Roofing CRM and Estimation Software Recommendation

My roofing company has grown quickly and I wanted to see if anyone can recomend a good CRM and Estimation software made for roofing companies?

Thank you,

Dustin

Sorry Roofcheck, I’m not authorized to get private messages yet.

I hear a lot of good things about David Deschaine- StartmyRoofingBusiness.com.

Again I hear, have not bought. Good luck!

We use ACT! for CRM. I’ve spent 300 man hours+ customizing it to essentially do everything else from estimating to invoicing and sales commissions. We use Xactimate for insurance estimating, if you’re doing insurance work, I can’t imagine using anything else. If you’re mostly doing cash bids, an Excel spread sheet would be more than adequate. Before I built the ACT! database, we used an Excel Workbook I put together that did just about everything from the contact data to the material order to the invoicing and sales commissions. As we got larger, I wanted to track data which the Excel Workbook wouldn’t/couldn’t do.

If you’re talking about getting takeoffs and roof drawings, we use Pictometry and Xactimate or RoofCAD.

A lot of good things about Deschaine like what? You know he is in bankruptcy right?

pressherald.com/news/Auction … actor.html

Go to www.acculynx.com - best CRM for roofers hands down.

At the risk of breaking any forum spam rules because I’m so new, I’d recommend the National Estimator cost estimating software line. It’s affordable, powerful, updates itself monthly, and you can port everything right into QuickBooks. You can find them online at Contractor City, they’ve got good product descriptions there. For CRM you can try AccuLynx or XactLink, both are designed especially for roofers.

[quote=“AnythingWeather”]A lot of good things about Deschaine like what? You know he is in bankruptcy right?

pressherald.com/news/Auction … actor.html

Go to acculynx.com - best CRM for roofers hands down.[/quote]

Exactly. Just reading some of this guy’s post on the internet made me ill.

I am also new to this site, but the best bid platform w a CRM I found is Estimation Pro. My company provides salesman to roofing companies who need experienced salesman, we use estimation pro, it’s fast and it stores all my jobs, everything my sales force bids is at my finger tips.
It’s worth every penny.
Good luck

I am new as well and am in the same situation as Dustin. I have just started to read everyone’s views and wanted to say thank you. I have also done a little research on a few of the companies and am just not for sure what my best option is. My questions is whats the pros and cons of Acculynx and EstimationPro? All I have seen is the positives, I know that there has to be some negatives out there? Second, Authentic Dad how can you say that Acculynx is the best hands down CRM for roofers? When from what I can tell you created your own (which seems very nice I might add) and dont even use Acculynx? Also just a little heads up for everyone, GeoEstimatior was bought out by Pictometry and is what EstimationPro uses. It is nice to hear that someone is using it and are satisfied with it!!

Thanks,
Doug

[quote=“dott0509”]I am new as well and am in the same situation as Dustin. I have just started to read everyone’s views and wanted to say thank you. I have also done a little research on a few of the companies and am just not for sure what my best option is. My questions is whats the pros and cons of Acculynx and EstimationPro? All I have seen is the positives, I know that there has to be some negatives out there? Second, Authentic Dad how can you say that Acculynx is the best hands down CRM for roofers? When from what I can tell you created your own (which seems very nice I might add) and dont even use Acculynx? Also just a little heads up for everyone, GeoEstimatior was bought out by Pictometry and is what EstimationPro uses. It is nice to hear that someone is using it and are satisfied with it!!

Thanks,
Doug[/quote]

Where did I say Acculynx is the best hands down? BTW, Pictometry purchased GeoEstimator, not the other way around.

I tried out EstimationPro when it first came out. It wasn’t much more than a glorified spread sheet IMHO. Allowed minimal customization. I’ve never taken a close look at Acculynx so I can’t really comment. The brief look I did take appeared to make it superior to EstimationPro but that opinion in based upon minimal data.

I think your choices would be based upon your size, the type of business you’re in (cash bid versus insurance) and what kind of staff you have (along with their capabilities). If you’re a smaller shop, you will likely want something off the shelf. If that’s the case, I’d think you’d invest some time evaluating what you feel are a couple of the top candidates. It is a very important aspect of your business, or at least should be, so it warrants investing some time to figure out what is best for you.

That was my fault Authentic_Dad i miss read your post… I did not realize that you had copied AnythingWeather’s post, like I said I am new. :biggrin: You are correct!! I just reworded it a little bit different, do you know the differences between Pictometry and Xactimate?

Our company is structured around doing insurance bids and are looking at expanding our staff this winter. Does anyone know what the min users are for either program?

