Roofing nails through the decking

We recently had our house reroofed and the nails protrude through the plywood decking. They poke through, under the eaves and into the attic about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Is this a problem.

This is normal.
For the nails to hold well they need to penetrate the plywood/OSB.

that is actually required by the manufacture to be warrantied.

Welcome to # 3 on our “top 5 questions asked every month” :smiley:

Marshall & Axiom are 100% correct.

I’m curious about the nails protruding through the plywood on the eves.Most houses that have exposed decking on the eves have strip decking ,usually 1 by 4’s that are 3/4 inch thick.

Nails protruding through exposed plywood decking on the eves sounds strange.

cut off nails with 4" grinder or dikes,
and paint.

gweedo.

[quote=“bushhog109”]Most houses that have exposed decking on the eves have strip decking, usually 1 by 4’s that are 3/4 inch thick.

Nails protruding through exposed plywood decking on the eves sounds strange.[/quote]

It’s possible this house was ordered this way by a prior owner (or even this posting customer… don’t know) @ a time when exposed rafter tips were the norm.

Then again, is / was this house built (or the roofing portion) done @ a time when homes were starting to transition over from plank decking to ply?

How about cedar shake first, then swapped over to ply?

Lots of possibilities.

[quote=“RanchHandRoofing”]

[quote=“bushhog109”]Most houses that have exposed decking on the eves have strip decking, usually 1 by 4’s that are 3/4 inch thick.

Nails protruding through exposed plywood decking on the eves sounds strange.[/quote]

It’s possible this house was ordered this way by a prior owner (or even this posting customer… don’t know) @ a time when exposed rafter tips were the norm.

Then again, is / was this house built (or the roofing portion) done @ a time when homes were starting to transition over from plank decking to ply?

How about cedar shake first, then swapped over to ply?

Lots of possibilities.[/quote]

I was thinking they started boxing in the soffits when they started useing plywood decking.Don’t get me wrong,I have seen a few and they were unsightly,but they were hack jobs where strip decking was taken out and replaced with plywood.

Several years ago my Uncle got yelled at by the home owner for his staples sticking too far through the decking. He wasn’t paid until the ends were cut off. Luckily it wasn’t a big house!!!

The worse I had to do was I forgot to put down screen over a ridge vent opening on a log home for about 20ft. The builder had me set up a ladder in the attic and I had to tack down the screen on both sides of the main attic beam in between the trusses. It wasn’t the job that was bad it was my head hitting all the nails and then my hands trying to tack down the screens. When done I should have shaken the builders hand with my bloody hand and said, “Thanks for the work, it’s all done now”.

It was my fault since I was told to put down the screen along all the ridges. Then he called me on the next log home which was in Iowa. Bid it the same as the first one but he said he found a local that came in half price! See Ya!!!