Shingle and Venting Questions

I have a small commercial property that I am going to replace the roof on in Northern Virginia. Old 3 tab shingles are missing granules and I have missing turbo fans, leaving holes in the roof. A roofer new to me recommends tear off as he suspects bad decking as nails are loose in places and rott can be seen on some edges. He also recommends sealing the turbo fan holes with new decking and adding ridge vents to compensate. To keep costs down, he recommends Tamko Elite Glass Sealed 3 Tab Shingles vs. Tamko Heritage Architectural shingles to save roughly me 35-40% on material costs.

I agree with the tear off recommendation. I am torn on saving in material costs as labor prices rise faster. But still, an additional 5 years of warranty and better wind resistance for 35-40% more seems excessive. Also, not sure about venting even though I picked up a little knowledge by reading the forum.

Thoughts?

Thanks…

A) Sounds like the guy may have an upsell cost for the dimensional shingles. In my area the 25 yr. 3-tab shingle costs around $75 per sq. and the 30 yr. Dimensional $90 per sq. If my math is correct that’s 20% not 35-40%. Also the dimensional shingle is well worth the upgrade. B) The type of ventilation is not important. What is important however, is having adequate and proper ventilation whichever type you choose to install. C) tear off the existing roof and fix that wood for sure

The guy is right about getting rid of the turbines & installing ridge vent. As for 3 tab vs. archs, I charge the same no matter what. With the archs theres less labor & less waste.

Does everyone agree that the architectural shingles are worth 18% more than a 3 tab? According to Tamko’s warranty, they won’t last 18% longer or are real world results different?

Thanks…

[quote=“Neil64”]Does everyone agree that the architectural shingles are worth 18% more than a 3 tab? According to Tamko’s warranty, they won’t last 18% longer or are real world results different?

Thanks…[/quote]

I don’t agree, but I’m not buying material in your region. Laminates (Architectural) are only a buck or two more here than 3-tab where I buy.

[quote=“Neil64”]Does everyone agree that the architectural shingles are worth 18% more than a 3 tab? According to Tamko’s warranty, they won’t last 18% longer or are real world results different?

Thanks…[/quote]

I don’t agree either, it depends on the brand of shingle.
XT25’s & XT30’s (Certainteed 3-tabs) are every bit as good as 30 yr Laminants.

Apparently, Tamko Glass Seal 20year 3 Tabs can be had for $60/sq in my area. Certaineed XT25 $87/sq and Landmarks are $93/sq.

I now realize I posted Tamko Elite Series 25 year in error vs. their Sealed Glass Series 20 year 3 tabs.

The Elite Glass Sealed can be had for $79/sq.

In the real world, how much life difference can be expected between a 20 and 25 year 3 tab?

[quote=“Neil64”]Apparently, Tamko Glass Seal 20year 3 Tabs can be had for $60/sq in my area. Certaineed XT25 $87/sq and Landmarks are $93/sq.

I now realize I posted Tamko Elite Series 25 year in error vs. their Sealed Glass Series 20 year 3 tabs.

The Elite Glass Sealed can be had for $79/sq.

In the real world, how much life difference can be expected between a 20 and 25 year 3 tab?[/quote]

IMO you are way better off buying a better shingle up front, this isn’t a good place to cut costs.

If you want a 20 yr shingle get a Owens Corning Classic, from what I have seen from the ones I have installed these will last 20 yrs as advertised.

He could be increasing cost in % that may include high wind nailing in addition to upgrading to a laminate shingle.

3-tab and laminate shingles are only a couple bucks different here as well.

If you can afford the extra $$$ …I would upgrade to a laminate as it holds up better in higher winds than a typical 3-tab (when using 4 nails per shingle). Definately tear off to repair wood. Vented ridge is a better vent option than “can” vents. But heed the warning from others and make sure you intake is equal to you outtake venting.