Roofing fall protection

What’s the deal do you have to wear harness on all residential
Roofs?

Yes, and hard hats on the ground. Don’t forget the written ‘Site Plan’ the rules call for either.
No biggie, we just have to do everything you see being done on a commercial site now.

I just add a few hundred more to each job, per day.

Hears a new one, a friend roofer of mine told me last we that 2 OSHA reps stopped him on a residential roof, the power to the house has to be turned off by the power co. What the hell?
Has anyone every heard of this???

Its been harnesses on residential roofs since like last Sept. 1st.

[quote=“tinner666”]Yes, and hard hats on the ground. Don’t forget the written ‘Site Plan’ the rules call for either.
No biggie, we just have to do everything you see being done on a commercial site now.

I just add a few hundred more to each job, per day.[/quote]

Tinner, I think your a little low. PM me if you would like to talk further on this subject.

Full compliance will add a minimum of $2,500.00 to every job you do.

Then why isn’t insurance paying accordingly because I still have to nickel and dime them

[quote=“ALLTEXRoofing”]

[quote=“tinner666”]Yes, and hard hats on the ground. Don’t forget the written ‘Site Plan’ the rules call for either.

I just add a few hundred more to each job, per day.[/quote]

Tinner, I think your a little low. PM me if you would like to talk further on this subject.[/quote]

True enough. It should have read ‘a
few hundred per item, per job’.
My contracts list each anchor point as being $250.00 apiece. Some of my jobs require large amounts of scaffolding and that alone can add $3K to $15K a job.
And keep in mind, I work alone 98% of the time, so I’m exempt for the most part.

just come join the circus in Amarillo - no harness needed .

I don’t do insurance work, but if you can submit for fall protection compliance you should be able to submit for Port-A-Potty compliance as well.

I submit for the portapotty and get paid for it

do you have a porta pot at every job

No plastic bathroom on my one day jobs, just bushes to pee
Behind!!!

If you see a roofer hangin’ from a rope around here it’s either a Suicide or a Homicide! :badgrin:

[quote=“West wind”]What’s the deal do you have to wear harness on all residential
Roofs?[/quote]

Anything over 3 meters (10 feet) here in Canada you need to be tied up like a dog.
Hard hat at the top of the ladder for when you descend, and hard boots on the ground to change into. Makes forgetting your chalk line a PITA!

I went to a new landfill in my area the other day and they gave me a fluorescent vest and a hard hat. They said anyone outside of the truck must wear these two items.

When I got back there where they were dumping at there was no one else around except one old guy asleep on a bull dozier with the motor off.

So whats the hard hat for? There was nothing overhead.

Is it to keep a bird from taking a poop on your head? :lol:

LC: They ran over our dump truck about 10 years ago, and then started that rule here! Crushed a 12yd bed but they paid for it! Dump fee’s have went ballistic since then because Republic bought them out, so buying me a new bed didn’t hurt em any. Republic came in and revamped the dump site, which needed done, but cost went from $50-60 a truck to ~$220 a truck.

If they can’t see a big dump truck, then I don’t think a vest and a hard hat is gonna do a human body any good! :lol:

I think they fail to realize that accidents are going to happen irregardless of safety rules.

For me it becomes a matter of how much loss of freedom is worth it!

My personal answer is “Not Much”.

Now, if they could figure out how to program peoples minds to know what the dangers are and to be alert to these dangers at all times, then they would have something worthwhile.

Lucky, the only thing the vest and hat is for is their own insurance and OSHA (or wcb whichever) protection. If they give you that stuff then they are not responsible, YOU are.