Should I insist to have things fixed before final payment?

I just had my roof replaced two weeks ago. But I had/have several problems:

1. The tarp protection went off when they were pushing down the first batch of old shingles leaving dirt on windows and siding. Some were cleaned after I pointed out. But there are still some dark marks on siding.

2. They break a window screen.

3. On the sunny side they originally put 3 feet of ice and water while the contract says 6 feet. I asked when they were working on it and they said it was 6 feet. At night I went to the attic and found it was 3 feet. They redid the 3 feet the next day.

4. They did not check the roof deck condition. The cut for the ridge vent is really ugly because the boards are in bad shape. When they redid the 3 feet I saw a board split into 4 pieces in attic and asked them to replace. That was the only piece they replaced.

5. They put the gutter helmet back on the front but it did not catch any water during rain. So I had to ask them to remove it. They were not happy when they came back to remove the gutter helmet so I gave them a small tip.

6. They did not run magnet before they left for the project. I found they left one tool on yard and another tool next to curb with sharp ends up. The sharp tool could cut my tires if I parked next to the curb (they did not remove the dumpster during the job completion day). Only when they came back to pick up the tools (two days after the roof was put on), they ran the magnet. I picked up over 80 nails (over half under bushes but the rest on the grass) before they ran the magnet.

7. They made two very noticeable dents on gutter.

8. I asked for edge vent from air vent or smart vent from dci and the sales suggested edge vent but after roof was complete I found they put a vented drip edge (the sales says it was a misunderstanding and he has been responding to calls quickly so far). I think the vented drip edge will cause water filtration/blocking in winter but the sales says it will be fine and promise me to repair to my satisfaction if there is a problem this coming winter.

9. I can see light through the vented drip edge from the back eave in attic. This means there is ventilation. The opening in some section is significantly narrow than other section though. But on the front I could not see any lights. At first I thought it was because the gutter helmet covered it but I still could not see lights after the gutter helmet was removed. The sales guy will come to look at it and bring me the invoice.

10. The front deck has two short gutters. After the roof work, I saw the gutter is loose and there is noticeable space between the gutter and the edge. There are even some dropped nails in between the space. One section of the gutters now has wrong slope, leaving water in gutter after rain.

I have not paid 2/3 of the payment yet. I am going to get a GAF golden pledge warranty. Work was done by a subcontractor. The sales has responded my calls quickly so far (but very slow in emails).

The sales will write me some warranty for the vented drip edge since it may not be covered by Golden pledge.

Should I insist to have them fix everything before final pay? Is it reasonable ask them to fix things other than the vented drip edge? Should I leave some payment before the Golden pledge inspection is passed?

[quote=“user123”]I just had my roof replaced two weeks ago. But I had/have several problems:

1. The tarp protection went off when they were pushing down the first batch of old shingles leaving dirt on windows and siding. Some were cleaned after I pointed out. But there are still some dark marks on siding.

2. They break a window screen.

3. On the sunny side they originally put 3 feet of ice and water while the contract says 6 feet. I asked when they were working on it and they said it was 6 feet. At night I went to the attic and found it was 3 feet. They redid the 3 feet the next day.

4. They did not check the roof deck condition. The cut for the ridge vent is really ugly because the boards are in bad shape. When they redid the 3 feet I saw a board split into 4 pieces in attic and asked them to replace. That was the only piece they replaced.

5. They put the gutter helmet back on the front but it did not catch any water during rain. So I had to ask them to remove it. They were not happy when they came back to remove the gutter helmet so I gave them a small tip.

6. They did not run magnet before they left for the project. I found they left one tool on yard and another tool next to curb with sharp ends up. The sharp tool could cut my tires if I parked next to the curb (they did not remove the dumpster during the job completion day). Only when they came back to pick up the tools (two days after the roof was put on), they ran the magnet. I picked up over 80 nails (over half under bushes but the rest on the grass) before they ran the magnet.

7. They made two very noticeable dents on gutter.

8. I asked for edge vent from air vent or smart vent from dci and the sales suggested edge vent but after roof was complete I found they put a vented drip edge (the sales says it was a misunderstanding and he has been responding to calls quickly so far). I think the vented drip edge will cause water filtration/blocking in winter but the sales says it will be fine and promise me to repair to my satisfaction if there is a problem this coming winter.

9. I can see light through the vented drip edge from the back eave in attic. This means there is ventilation. The opening in some section is significantly narrow than other section though. But on the front I could not see any lights. At first I thought it was because the gutter helmet covered it but I still could not see lights after the gutter helmet was removed. The sales guy will come to look at it and bring me the invoice.

10. The front deck has two short gutters. After the roof work, I saw the gutter is loose and there is noticeable space between the gutter and the edge. There are even some dropped nails in between the space. One section of the gutters now has wrong slope, leaving water in gutter after rain.

