Shingles in plastic wrappers

One of the large local wholesalers keeps plastic wrapped shingles out in the weather. Just did a house where the shingles had green algea on them and they stank! Anybody else have this problem? I’m just a installer for a company, was curious about others experience with this issue.

we dont install them…

I used to go to the PRAC meetings.
All I had to say is “I like the paper wrapper, please keep using paper wrappers”.
Now most shingles come in plastic wrappers, so much for the PRAC meetings…

Strangely enough the higher end shingles still come in a paper wrapper…

I don’t like the cheap azz plastic wrappers for several reasons…

A supplier here keeps them outdoors. I never buy from them either.

Back when we did some jobs for a GC, I found a great use for those plastic wrappers. Whenever we roofed before a chimney, dormer, or whatever was to be built later, I put the wrappers between courses of shingles that needed to be ‘free’ later for the tie-in. The shingles wouldn’t stick together and tie-ins really go smoothly. The shingles immediately sealed down properly when the plastic was removed.

What I really miss is the wax paper that was used on I&W. We were also doing fiberglass and epoxy boat building and repairs in my shop and it was ‘free’ release paper on a huge scale. I still ave and use some to this day.

The only bundles I get that already have algae on them are GAF, and when I get algae covered bundles (or bundles with any other damages like fork lift stabs…) they get sent back.
Again, GAF is the only brand up here (that we use) that has paper wrappers.

We use all GAF product here in NJ. All shingles are wrapped in paper. Never had any issues with algea covered shingles out of the bundle. I guess it depends on your supply house; If suppliers turn around is not good and he has shingles sitting for long period of time (in plastic wrappers); Our suppliers turn around their product fast and most of the material is factory fresh.
Who is the manufacturer of these shingles your referring to?

[quote=“tinner666”]A supplier here keeps them outdoors. I never buy from them either.

Back when we did some jobs for a GC, I found a great use for those plastic wrappers. Whenever we roofed before a chimney, dormer, or whatever was to be built later, I put the wrappers between courses of shingles that needed to be ‘free’ later for the tie-in. The shingles wouldn’t stick together and tie-ins really go smoothly. The shingles immediately sealed down properly when the plastic was removed.

What I really miss is the wax paper that was used on I&W. We were also doing fiberglass and epoxy boat building and repairs in my shop and it was ‘free’ release paper on a huge scale. I still ave and use some to this day.[/quote]

I’m doing a 250 sq condo complex right now and they shipped us what looks to be wax paper bundle wrappers. It is GAF and i have never seen this packaging before. since i have been using GAF ( for the last 10 years) i have seen paper then plastic for a few years and then went back to paper and this job is now that wax paper i think you are referring too.

[quote=“Morristown Roofing”]We use all GAF product here in NJ. All shingles are wrapped in paper. Never had any issues with algea covered shingles out of the bundle. I guess it depends on your supply house; If suppliers turn around is not good and he has shingles sitting for long period of time (in plastic wrappers); Our suppliers turn around their product fast and most of the material is factory fresh.
Who is the manufacturer of these shingles your referring to?[/quote]

OC’s