Self Adhesive Modified bitumen

I’ve only done a few flat roofs and when i do them they’re mainly in residential areas.I’ve used the torch method and would like to start using self adhesive bitumen(mule hide)being that you don’t have to mess with fire!I’m no pyromaniac!lol!
I know it can be stuck right over a new deck,but what about a deck that isn’t new or could you use it over an existing roof?Would you have to use a cap sheet for this?Any help would be greatly appreciated!Thanks

Oh yeah i once used a heavy metal roller on this mule hide to help seal it down.Would anybody know where i can find one?

Honest Abe,
I just finished my first one with mulehide self adhered. i did it over an old roof. Tore off shingles, re-nailed 1x6 and put down recovery board. Fastened with 1 1/2" roofing nails 3" on center at edges and in field. This is a deviation from manufacturers specs-I believe they want you to fasten with mulehide screws and caps. Nailbase on top of that, Cap sheet on top of that. It was pretty simple, and I will never doubt a self adhering product again. don’t stick that stuff in the wrong place cause it’s not coming off.

I’ve done many self adhered mod bit roofs and i love working with it and the look of it.

However, I will never use it on a perfectly flat roof.The roof must be 1/12 or 2/12 pitch or else I will do torch down.
Also I would not use the self adhere if the roof has too many penetrations.

I use the Certainteed Flintlastic and the Mule Hide.
I like Mule Hide better because it’s easier to work with and it seems to stick faster.

[quote=“Honest Abe”]I’ve only done a few flat roofs and when i do them they’re mainly in residential areas.I’ve used the torch method and would like to start using self adhesive bitumen(mule hide)being that you don’t have to mess with fire!I’m no pyromaniac!lol!
I know it can be stuck right over a new deck,but what about a deck that isn’t new or could you use it over an existing roof?Would you have to use a cap sheet for this?Any help would be greatly appreciated!Thanks

Oh yeah i once used a heavy metal roller on this mule hide to help seal it down.Would anybody know where i can find one?[/quote]

For your purposes, may I suggest you look into a peel-and-stick base sheet. Without any particular system in mind, I’m sure you can then find one where you adhere the membrane with cold adhesive. My only caution is this, you will still want to use a torch on your laps as it provides a better bond and it isn’t as messy.

ditto all,

gweedo.

Hey, I just realized no one answered your question. you can rent a 100lb roller at home depot for 20 bucks for 24 hours.

[quote=“Honest Abe”]

Oh yeah i once used a heavy metal roller on this mule hide to help seal it down.Would anybody know where i can find one?[/quote]

Local supply house might have them. They usually carry all kinds of tools.