Shingling a Closed Cut Valley Question

I am shingling a closed cut valley. I have 2 questions. First I think I did something wrong, because I can not figure out how to cut the last shingle in the valley. See the attached photo. I am cutting the shingle about 2" back from the center of the valley. But if I cut the last shingle 2" from the center there is only a starter shingle below where it would be cut. So you would see a triangle starter shingle there. How does one properly cut the last shingle??

Also you might notice my cut line is not exactly straight. I used a chalk line and hook blade to make the cuts. I am cutting as I go about 5 shingles at a time, because it is hot and I did not want the tar to stick to the roof if I waited until I got to the top. Any suggestions on how to get a straighter cut.

Methods vary from roofer to roofer, and it doesn’t necessarily mean one is more right than the other.

When doing a closed cut valley I weave the first course, running the cut side shingle through first.

I was shown how to weave the bottom of valley and it always seemed the proper way but ive never been sure why.

Axiom, are there other reasons to weave a course or two at the bottom?

[quote=“jaredinnwarkansas”]I was shown how to weave the bottom of valley and it always seemed the proper way but ive never been sure why.

Axiom, are there other reasons to weave a course or two at the bottom?[/quote]

That is just the way I have done it for over 25 yrs.
It works well and looks good.

I want to make sure I am doing this right. Every closed cut valley I have seen including the one on this roof was cut all the way down, so I want to make sure I understood you correctly. I picked up the shingles and ran that last shingle under the other shingles creating a woven valley for the 1st course that does not get cut. I then renailed. Attached is the new photo. Is this correct??

That is laced cut valley.The first shingle being the lace.Yeah it looks right.Did you snap a line so your cut is straight ??Hopefully you laced both the shingle and the starter under the shingle and starter too ?? I see a bit of a hump.

I did lace the starter, but not by a whole lot maybe 6". I also used a chalk line, but it did not come out great. I think the real problem is me following the line freehand with a hook blade. I think I will cut each shingle as I lay them using a straight edge (aligned to the chalk line) from now on.

Only the bottom 6" of your cut need to be straight. Start your cuts by making a vertical cut where one shingle goes under the other.

Just like these. Failure to do so will cause the valley to leak.
[attachment=1]Clipped Valley Shingles.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=0]Clipped Valley Shingles (2).JPG[/attachment]

I made a 45 degree cut at the top of the shingle for water would not catch the edge and run over, it that is what you are referring to. I only made that cut about 1-2" over.

A 45 degree cut can leak in heavy rain. Seen that many times on repair work. I just re-cut vertical to repair the valleys.
As long as the cut ends before the exposure starts, as illustrated, it’s nearly impossible to cut too much.
Too little? Well you ‘takes your chances’.