Shingling Piece Work Rate

Is $65 / square rate to apply shingles a decent rate? I am talking about a straightforward job, all materiels already on the site, and the roof already framed, decked and covered with paper, with the shingles available on the peak.

Overall, my project is going well, but slow. My existing hourly helpers do not speak English and are struggling with basic concepts such as rafter tail angles, staggering sheets, grain direction, etc. The best of them is brave, strong, capable of learning, and does pretty work, but his first two squares took him four or five hours, with a helper. Granted, this was his first experience with a roofing nailer, and he did get a little faster, but would I be better off with a skilled crew? Overall, I paid $160 for these two squares, in unskilled labor, and had to teach and monitor most of the job. I can multiply 65 by two, and I don’t reach 160. I have 22 square left in the job.

Why do so many people hate the roofing trade?

Wait a few minutes peterk dude. There will be 12 people on here telling you how to take food off their table and money from their families

I’m trying to buy service, and wonder what the going rate is. I don’t know, that is why I am asking. What are you suggesting would be a better approach? I don’t hate the trade, I love it, enjoy working in it when I can, and am trying to manage what is the largest project I’ve ever managed. I’m trying to spend money here, not take it.

1. Get “real” roofers.
  2. Pay them what their worth.
  3. If you aren’t knowledgeable enough about roofing, then you shouldn’t be learning or practicing on someone’s home or place of business.

If you priced the job too low and can’t afford to hire real roofers, then you’re going to have to take the loss on the job and consider yourself lucky if you break even because the losses you and your customer might incure might be hire.

Now, if “you” know how to shingle, just hire 1 helper and do the entire job yourself.

My 2 pennies.

:slight_smile:

My question: What is the going rate for skilled roofing labor, applying shingles that are on the job? Do you think $65 / square is high, low, or right? What do you pay in your region?

“Region” is the answer.
It all depends where you are and as far as what’s fair, again, what is the cost of living in your area compared to other areas?

In West Virginia, I got $25./sq. Paltry by New York standards, but I made great money (rent was only $775., vehicle inurance $50./mo., etc…). In New York? triple those living expenses then triple what I have to charge a square.

Actually, I’m at $100./square now (labor for shingling only). But that’s just me. The majority of people won’t want to pay that, but those that want a solid roof are willing to pay for it. And they do. Their happy to pay me that much (and that $100./sq is my starting point).

So only a roofer from Virginia could answer your question.

But, if you’re charging $200./sq, then $65. is reasonable to pay out.

See?

It’s all relative.

And we can’t answer what’s fair for your region.

To my good fortune, a “real” roofer, who lives across the street and is trustworthy, bid $50, which I accepted without argument.

There you go!

If he does a really good job, bring him lunch on the last day of the job at least.

:wink:

My men eat well, every day. If it a long day, they get breakfast, dinner, supper, water, gatorade and a shot of whiskey or gin at the end of the day, if they want it.

You’re TOOOOO good!

LOL!

That’s why you’re only getting 2 sq every 5 hours!

LOL!

Crack that whip man!

http://i.pbase.com/o6/43/663243/1/79763618.E5gBbGiU.whip.gif

Seriously, good though that you give them lunch an gatorade.

Well done.

[quote=“peterk”]Is $65 / square rate to apply shingles a decent rate? I am talking about a straightforward job, all materiels already on the site, and the roof already framed, decked and covered with paper, with the shingles available on the peak.

Overall, my project is going well, but slow. My existing hourly helpers do not speak English and are struggling with basic concepts such as rafter tail angles, staggering sheets, grain direction, etc. The best of them is brave, strong, capable of learning, and does pretty work, but his first two squares took him four or five hours, with a helper. Granted, this was his first experience with a roofing nailer, and he did get a little faster, but would I be better off with a skilled crew? Overall, I paid $160 for these two squares, in unskilled labor, and had to teach and monitor most of the job. I can multiply 65 by two, and I don’t reach 160. I have 22 square left in the job.[/quote]

So you have hired guys that don’t speak English and don’t know how to roof.

