Roofing question guys-----

if a roofer is going over existing shingles ( 1 layer),
does he use furring strips and then felt paper;both or just one? if a roofer tears off all existing shingles,does he use both furring strips and #15 paper? i know it seems like a dumb question. thanks

Are you talking about going over an asphalt roof with a metal roof?
Or an asphalt roof over an existing cedar shingle roof?

I never heard of using furring strips for an asphalt over asphalt installation.

Probably should just tear off the old roof, it is better that way.

not metal. just going over an existing roof;timberline. would we use furring strip and then felt paper or none due to us going over the existing roof?
as for a complete tear off, do we use furring strip and felt paper (both )?

the is never furring strips involved in asphailt roofing.

Firring strips would be used on a metal retrofit installation over asphalt composition or in new roofing applications with various types of actual real tile or simulated tile, but I have never heard of it with asphalt shingles.

Do you think that maybe you are a little over your head if you plan on doing a DIY roof job?

Ed

[quote]not metal. just going over an existing roof;timberline. would we use furring strip and then felt paper or none due to us going over the existing roof?
as for a complete tear off, do we use furring strip and felt paper (both )[/quote]

Don’t try to go over the timberlines, it will look like shit…
Forget about the furring strips, if you have spaced decking (skip sheathing) re-deck it.
Who told you that you need furring strips, cross them off your list…

Here is what to do,
Tear off the existing roof, pull the nails & staples that protrude.
Repair any deck damage.
Make sure that you have a smooth solid deck, if not re-deck.
Apply ice & water shield 2’beyond the interior wall line on the eaves, and in all valleys, around chimneys & skylights.
Apply your underlayment (felt) and drip edge.
Shingle roof and install ridgevents.
Your roofer should know all the omitted steps.
Pretty simple actually.

thanks axiom. i always thiught the drip edge goes on before the ice shield.

Well, The t-drip on the eave edge should be put on first (with the Ice & water shield over it).
On the rakes the t-drip should go on top of the felt (the t-drip over or under the Ice & water shield doesn’t really mater in my opinion)
Where there is felt at the rakes there should be t-drip over it.

People often overlook this little detail.

If the t-drip is put on AFTER the Ice & water shield ,on the eaves you should “strip” it in with a 6" wide strip of Ice & water shield. (or better)

Hi,

If you are going over existing shingles with shingles. You do not use felt of firring.

axiom, the drip edge goes on first where there are gutters (the eves). on the rakes,the drip edge goes over the felt? question though,if felt is down already on the rakes,would’nt it be over the eves as well or the felt goes down on the rakes first and eves after the drip edge?
also,if going over existing shingles, drip edge or ice shield is a moot point and is’nt applied as it was on under existing shingles?

Wow, you’ve just confusalated the heck out of me on that one.

I’ll sort through it in a moment - first, though, I want to know where you got the idea that firring strips are used on a shingle installation.

??

Now, rearranged with line breaks…

[quote]the drip edge goes on first where there are gutters (the eaves). YES

On the rakes, drip edge goes over the felt? YES

If felt is down already on the rakes, wouldn’t it be over the eaves as well or the felt goes down on the rakes first and eaves after the drip edge? NO (a)

If going over existing shingles, drip edge or ice shield is a moot point and isn’t applied as it was on the existing shingles?YES & NO(b)[/quote]

(a) Eaves are the low side, rakes are the “going up the slope” sides.

—When felt is installed, we almost never secure it within 2" of the outside perimeter.
—If it’s tacked that close on the eaves, the tin tabs can be easily popped, drip installed & then felt resecured. If it’s not secured within 2" of the outside edge, then the felt is just lifted up & drip slid into place & nailed.

(b) Yes, it’s moot.

Drip: No. If you’re doing a layover (which I agree is a crap thing to do, especially if you’re selling the house somewhat soon) & there already is drip edge, then it will look funny to have a 2nd line of drip edge. However if that 1st layer is exposed on the perimeter of the roof line, a lot of people want to hide it with drip edge. There is no practical application for drip edge on a layover if there is already drip edge in place.

i used to be able to give advise here until,
Axium came along.

gweedo.

[quote]i used to be able to give advise here until,
Axium came along. [/quote]

Don’t stop posting on my account, I like some of your posts the best Gweedo. :wink: