Roofer Training

Hey guys,

i am a relative new roofer, well at least one that just started his own company. i got a quick question for ya’ll. I want to start getting into insurance claim work and was wondering what kind of specialized training if any i could get for my employees to make them more effective?

any thoughts?

The best training is in the field.Working with ‘old dogs’ is better than any book or school.The best way to teach your guys is to hire someone that has extensive experience.JMO

[quote=“theROOFdude13”]Hey guys,

i am a relative new roofer, well at least one that just started his own company. i got a quick question for ya’ll. I want to start getting into insurance claim work and was wondering what kind of specialized training if any i could get for my employees to make them more effective?

any thoughts?[/quote]

So you are new to roofing, just started a roofing company, and want to chase insurance claims. Hmmmm, I’ll pass.

While there is nothing like on the job training, I still say class room training is also very good. I attended apreticeship school for roofing and yes they did really teach you some things. You got a journeyman certificate from the state after graduating. You have to be union member for this though. There are also many manurfactuers that offer training on there products and GAF and Certainteed will send you a manual for free. I applaud you for recognizing the importance of this. never stop learning.

I agree with all 3 posts.

Here’s the question: new to the business, dont know much about it and you want to run with the big boys chasing storms. Why?

do you have the capitol it will take to get the roofing company off the ground? with insurance and every other thing under the sun (pun) to do this? your talking honestly 30k to start and thats if you have good crews and good salesmen. If not honestly your odds on failing are high. I will explain, your new to roofing and you want to open a business that demands 18 hour days and watch money go out the door like water and seeing a return weeks from the day you get the contract signed. Dont get me wrong im not trying to put you down.

I am trying to let you see what can happen, everything you worked for gone on 1 bad decision. I know guys right now with over 100k waiting on their money from the insurance company. Now understand this is a company that has been around for a good amount of time but seriously very few people in this world have 100k credit at a supply house now. follow me here.

30k to start insurance llc ect.
average roof cost 7k per roof you pay upfront

How much money do you have to do that and wait. I forgot 1 thing you need a good salesman. Now i know fella’s that dont use contracts and have more work than they can handle.Then i know guys waiting on the insurance to release the funds.

Unless you damn right know what you are doing you will have serious issues.