Shame on you SHAME ON YOU.

I would like to speculate that your helpers are illegal immigrants, that you don’t pay taxes on them, that you don’t carry proper insurance. Of course its only speculation. But if I were a betting man…

The problem with guys like you is that when asked a simple question, such as what is the rate for shingling a square in your region, you reply “shame on you.” This is bad for the trade, leaves customers clueless and disinterested in hiring you. If you are asked a question, try to answer it instead of going on the attack.

This thread is part of an ongoing attack!

If you want an education on how to break the law, go to prison. Please

Since when is asking for an estimate an attack?

From my experience, when someone asks “how much” they are really asking for an education of what should be done and an explanation of the value of good quality services.

[quote=“THE OUTLAW ROOFER”]

[quote=“peterk”]Is $65 / square rate to apply shingles a decent rate? I am talking about a straightforward job, all materiels already on the site, and the roof already framed, decked and covered with paper, with the shingles available on the peak.

Overall, my project is going well, but slow. My existing hourly helpers do not speak English and are struggling with basic concepts such as rafter tail angles, staggering sheets, grain direction, etc. The best of them is brave, strong, capable of learning, and does pretty work, but his first two squares took him four or five hours, with a helper. Granted, this was his first experience with a roofing nailer, and he did get a little faster, but would I be better off with a skilled crew? Overall, I paid $160 for these two squares, in unskilled labor, and had to teach and monitor most of the job. I can multiply 65 by two, and I don’t reach 160. I have 22 square left in the job.[/quote]

So you have hired guys that don’t speak English and don’t know how to roof.

Shame on you SHAME ON YOU.

I would like to speculate that your helpers are illegal immigrants, that you don’t pay taxes on them, that you don’t carry proper insurance. Of course its only speculation. But if I were a betting man…[/quote]

Ya think? :shock:

Ain’t freedom of speech a great thing…How do these folks get hired to do these jobs ?

The very first thing you should do is call the local Immigration office (INS) and ask them if $65 a sq is a good price. Be sure to press 2 for Spanish!!

I guess theres no need for workmenscomp if they get hurt they get free medical,so you save there.Dont need liabilty insurance,anything happens you can just runaway.Not paying any taxes or licensing fees,dont need no stinking book keeper!If you think any legit roofing contractor will respond positively to your question you are very naive or just ignorant.We spend thousands on insurances,licenses,saftey programs,taxes,employee liabiltys you know fica and social security, stuff real business"s have to pay.Wouldnt it be great just to just hire people and get the money and keep it all!

Amen, Robert. As was stated in an earlier thread, these employers are our immigration problem. Anyone who knowingly (is there any other way) hires illegals, the illegals should be deported and the employer jailed. Period. And I don’t mean just dump them across the border, take them all the way to the South American border. Make them work to get back. Maybe we should start a deportation program for the guys who hire them also. Might be more of a deterrent for them.

WOW GUYS,

How did you guys manage to turn this thread from a simple question on labor rate to deporting people who use illegal immigrants?? How bout actually reading through threads and answering the questions legitimately? I know peterk has been asking a lot of questions and doesn’t seem to have a full grasp on roofing but some of you are reacting very poorly. Especially “Outlaw roofer”. I have heard that you are good at what you do and are usually right when you answer roofing questions but everything I’ve seen you post is pretty mean and judgmental. I know Im new on here and surely not the most knowledgeable roofer on here but i know when people are getting attacked for no good reason. And just for the record, I do NOT support hiring and working illegal immigrants.

As far as an answer to your question peterk, Out here in California my father and I charge 100 a square for installation. That includes underlayment, shingles and any vents or flashing installations that may be needed. Now out here for a laborer to do the same thing is 25-35 a square depending on experience. This is lower because they are not the ones paying the insurance bills and bonds and other contractor related expenses. so 65 a square for someone to come in a install shingles and thats it and also not offering a warranty on craftsmanship is a bit high in my book. I don’t recall where you are but I know California is usually higher due to our living costs. I hope this helps!

Marc