I have not paid 2/3 of the payment yet. I am going to get a GAF golden pledge warranty. Work was done by a subcontractor. The sales has responded my calls quickly so far (but very slow in emails).

The sales will write me some warranty for the vented drip edge since it may not be covered by Golden pledge.

Should I insist to have them fix everything before final pay? Is it reasonable ask them to fix things other than the vented drip edge? Should I leave some payment before the Golden pledge inspection is passed?[/quote]

If it’s supposed to be a Golden Pledge roof call GAF and get them involved.
The salesman will be shatting bricks I guarantee it. :smiley:

To be completely honest you sound like a PITA customer and the crew sounds like hacks so this should be real interesting.

10 items of questions is indeed a lot of issues after an expensive investment to your home.

Most items you mention seem like a lack of communication from sales/management to installation. The person whom you call the salesmen is usually the project manager as well. This person is generally in charge of insuring what they promised you up front is followed through to completion. They also get paid a commission upon completion/payment (based on profit margin generally). Your salesperson most likely would like to keep you happy, get paid, and move on to the next job with out involvement from the business owner.

If this person is responding to your requests thus far and working to correct… then you are off to a good start for these correctives . Additionally, I sincerely believe your “salesman” should not ask for payment until they feel you are satisfied. Do not feel that since they have finished the installation of the job, you are obliged to write a check. Completion of the job is “delivered as promised” after the client is satisfied. We all [roofing contractors] have issues with jobs major or minor. An issue with a client during/after a job should be a major concern to a contractor. What sets reputable contractors apart from others is doing due diligence when something is not right.

I would not play the card of “if you don’t do this, you will not get paid” unless you really need to. And even before that my suggestion is to go to the owner of the company if the salesman cannot deliver as promised.

My suggestion for now is to ask the salesmen to come by and discuss your issues in person. Point out your reservations to them and allow them the opportunity for correction with some sternness if needed. Again, this sounds like it could be a lack of communication between management and installers and I tend to think they will deliver as promised and correct without the need to pull your ace card.

[quote=“roofer1018”]10 items of questions is indeed a lot of issues after an expensive investment to your home.

Most items you mention seem like a lack of communication from sales/management to installation. The person whom you call the salesmen is usually the project manager as well. This person is generally in charge of insuring what they promised you up front is followed through to completion. They also get paid a commission upon completion/payment (based on profit margin generally). Your salesperson most likely would like to keep you happy, get paid, and move on to the next job with out involvement from the business owner.

If this person is responding to your requests thus far and working to correct… then you are off to a good start for these correctives . Additionally, I sincerely believe your “salesman” should not ask for payment until they feel you are satisfied. Do not feel that since they have finished the installation of the job, you are obliged to write a check. Completion of the job is “delivered as promised” after the client is satisfied. We all [roofing contractors] have issues with jobs major or minor. An issue with a client during/after a job should be a major concern to a contractor. What sets reputable contractors apart from others is doing due diligence when something is not right.

I would not play the card of “if you don’t do this, you will not get paid” unless you really need to. And even before that my suggestion is to go to the owner of the company if the salesman cannot deliver as promised.

My suggestion for now is to ask the salesmen to come by and discuss your issues in person. Point out your reservations to them and allow them the opportunity for correction with some sternness if needed. Again, this sounds like it could be a lack of communication between management and installers and I tend to think they will deliver as promised and correct without the need to pull your ace card.[/quote]

This is a “Golden Pledge” company subbing out their work…
Need I say more?

[quote=“-Axiom-”]

To be completely honest you sound like a PITA customer and the crew sounds like hacks so this should be real interesting.[/quote]

I do not think your being a “PITA customer” that simply. You [customer] should be delivered what was promised plain and simple. Even if everything that was promised to you turned out 100% and you had concerns later… then you should not feel wrong for bringing them up. If you are not happy with a product or service you have every right to ask for correction as the consumer. When my $15 pizza delivery is not right… you better believe I will ask for it to be corrected! It’s called principle. I hired/paid you to do XYZ and that is what I expect. Make “me” paranoid during the install to a $10k+ roof [protecting my entire investment] and see if I wouldn’t be concerned about every single item i can find thereafter lol.

Stay reasonable and give them the opportunity to correct your concerns and go from there.

Thanks. We’ll find a solution.

[quote=“roofer1018”]

[quote=“-Axiom-”]

To be completely honest you sound like a PITA customer and the crew sounds like hacks so this should be real interesting.[/quote]

I do not think your being a “PITA customer” that simply. You [customer] should be delivered what was promised plain and simple. Even if everything that was promised to you turned out 100% and you had concerns later… then you should not feel wrong for bringing them up. If you are not happy with a product or service you have every right to ask for correction as the consumer. When my $15 pizza delivery is not right… you better believe I will ask for it to be corrected! It’s called principle. I hired/paid you to do XYZ and that is what I expect. Make “me” paranoid during the install to a $10k+ roof [protecting my entire investment] and see if I wouldn’t be concerned about every single item i can find thereafter lol.

