the process and was asking for private information without building enough rapport with you to make you comfortable. I know that you have the money to invest in a new roofing system, and that you thought the roof needed to be replaced anyway. One thing that you have to take into consideration is that if the existing roofing system had 3 more years of useful life and your house was damaged by the hail storm and now you need a new roofing system, than the insurance company would owe you for a new roofing system. The funny thing is, in all my years of handling insurance claims, the insurance adjusters rarely take in account the age of the roof, or state that the roofing system should have been replaced years ago. They are there to see if your existing roofing system has suffered direct physical loss from the storm. There is no fraud in turning in an insurance claim on an old roof that has suffered wind or hail damage. The reality of the situation is that your premiums are probably going up due to the storms in the Chicago land area anyway. You’re going to be paying for your new roof twice. I would call a company that specializes in storm restoration, have them review your roofing system and educate you on the insurance process and how that applies to your particular situation. If you feel comfortable with that company, and it’s been determined you have hail damage, have them handle your claim and get your roofing system taken care of. The truth is 99.5 % of America would turn that claim in and never think anything about it.

[quote=“Cynbok”]

This troll continues to seek attention.

Do you trust your insurance company? If so, why not let them come out and decide? I can assure you they wont buy it if they dont think its legit.

[quote=“Cynbok”]

No,there are a handful of honest roofers,and I think most are on this site.

[quote=“Cynbok”]

I doubt if your rates could be raised for a storm related claim. In my state, it is against the law for insurers to raise rates for a homeowner for filing a storm related complaint anyway.

As to all the roofers being ripoff artists… If you think you should make idiotic, prejudiced, nasty comments like that, then go deal with this on your own.

Cynbok,

You will not find the answers you are looking for here. Move along.

Geez - thanks for all the flames! (and helpful comments too)

First off, I am NOT a troll! This is the first time I have ever shopped for a roof and I am super confused. I did not mean to trash the entire roofing industry; in fact, I do have one quote and company I do like, but I do need additional quotes.

When our inspection was performed in March 2010, an inspection report and pictures did go to our insurance company in order to get the homeowners insurance going. The roof was toast in March 2010, and does not look a lot different now. Many hailstorms over the last 30 years probably did the damage to the roof, especially one in 2000.

If this was a roof that was, err…5 or 10 years old, I would file a claim with an insurance company. But a roof somewhere between 25 and 50, and especially when the insurance company has pictures of what it looked like in March, I don’t have much of a case.

Bottom line - I DO NOT want to use an insurance company to replace my roof and want to bypass this part of the process. I am replacing a roof because it is at the end of its useful life, not because of hail damage. Heck, the potential roofer would get my $ a heck of a lot quicker than some insurance check (if it ever went through).

Cyn

It is unfortunate that you have paid all that money in your life to insurance companies, and when you finally have what could be a legitimate claim, you choose to let them keep your money.

This is the first time I have EVER heard of something like this. Hmm, possibly pay 500-1000 (whatever your deductible is) or thousands out of pocket.

[quote=“BAMBAMM5144”]It is unfortunate that you have paid all that money in your life to insurance companies, and when you finally have what could be a legitimate claim, you choose to let them keep your money.

This is the first time I have EVER heard of something like this. Hmm, possibly pay 500-1000 (whatever your deductible is) or thousands out of pocket.[/quote]

OK - my husband and I have only owned this home for 5 months. The roof is over 25 years old. An insurance company would deny this claim in a heartbeat.

However, the consensus here is that I have a legit claim even though my roof is super old and the insurance company won’t jack my rates if I file a claim that would either get denied or have a very low payback level. I still don’t feel comfortable about filing a claim on a super-old roof that probably did not get further damaged in the 5 months that we have lived here. I guess all I can do is get other opinions - hopefully somebody who can steer me in the right direction.

Cynbok you’re dilemma is with your conscience, not your roof.

My own estimation is that only about 20% of the populace has any honesty left. And I would guess it is the same % in almost all industries, even roofing.

Cyn…Just curious after reviewing all commentary -

How is it that you are comfortable with detailed working protocols that revolve around the insurance industry, and making a loss claim?

In my opinion the “right direction” starts with the simple premise-

Did the (supposed) damage occur while YOU were paying for insurance protection, or not?

On the other hand, discovered damage can occur long after a property changes hands.

The previous owner/owners may make a claim for (wind/hail/debris) damage that occurred, even though many years may have gone by from the “event” that (supposedly) caused damage. The loss claim clock starts “upon discovery” in many areas of the country.

If the claim has merit, the previous owner can turn those insurance dollars over to you.

Finally, a C.L.U.E. report may help you personally, and as Gus Jones suggested, help you make a balanced decision you can live with.

I am not bashing you or the way you want to handle the situation.

It is just something I have never heard of before.

I know I have personally paid countless thousands of dollars for personal and business to insurance companies and have never had ONE claim for anything.

It is illegal for insurance companies to jack your rates.

You know it is about time someone stands up to these greedy stormers and tells them I will pay for it. Miss you are right the roof is shot and the insurance will deny the claim. They may suggest you go after the previous owner and their insurance, but I love your approach if I lived in Chicago or you wanted to pay for the hotel I would bring one of my crews to do the roof. Stay strong o hope it works out

i agree. cyn is being a very honest person. if i were you i would just try and see what the Insurance company has to say. if they deny it the so be it, if they go for a replacement then thats on them and them only. this world is full of people taking advantage of others and in my opinion, even tho insurance is important in this day and age, they are the leaders in taking advantage of people.

So very true…and across the nation at that.

And probably across the globe.

Give Thomas a call. http://www.reliableamerican.us/
Tell him Frank sent you. I think you’ll be happy with him.
Insurance would deny that claim.