Shingles over wet Ice and Water Shield

Hi everyone,

First I’d like to say that I’m not a roofing professional (if not obvious!), I’m just a guy who likes to work on my house. I very much appreciate your opinion and have learned quite a bit from reading in these forums!

I’m in the middle of re-shingling a roof on my house. Layer of Ice and Water Shield is down over the whole 3/12 roof, I’m about half way finished with the shingles and now it’s raining on an off. Everything is also covered with tarps…just in case.

My question: is it ok to install shingles over a wet/damp Ice & Water Shield? I’d like to go up and peel back some of the tarp in between rain and get some more shingles on, but I’m sure the underlayment will be wet.

Thanks for your help!

-PK

[quote=“Preserved”]Hi everyone,

First I’d like to say that I’m not a roofing professional (if not obvious!), I’m just a guy who likes to work on my house. I very much appreciate your opinion and have learned quite a bit from reading in these forums!

I’m in the middle of re-shingling a roof on my house. Layer of Ice and Water Shield is down over the whole 3/12 roof, I’m about half way finished with the shingles and now it’s raining on an off. Everything is also covered with tarps…just in case.

My question: is it ok to install shingles over a wet/damp Ice & Water Shield? I’d like to go up and peel back some of the tarp in between rain and get some more shingles on, but I’m sure the underlayment will be wet.

Thanks for your help!

-PK[/quote]

It isn’t the perfect conditions but you can shingle over dew covered ice & water shield.

If it is a film surfaced I&W like Grace be careful because it can get slippery.

Yes you can…

Were your roof to be in western washington …where the temp is mild buts lots of rain. I would shingle your roof in the rain. Some here may disagree.

Here is my take…your ice & water shield acts as a vapor barrior just the same as felt. The water will evaporate and will soon be dry in between the layers. The combination of warm heat from the house and mostly by sun beating down on the roof will have this effect.

Now…if you accidently shingle an area wrong where water enters between the layers…then this water will continue to penetrate and will not evaporate…thus causing early deteroration of the vapor barrior and shingles