Roofing Nails?

Hand Nailed vs Gun ?

I can’t seem to get any Data on Nail Gun Nails
other then .120 - Wroopy-Do !

How about Head Size .312 vz .375 that’s 5/16 vs 3/8

Aren’t Std Galv. Roofing Nails - have a Larger Head then Gun Nails ?

Isn’t It the Head that Holds Shingle on and Hand Nails seem to have a Thicker Head , which seems like It wouldn’t Cut into Shingle as Easy as a Thin Head .

Lets Hit It on - Head ? :roll:

Hand nailed. Our nails have 7/16 head, hot dipped galv. Runs about 59 for 50#. Electro-galv just doesnt cut it in Texas.

So Your a Nail Salesmen ?

7/16 - I was able to find some Older Nail that were Galv. Dipped , but those came from My Basement . the Newer ones seem to be MM & Smaller .

Around .364 Dia. or So , but even thou - they aren’t as Sharp as a Thinner Gun Nail - which Seems to have even a Smaller Head on It .

Maybe We should just Use - Wall Broad Nails.
What They Hell ?

Seems the Industry has Figured a New Way to Make Sure The Roof Blows Off , Lets Go Faster and Faster and Bang those Nails Lets - Cup Them , there so Thin - Thin Enough to Cut You .

I Took a Long Look at the Older Hand Nails
seems they have a Smoother and Slightly Rounded
Edge to the Head , could be from a De burring Process & Galv. Drip . Plus a Larger Shank - which Lens to a Better Hold in the Plywood .

It’s Not the Hold - I’m Concerned with BUTT the Pull Thou ?

So , What are the Best Nail Gin Nails ?

21 years…i have never heard that question…i didnt even know there was a difference in size :shock:

Are you a contractor or a homeowner over analyzing his roof application?
The largest head of a coil roofing nail I’ve ever used came from Fastener USA. I didn’t measure them but they were larger than any others I’ve seen.

Thanks

Who’s Ass and Who’s Fault ,is It about the Cost of - Asphalt ? or Asphalt that seems to have Disappeared .

Engineer at Roofing Plant !
Resource & Buyer at Shingle Roofing Plant !
Owner of the Shingle Roofing Plant !
Of Course the Investors in the Plant that Never Saw It Coming .

Oh, Yeah - lets see We Need , Natural gas , Diesel,Oil,Gas etc. to Make and Manufacture , and Oh I forgot We need Asphalt .

Speaking of Stones , No Body is Buying Any of That Either

Equal’s - No Demand . :evil:

[quote=“EngTech1”]Who’s Ass and Who’s Fault ,is It about the Cost of - Asphalt ? or Asphalt that seems to have Disappeared .

Engineer at Roofing Plant !
Resource & Buyer at Shingle Roofing Plant !
Owner of the Shingle Roofing Plant !
Of Course the Investors in the Plant that Never Saw It Coming .

Oh, Yeah - lets see We Need , Natural gas , Diesel,Oil,Gas etc. to Make and Manufacture , and Oh I forgot We need Asphalt .

Speaking of Stones , No Body is Buying Any of That Either

Equal’s - No Demand . :evil:[/quote]

what are you talking about? am i missing something :shock:

I’d Like to Buy Nails that are - Only Made From
Recycled Washers and Dryers .( USA Made of Course ).

Recycled Metal for Nails: We could Start Cleaning Up USA , Stop Buying Foreign Nails .

That Should Clean Up the Entire Country Side in
PA.

My Natural Gas Cost was 1.32 -it is Now .823450
per CCF - that .50 Less - and When Your 1000’s of CuFt per Week - seems like Cost of Shingles would Go - Down .

I Slipped Off the Topic just a Little , sorry .

???

:shock:

You asked for head size. 7/16 is the head size of the nails we use. You haven’t seen a hot dipped galv roofing nail? You’re kidding…right?

Forgot, you can also buy ring shank, hot dipped roofing nails for around 79 dollars a 50#. They are readily available at Beacon supply.

Hot dipped nails here. I use eg for felt, $30.00 a box. HDD run $59. a box. ( For shingles)
For most roofing I do, 1-1/4" and 1-1/5" nails run me $475. a box. Felt nails, $460. a box.
(50 # boxes, of course.)

I think some one is back off there medication again.

For the record the OP is not a roofer but possibly a retired engineer with a lot of time on his/her hands. Do a search by post and you’ll see what I mean. Some of his/her posts have merit but you will see most posts seem to lack common sense and real world roofing knowleadge.

Not even going to get into why I prefer coil nails over hand nails, sorry.

Typical engineering stuff it’s all about numbers!!!

you can buy really good roofing coil nails.
the cheap ones do have thin heads compared
to hand nails.
havin said that i just tore off a 20 year old arc
shingle roof , nail on with gun nails.
they worked just fine.
harder to get out than hand nails as a matter of fact.

gweedo.