Roofer just finished re-roof... but things look wrong?

It is usually what happens when a homeowner doesn’t use a “FACTORY CERTIFIED” installer and go for the “CHEAPER” quote. Good luck with that. You’ll need it. You need to get a “FACTORY REP” out to verify how wrong it is and then go to small claims court and at least get “MOST” of your money back “IF” the roofer (IF THAT IS WHAT YOU WANNA CALL THEM). Sorry about that, but what I always tell my customers, " GO WITH THE CHEAPER QUOTE, BUT DON’T CALL US OUT TO FIX IT WHEN YOU HAVE ISSUES"

• Bama Roofers

If the roofer is still in business was what I intended on saying.

Just read your post. Congrats!!! You’ll be fine now. I would ask for some upgrades.
GAF Lifetime shingles are better and come with a lifetime warranty for labor and materials. Certainteed is not the best, nor the best warranties. With a “FACTORY CERTIFIED MASTER ELITE” contractor, the “GAF” rep will come out and certify your roof, from the manufacture. It is called the “GOLDEN PLEDGE” warranty. Check it out.
I would request a better underlayment as well, because I bet they used 15# felt, which is not acceptable for a steep pitch roof. Deck Armor is a good product. 6 plus nails PER SHINGLE.

I’ve seen “factory certified” crews screw stuff up too.

Factory certification means pretty much nothing and is available to any roofers who wish to use it.

It’s a marketing gimmick.

GAF makes 2nd rate material that sells at a 1st rate price, they spend all their money on marketing, putting lipstick on a pig…

Well, not trying to get into a debate here, but you are correct and incorrect. When the manufacture rep comes out to my homeowner and “INSPECTS” the roof, before GAF certifies it, from the company, it is a sure bet that it is done right.
There are “CERTIFIED” installers, then there are “MASTER ELITE” installers. Big difference. Look it up. And yes, anyone can screw a roof up, but GAF will not certify the roof without the inspection, therefore it does give the homeowner another set of eyes. I will sell against a non-certified roofer any day, and win.
Any roofer that isnt certified, is usually small time or has bad credit.
Certainteed fades faster and doesn’t “LAY” as good as GAF. My company did $5 Million last year, and we never had a bad GAF.

I welcome new people to the forum and generally like hearing other opinions from knowledgeable people. We may not always agree on everything but I try to respect other opinions if they can back it up.

Now this is the thing you posted that I don’t agree with

“It is usually what happens when a homeowner doesn’t use a “FACTORY CERTIFIED” installer and go for the “CHEAPER” quote. Good luck with that. You’ll need it. You need to get a “FACTORY REP” out to verify how wrong it is and then go to small claims court and at least get “MOST” of your money back “IF” the roofer (IF THAT IS WHAT YOU WANNA CALL THEM). Sorry about that, but what I always tell my customers, " GO WITH THE CHEAPER QUOTE, BUT DON’T CALL US OUT TO FIX IT WHEN YOU HAVE ISSUES”

There is absolutely nothing wrong with not being certified (or being certified for that matter). Yes, I am sure if has its benefits for you as you can use it as a selling feature but it does not mean that a crew is lightyears ahead of any other experienced crew set on installing a quality roof. Am I correct in assuming that when your company started you weren’t “gaf certified” right out of the gate (I don’t know of any company that was)? I am sure if that is the case your roofs didn’t go from total disasters like the one that was described here to flawless masterpieces overnight just cause of “certification”. If your company is big time, doing well and you are doing things on the up and up then respect and more power too you. I am not certified (small company like you guessed, good credit though) and I just don’t like it when I am talking to a potential customer and have to hear “oh this company said you can’t possibly expect a quality job from a non certified company” and other such b.s.

1 Like