Roofers from UK, Europe, Canada, etc. - question for you

I want to know the units you use when measuring roofs / ordering materials.

Here is what I assume:

• Square meters for roof area
  • meters for drip edge
  • CM for insulation thickness
  • In Canada, I suspect some use 10x10 ft squares and some use square meters…

Here are the questions:

What is the typical length (in meters) of a drip edge - both for asphalt shingles and commercial flat roofing?

What is the typical size of ISO or other flat roof insulation board?

What length screws?

How do you measure roof pitch? In inches/cm rise over 12 inch / x cm run or in degrees?

What is the typical length of a ridge vent roll? In US it’s 20 feet or 4 foot sections.

Anything else that I missed or some other thing I am not aware of?

Thanks

[quote=“LAMetalRoofs”]I want to know the units you use when measuring roofs / ordering materials.

Here is what I assume:

• Square meters for roof area
  • meters for drip edge
  • CM for insulation thickness
  • In Canada, I suspect some use 10x10 ft squares and some use square meters…

Here are the questions:

What is the typical length (in meters) of a drip edge - both for asphalt shingles and commercial flat roofing?

What is the typical size of ISO or other flat roof insulation board?

What length screws?

How do you measure roof pitch? In inches/cm rise over 12 inch / x cm run or in degrees?

What is the typical length of a ridge vent roll? In US it’s 20 feet or 4 foot sections.

Anything else that I missed or some other thing I am not aware of?

Thanks[/quote]

Here in Canada:
Drip edge, wall flashing, valley flashing come in 10 foot lengths.
ISO, insulation board comes in 4’ X 8’ sheets.
3" and 4" screws.
Roof pitch is measured inches over inches.
Duroflo (junk) is a 20’ roll, OmniRoll comes in 20’ and 30’ rolls, and Lo-Omni comes in the 4 foot sections.

We drive in the metric system and we build houses on the Standard (US) system.
But we do have the best damned screwdriver ever made, the Robertson :stuck_out_tongue:

ok, so Canada is pretty much same as US … no differences at all. OK then … now I want to know o0nly from UK / Europe / the rest of the world who use metric system.

All our drawings are in millimeters, but when it comes to actual construction our materials are either from or for the States, so we’re stuck in Imperial limbo until you guys switch over.

Ha ha! Best screwdriver ever made = The Robertson?

Not better that Tito’s and freshed squeezed OJ.

Seriously, I bet it is tough measuring per the metric system and then installing US made / US dimensional products.

I got a set of plans sent to me the other day from an architect based in Mexico City for a house to be built in Houston for a Mexican national fleeing crime and kidnapping threats. It was all in metric and I’m wired for Imperial. My head almost exploded. He had enough snap to send the PDF file plans adjusted for Imperial to this “steenkin’ gringo.”

Funny thing is that most lumber is nominal measurements, so a 2x4 isn’t even 2"x4" :lol: (38mm x 89mm)

@ shazapple -

it’s all fun and dandy, but I don’t really care about converting from metric to imperial and back … I’m pretty sure i can convert back and forth … I mean even “imperial” plans are a PITA to use … especially that most architects never put down measurements, and u need to do the old ruler trick :shock:

For the purposes of this thread, I need to know how they measure roofs in “civilized world” :slight_smile: What length accessories they use, etc.

Yeah, the Square one :mrgreen:

just use a scale rule and its simple.