Roofing Demand in Crossville, Tennessee

Hello everyone,

This is sort of a venting/advice thread. I am in escrow on a home in Fairfield Glade, TN (Crossville). The inspection report showed the roof in need of some maintenance. The roof was installed in 2009 but little, if any, maintenance was done to it, so you can see some cleaning and tiles need fixing. There is old staining on the inside ceilings which the owners never sealed with Kilz and painted. The inspector verified no moisture in those areas that had staining. However, he did note mildew growing in the attic gable area as shown in the inspection report So as part of my workload after escrow closes, I was going to have a roofer conduct a more thorough inspection and perform some maintenance and cleaning. However, due to the building demand in that part of TN no roofer wants to touch a small maintenance job. I was told point blank yesterday by a roofing company that they are temporarily no longer providing basic maintenance service but if I wanted to replace the roof they were interested. That kind of sucks as I am in a pickle to ensure I have roof integrity. I will not be living here and the house will be vacant much of the time, so I can’t be there to detect any leaks that could really create much broader damage if I don’t get the roof in shape.

I am really looking for two things in feedback.

1. Can you recommend any other means to get the roof maintenance conducted? There is no handyman I’ve contacted that is wiling to mess with a roof (liability). This would be a 2-3k option that I’d prefer because I don’t think I need a new roof. It’s only 11 years old.

2. If I do get a new roof what do you think I’m looking at in terms of cost (tear down through install plus material/labor, etc.) using a good quality architectural asphalt shingle? I am not sure how to estimate the sq. footage of this roof, but while the home is 3-store (basement, main and upper floor) the roof footprint itself doesn’t seem too gigantic.

And if any of you know a roofer or two in the crossville area who is looking for work (maintenance #1; replacement #2) do tell.

Regards,

Joe

Here are more roof shots

Last image. Only allow me one per post. Just want to give you experts as much visual intel as I could.