Saint Vincent...The Patron Saint of Roofers

For the Catholics here and anybody who might be interested, we have our own Patron Saint.

His name is Saint Vincent of Saragossa, Spain.

He was a martyr.

He was fearless and had an unusually high threshold of pain and chose the harder more difficult path when tested.

His body was stretched, subjegated to high extremes of heat, his skin was cut and burned and he was placed in uncomfortable painful positions.

Sounds like a Roofer, doesnt’ he?

Saint Vincent…The Patron Saint of Roofers.

Sounds like a roofer except you didn’t mention if he did any time in prison.LOL

Hi,

Saints were no strangers to prison’s.

Did he drink alot?

Did he?

Wow…that’s an understatement.

He was imprisoned and tortured.

He, however, didn’t give up his faith.

:smiley:

did he have any roofing tattos ?

**He was imprisoned and tortured.

He, however, didn’t give up his faith. **

Well, it’s all he had. I’d be more impressed with the
pious rich man that had everything.

:slight_smile:

I would imagine scars.

Do they count?

[quote=“Tar Monkey”]**He was imprisoned and tortured.

He, however, didn’t give up his faith. **

Well, it’s all he had. I’d be more impressed with the
pious rich man that had everything.[/quote]

Actually, he came from a wealthy family and abandoned his wealth to serve God exclusively by serving his fellow man.

Impressed yet?

**Actually, he came from a wealthy family and abandoned his wealth to serve God exclusively by serving his fellow man.

Impressed yet?**

No. It’s nice he kept his faith but I think much better while holding a Pina Colada, I would have kept the wealth too. There are many things worth more than money but walking away from a pile of it is just stupid.

Faith is a funny thing.
Either you have it or you don’t.

Common sense and faith are often in conflict with each other.

patron saints were an inovative way for the roman catholic church to convert the pagan romans who had Gods “patron saints if you will” for anything and everything. Thats also why they love all those statues. Hey whatever works

Actually, there were no Patron Saints when Rome converted to Christianity.

And God seemed to loved statues too…he ordered that idols be placed on The Ark of The Covenant, in His Temple and that an idol of a snake be used to heal people.

So yeah…whatever works.

:smiley:

What does Commandment #2 have to say about this?

[quote=“fettycan”]

:D[/quote]

I don’t have any tatoos, but if I did, I’d get a hatchet and a gun.

[quote=“-Axiom-”]

What does Commandment #2 have to say about this?[/quote]

Excellent question.

First, that it was God who commanded that these idols be created in his place of worship automatically supercedes anybody’s personal interpretation of #2.

But, most people don’t take #2 literally…they take it figuratively using it to apply to whatever they want to instead of just accepting God’s Word “as” written.

Let’s take a look at #2:

Exodus 20:
Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth.
Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me;
And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

Now, verse 4 states that one shouldn’t make a carved image, yet God Himself commands the creation of graven images, correct? So, is God contradicting Himself? No…God never said make no graven images period…He said make no graven images of any thing that is in heaven above (which is imossible because we don’t know what heaven looks like), or that is in the earth beneath, (which is impossible because we don’t know what is “in” the earth beneath the earth often called the “netherworld”) or that is in the water under the earth (which again is impossible because man has never encountered any underearth oceans).

So, right there we see that when Christians use Jesus fish idols, they are not violating God’s Law. Why? Because fish are in the waters “on top” of the earth. If they were to make an idol of a creature from waters “under” the earth, then that would be wrong.

As for the snake idols that God used to heal people with, snakes are creatures from “on” the earth (not underneath it).

As for the idols of angels that God commanded to be created, when man saw them, they weren’t present in heaven…these angels made themselves present to man that’s how they don’t violate God’s Law.

Therefore, there are only certain idols that are “not” permitted and God has clarified which could not be created and He never disallowed those not mentioned in the 2nd Commandment.

If one just follows the Bible as written and doesn’t add unto it, they will be guided by The Scriptures.

Is there any where that God tells you to worship these objects??? No, as for the snake that was to be looked upon as show of obedience after a punishment for disobedience. The angels on the ark where also in obedience to instructions, not to be worshipped. These after while where not even to be looked at and never touched. We are a faithless people. We like to see to believe and God knows this but so does the Devil and the Devil is the prince of confusion. We need to be careful that the Devil does not try to twist things to his favor. God wants our complete worship, for as you said He is a Jealous God, never to be shared with inanimate objects.

[quote]Re-Mark-Able
Is there any where that God tells you to worship these objects??? [/quote]

Who was talking about worshipping them?

What The Bible says is that they are used as Sacramentals as commanded by God Himself.

What The Scriptures refers to are very specific places from where idols cannot be created. After that, there is no restricition on the uses of idols. God does it in His own Temple with idols of Angels.

I don’t remember the Bible saying this.

Can you refer to a Scripture that states this?

From my recollection, whoever was to look upon this idol was saved from death and would be allowed to live.

But let’s let The Word of God speak for itself:

Number 21:8
And the LORD said unto Moses, "
Make thee a fiery serpent,
and set it upon a pole:
and it shall come to pass,
that every one that is bitten,
when he looketh upon it,
shall live."

This could be seen prophetically regarding original sin and Jesus’ coming as Saviour:

Satan=The Serpent in The Garden of Eden who introduced man to sin.
Our sin, the result of a “bite” our mother Eve took of the forbidden fruit of the tree of knowledge at the suggestion of The Serpent.

Also, this is a precursor to an image of Christ in the New Testament:

John 3:14-15
“As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up;
so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life.”

There’s actually a saying…

The greatest trick the devil ever played on the world was convincing it that he did not exist."

OK, but what about praying to saints ? sorry had to ask.