Sorry Dustin for stealing your thread, just in the same boat

[quote=“dott0509”]That was my fault Authentic_Dad i miss read your post… I did not realize that you had copied AnythingWeather’s post, like I said I am new. :biggrin: You are correct!! I just reworded it a little bit different, do you know the differences between Pictometry and Xactimate?

Our company is structured around doing insurance bids and are looking at expanding our staff this winter. Does anyone know what the min users are for either program?

Sorry Dustin for stealing your thread, just in the same boat[/quote]

Pictometry is a cloud service that provides aerial imagery from which you can get takeoffs for the roofs you wish to estimate. Xactimate is the estimating program preferred by the majority of the Insurance Companies and also utilized by many contractors who do a lot of insurance work. There are no minimum number of users. You have several options for how you purchase from Pictometry, either based on usage or an unlimited usage license. With Xactimate, you purchase a license per user.

I did a demo for Acculynx, roofer pro , roofing estimate pro, and Estimation Pro / Job Tracker. Over the past month.
I chose Estimation Pro / Job tracker. Does everything we
need and then some.

Onarooftop

Thanks Authentic_Dad I like the fact that you dont have to purchase everything up front with Pictometry. Do you know the price difference of the two, If not I can just look them up? Onarooftop I see that you have tried quite a few different programs. I would like to know some of the pros and cons of some of these programs, and what made ePro stand out from the rest of them? If anyone else has anything to say that would be very helpful!!!

Thanks,
Doug

Doug,
Your best bet would be to set up a demo or webinar with
whatever companies interest you. Without doing so I
may have picked the wrong one for our company.

Onarooftop

I have a few set up this week, so we will see!! Thanks for all the help

Hi guys,

I was reading all of the comments and decided to add my own.

It is true. GeoEstimator was bought out by Pictometry. Pictometry is the company responsible for all of the google earth images. EstimationPRO works seamlessly with GeoEstimator which is pretty cool, especially now that it is Pictometry.

Xactimate is not a bid platform. It is a pricing structure. Yes, it is the program most commonly used by most insurance companies, however, you cannot use it to produce roofing contracts.

Authentic Dad, I agree with you in regards to ePRO. In the beginning, ePRO seemed like it was simply an excel bid platform. Minimal customization and nothing extraordinary. However, if you have used it recently then you would argue that it has come along way. I have been using it since April 2011 and would not want to bid jobs any other way. The ease of use is amazing. I could bring in a new salesmen that doesn’t even know the roofing industry and have him bidding jobs in 2 days.

This is the only software I have used. There are other bid platforms out there, however, I know that most of them are web based. Obviously this means it requires an internet connection to generate a bid. The best thing to do is contact ePRO and do a webinar so you can see how it works.

ValleyRunner, good post and thanks for your input. I would debate your point on Xactimate being a bid platform. Admittedly, were I doing multiple cash bids per day, I doubt that I would choose Xactimate as the tool for doing such a thing. However, particularly with some relatively easy-to-do customization, Xactimate could be utilized as a bid platform and has some very nice tools.

Maybe Xactimate can be customized to be a bid platform. But why waste your time customizing when you can get a program like ePRO or Acculynx that they customize for you for 1/5 the price!!

In my line of work, I am dealing mostly with Insurance Claims. Cash bids are a common thing as well. However, I can build my job scope to reflect exactly what the insurance scope says. Xactimate is way to expensive to supply to all of the salesmen I work with.

You need to do what is best for you. When it comes to insurance claims, we generally work with people from the start and don’t expect our Sales Reps to do the estimate. I believe putting together a complete, detailed, robust estimate in Xactimate is one of the keys to getting paid well on insurance claims. No way I can train all the Sales Reps to do that. I know the traditional way is to find the prospect and quote it on the spot. Our personnel overall simply don’t work with that model. You have to “dance with the girl what brung you” as they say.

Besides that, unless ePro has gained a CAD program, what I remember is calculating the roof with rectangles and triangles. We do way too many roofs that are 14 faces plus, 12:12 pitch for our Sales Reps to be climbing all over the roof safely to get all those hip, ridge, valley and rafter measurements. I personally don’t feel that is what Pictometry was designed for although you could use it that way (to get all those measurements).

Based upon what you stated in your post, I’m guessing your company is much better at the cash bid business than you are at the insurance business, at least in terms of getting the insurance to pay what they should by utilizing your own solid estimates. That is purely speculation on my part and may very well be flawed. I would add though, given how important the estimating part of the whole job is, I don’t see $1,500 for an Xactimate license as all that expensive. We have two licenses and probably did 600 estimates this year, so that’s $5 per estimate when you average it out.