Rubber roof coatings

Have any of you used these product? I have a 100 sq roof I was thinking of using this on only the edges and boxes and pipes are cracked . The rubber itself seems to be fine any opinions?

Joshua

EPDM? Butyl?

What type of coating are you looking at and what are ye tryin to accomplish?

EPDM can be coated with numerous different types of materials. So can modified, and I only being up modified since since guys use the term “rubber” when they are talking about modified.

Each would require a cleaning to first remove any dirt and residue before the coating is installed. EPDM often will first require a primer.

There are numerous choices for coating material to be applied. Urethanes, Acrylics, and of coarse Aaron is going to mention Polyurea :slight_smile: Polyurea is more specialized than the urethane or acrylic which is poured or sprayed.

If you want a coating product. check into Poly Their is a primer that is use before appling the poly But I have not had any problems with this product. The Clients love it also. I did not believe in coatings until I used this Product. It paints on rolls on and or sprays on. We have applied it over metal roofs EPDM, Modified, Tpo and PVC Systems.

The name of the company/product/coating is Poly? Or is this a short/slang for poly-something or other?

Truco makes some good elastomer coatings that I’ve used to preserve soldered terne.

A good bid for cover tape and edge caulk can do a large roof like that wonders…

Do this a couple times to track those pesky leaks down

Aluminum Polyurea Hybrid Roofing Elastomer System

I wouldn’t use any kind of coating material on a rubber roof. the only way to properly repair any of the problems you mentioned is to remove the the old material and replace it with new material. Only hacks use cheap coatings on a rubber roof, IF YOUR GOING TO A JOB DO IT RIGHT IT. It takes minimal effort to remove old flashing on an EPDM system.

agreed

LOL yeah cause that BLACK epdm is sooo enviromentally friendly and doesn’t transmit any heat into the building in the summer months, sarcastically of coarse.

Any coating system on any existing roof first requires prep work which on an EPDM roof may include replacing/repairing flashings before coating. Anyone that first coats a roof without properly preparing it is a hack, just because you coat a roof does not make you a hack.

I do mostly shingle work and res. rubber work. What does the coating do exactly? You sorta mentioned insulation? Or is it for leak prevention?

Well If a coating is going to give you a 10 to 20 year warranty and the company installing it is the largest roofing company in the Nation and backing the warranty up with their own10 to 20 year warranty allowing for a labor and material 10 to 20 year warranty. Fine call them hacks. BUT can you beat That warranty? How can you go wrong? Now if the client wants a new roof system weather it’s epdm, tpo, pvc or what ever! this can also come with the same warranty just more money to install. But The LARGEST roofing company in The Nation would not be called HACKS!

Who called the largest roofing company in the nation hacks? Read again. I said that if you coat a roof without proper prep, you are a hack. And I also said that just because someone coats a roof doesn’t make them a hack.

True some manufacturers will rewarrant an EPDM roof if you redo the seams and deatails; most coating manufacturers will warrant the same. The advantage in this case is the coating manufacturer doesn’t care who’s membrane is on there it could be Carlisle or Firestone or anything else. Where as, obviously, Carlisle won’t warrant a Firestone roof and visa versa. PLus the other advantage is Carlislse and firestone won’t warrant the roof unless you are certified by them. So if i were certifed by Carlisle and not by firestone, I wouldn’t be able to warrant a firestone roof. However if I were certified by a coating manufacturer I could warrant either.

There is no insulation in a coating unless insulation is first installed. However there is reflectivity. Somewhat the same in theory, but totally different in reality. The reflectivity will bounce the UV away from the roof. Black holds heat, white reflects heat. That heat can transfer into the building which increases energy consumption for running AC equipment, plus also increases wear and tear on that AC equipment. Firthermore the massive black roofs also contribute to urbanheat island effect which essentially means most urban areas are much warmer than rural areas. Black roofs and black roads are major contributors to urban heat island.

There are lots of reasons to coat a roof.

Hello All,

I thought metal roofing is best, reliable and affordable than rubber roofing.

Thanks!

Well Grumpy, I am sure your right that some coating company’s will warranty their product, but like you said it requires prep work… so like I said before if you want to do the job right then you remove the old flashing material and replace it with new flashing material, or just replace the whole roof all together. coating a rubber roof is a hack move regardless of the warranty. 100sq. is a couple of days work to replace at most and it will be covered by a longer and more reliable warranty then any coating, and if you just want to repair it, then re-flashing the penetrations and stripping in the seams is the CORRECT way to go about it. Coatings may work for a while but so does a tarp and i wouldn’t sell that as a repair option. If you don’t know how to do a job correctly then leave it to the pros. And as for the largest roofing company in the business using coatings, Just because your the biggest doesn’t mean your the best. Wal-mart is the biggest national retailer and i would hardly call their products the best. Cheap prices and low paid unskilled labor probably help the so-called “largest company” get where they are today and guys like me are glad because we get called in to fix all the shitty work that morons like that are responsible for.

Oh yeah.and by the way Grumpy heat rises, so it doesn’t really pose much of a problem when your roof is black.If you ever rip a rubber roof off in the summer try feeling the deck and tell me how hot it is in comparison to the membrane, you’ll be shocked to find that it is much cooler than the even the air temp. As far as urban heat islands… I am sure most of us don’t care, but if your so worried about the enviorment then maybe you should check the kind of chemical emissions that your coatings give off. I doubt any of them are very eco-friendly, and I noticed that you use tpo/pvc, which give off some of the worst bi-product fumes in any construction material when welding. I wont even get started on the adhesives involved in the application of those products or the fact the each manufacturing site for the membranes has its own little hole in the ozone layer. Roofing is no business for tree-hugging buddy.

NEVER EVER ! coat an EPDM roof. It only makes my job harder to do when I go to fix it the right way. What you have is cracked old uncured flashings. It is a common thing on these roofs at about 20 years old or so. you just strip in new rubber flashing tape right over the old “after you clean and prime of course” advocating Painting crap on is a poor excuse for a roofer. at least with EPDM.

Rubba-Roof Professionalâ„¢ is the absolute ultimate in cold, liquid applied rubber roof waterproofing systems. Rubba-Roof Professional is a low modulus, high solids, extreme performance liquid applied rubber waterproof roof membrane coating for flat, pitched and undulating roofs.

Maybe you havn’t read your second last issue of Roofing Contractor?

Is your world big or small?

And welcome to the site.

When determining your overall square footage be sure to measure the true area. Let’s for example, assume that you have a metal corrugated roof. You need to look at the square footage of the raised areas of the roof and add that to your total square footage. If this is your first time applying Liquid Rubber EPDM, we suggest you chalk your roof off into either 42 sq. ft. or 210 sq. ft. sections. When you are done filling in the area you should be done with either that gallon or five gallon pail. This is how you know you are applying it at the recommended spread rate to attain the ideal thickness of 20 mil.