Roofing

My roof has only one layer at this time, can I nail over the existing or is it better to tear the roofing off?

You “can” in most cases but you won’t get many people recommending it around here. If the roof is in bad shape (shingles curling, rotten spots, ect) don’t even think about it.

Hello. And Bye.

You can jump out of an airplane without a parachute if you so decide but I would like to highly discourage it.

1. You will only save a small amount of money at the time of the install.

2. You will not get a warranty from the manufacturer.

3. The roof will not last the full length of the material warranty.

4. The wood deck of the roof will not get to be inspected and repaired accordingly.

5. A new roof will only look and perform as good as what its installed onto.

6. There are multiple problems such as shingle blow offs, nail pops and leaks that occur on an older multi-layer roof that do not occur on a properly installed single layer roof.

7. The required maintenance on the back end will over ride the small amount you saved on the front end causing it to actually cost more to nail over the roof rather than tear the existing one off.

1. The added weight has the potential to cause more house settling and you could end up with some problems due to this. Cracked sheet rock, etc.

Good Points Chuck
I would like to add one more
Without Wind and Ice Sheild theres a good chance of Ice Damming. Re roofs have more of a chance to get Ice Dams.

Older shingles tend to cup as they dry out and age. The new layer of roofing will not hold.And its waste of money.
The following are things that may indicate that your roof needs replacing:

Missing, cracked or curling shingles
Blistering or peeling paint
Shingle, sheathing or siding decay
Leakage in the attic after heavy rains
Stains on interior walls or ceilings
High energy bills ting tar paper.

Nail Overs have no manufactures warranty and the roof will not last. The heat between the bottom layer cooks it from the inside. A three tab nail over will not last more than ten to fifteen years.

[quote=“Art O”]Good Points Chuck
I would like to add one more
Without Wind and Ice Sheild theres a good chance of Ice Damming. Re roofs have more of a chance to get Ice Dams.[/quote]

Ice & water shield has absolutely nothing to do with ice damming.
It doesn’t create it nor does it prevent it.

Ice & water shield is a bandaid to help protect against ice damming caused by improper/inadequate insulation and ventilation.

Axiom "Ice & water shield has absolutely nothing to do with ice damming.
It doesn’t create it nor does it prevent it.

Ice & water shield is a bandaid to help protect against ice damming caused by improper/inadequate insulation and ventilation."

I agree, some people seem to think ice and water shield is magic.