Rooftop deliveries

I guess I never realized how good I had it only doing new construction. Now going into reroofs I had a few questions about them. Is it normal to get rooftop deliveries made before the tear off begins, will it just be more of a pain to move them around? Renting a lull in my area is speedy so I just thought I would ask if this is normal or not…guess I could ask United also but there not open today. Also thoughts if neoprene is cement is worth the money?

No one I know delivers then tears off. That would create two major issues:

1. too much weight on the roof
  2. you would have to move materials around to tear off under them.

The only materials we get roof loaded are comp and concrete / clay.

I’ve done it every way you could imagine. Carried my own up, paid others to do it, threw them up out of the back of the truck, used ladder elevators, fork lifts, lulls, boom trucks, conveyor trucks, you name it. Even worked in Florida for a while where the supply houses would send out two guys in a truck to load the roofs before we got there.

I don’t do a lot of tear offs anymore but on the one’s that are 5/12 and under, I always order a roof top delivery. I lay one bundle flat horizontally and then lay a second bundle level by placing about 1/3 of it on the first bundle and 2/3 on the roof. Then I stack maybe 2-3 more straight up, making 4-5 bundles in a stack. I will only put them on half the roof about 2-3 feet down from the ridge. This leaves enough room to tear off the ridge. I then tear off the half of the roof with no shingles on it and roof it back. The other half of the shingles do have to be moved but with them only a couple feet down from the ridge and one guy on each end of the bundles, it doesn’t take very long to do and it’s not that difficult.

Another way to do it if your starting the job the day of and just before the roof top delivery is scheduled to arrive is to go ahead and tear off the ridge where you want to put the shingles and about 4 feet of the surrounding field shingles. Then install the underlayment on each side. Just be sure to nail the crap out of it but leave the very bottom unnailed so you can slide the rest of the underlayment underneath later.

Steep roofs are a whole different animal and I would rather just get the material up there on an as needed basis.

We don’t see roof top deliveries much for reroofs out of our Indiana and Alabama offices. However, it is not only common but pretty much standard operating procedure in our Charleston, SC office. I hate it as it poses more liability issues.

I myself work alone, so I don’t have a grunt to move bundles all day. Therefor I tear off the ridge where I would put the shingles first, then proceed to tear off my work for the day. I make single stacks on re-roofs like Lucky does, but I’ll go 8 bundles per stack. I usually get my roof-top load around 10:00 - 11:00 when I have finished tearing about 8-10 sq.
With having to wear a leash, I don’t plan on even TRYING to navigate materials, roof protrusions or anything else the rope WILL get caught on.
Efficiency is how you make money in roofing by the square, the less time you have to deal the rope, garbage and anything else, the more money you can make.

In Florida, its common practice for the supplier to roof top load ALL deliveries/materials, except for a few situations where their conveyor trucks can’t reach. Half the contractors in town load them in advance before starting and the other half, like me, coordinate the delivery after the guys have a chance to tear of the ridges so they can be stacked on new underlayment.

Oh I used to love that truck, while other crews were still using ladder hoists, that is. Now nothing beats a Hiab truck, drop a 9sq pallet in 2 minutes lol.