Stay reasonable and give them the opportunity to correct your concerns and go from there.[/quote]

I’m not the customer, it’s very likely that it’s not a PITA customer but it reads like one.

Golden Pledge is supposed to mean something, this is a great opportunity to point out that it really doesn’t mean squat.

A Golden Pledge company subbing out its work, really?
I wonder what GAF thinks of this?
It kinda undermines the whole meaning of the program.

I am confident that GAF will make sure the homeowner gets what was promised, that’s what the “Golden Pledge” is all about.

I might be wrong on the subcontractor part. The guy does siding, and deck with other companies so I thought it was a subcontractor.

1. Have them wet an old rag with tar remover, rub the marks on your siding with that wet rag and then immediately rub it with a dry rag. This will most likely remove the stains on your siding.

2. Deduct a small amount for a new window screen. $ 25 ??

3. Already corrected

4. Can’t tell for sure what to say without pics but I’m guessing its ok. Just don’t look up when your in the attic. It should still vent.

5. Sounds like you let that slide already since you were willing to tip.

6. Magnet has now been ran. I don’t blame you for being upset but it’s ok now.

7. Deduct for replacing the length of the sections of gutter that were badly damaged unless they agree to replace the damaged gutters themselves.

8 ) Get that in writing about “if theirs a problem this coming winter” BEFORE you pay and I mean in addition to the standard workmanship warranty.

1. I would probably have to come look at it also.

2. The nails can easily be removed and the gutter can easily be re-secured.

Give them the option to fix the gutters themselves. If they don’t do this type of work then hold out $500. Tell them if the gutter work is less you will mail a check for the difference. If it’s more you will mail a BILL for the difference.

In the future when your friends and relatives ask if you know of a good roofing company , say no I don’t and walk away!

Thanks LuckyChucky and Roofer1018.

I checked in the attic again. I can see tiny light from a small section of the front eave. But for most part there is no light. I don’t think I missed any light because the light from back eave is very obvious as long as I stand under the ridge. And on the front I can see light from small cracks in the fascial board but no light other places in the bays.

I’ll post a few pictures for the roof deck.

Here are a few bad spots for the roof deck. Are those ok?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99514960@N02/9387980924/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/99514960@N02/9387984402/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99514960@N02/9385230177/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/99514960@N02/9387982924/in/photostream/

Most likely the wood was fine when they laid the felt paper. The wood is old and somewhat dryrotted so when the shingles were installed some of it broke.

Unfortunately this happens on a dry rotted roof deck and its a PITA but they knew when it broke and should have stopped there and put in a new piece of wood every time that happened.

We did one much worse a while back. We fixed all the bad wood, installed the felt and began roofing it. Every so often the wood would break. Also we had to walk with light thoughts as ALL 4 of us had a foot go in the roof. Some of us more than once.

But we fixed all the damage each and every time it occured.

I went and got 100 feet of wood after removing the roofing. Before it was over I had to go back and get 50 more feet.

They were lazy and just left it there broken.

Thanks LuckyChucky. It is good to know that they knew when it broke. I showed the guy some spots after the roof was done and he said he couldn’t know. I just emailed some pictures to the manager. He will come to look at the vented drip edge and I will show him the roof deck as well.

I think there is a chance that they knew the overall condition of the boards before nailing the shingles. When they cut the ridge vent opening, some pieces of wood broke.

And also thanks to Axiom. I welcome any different thoughts too. I definitely want to be reasonable and don’t want to be picky.

You will be hard pressed to find a company around here to roof over shiplap for that very reason. Those old boards don’t hold up so well when you drive a 11-12g nail through them.
Re-sheet is the only way to go on 40yr old shiplap.

The manager came to look at it. He couldn’t find lights from the front vented drip edge either. So he offered to redo the bottom three courses and put an edge vent on, which was what I wanted originally. I told him I can pay a little extra if he can put on soffit vent instead. He said he can put on soffit vent without taking down the gutter or redo the three courses. I am not very sure about that yet (I am afraid he got the idea from the team installed the roof).

Here is a photo of the front eave. The vented drip edge can be seen.
flickr.com/photos/99514960@N02/9395379468/

Does the vented drip edge looks ok (water will not get to the fascia) as is now?

Can continuous soffit vent be installed properly without taking down the gutter?

For the two holes on the roof deck he said he can fix it if I want. He sounded not very sure if they will be Ok or not.

I pulled back the insulation in a few more bays and found a couple more bad boards.

This is at the southwest rack. I am worried about this because I had shingles blown off from here.

There board is the last one at the eave. The same board is cracked in adjacent bay.

I have to agree with bcdemon. By the time the job i mentioned above was finally done, I ended up wishing i had bid to redeck the whole thing. But that would not have worked out in this case because my client’s budget was already maxed out.

During the original estimate, while I was walking the roof, everything felt solid. There were no signs of a problem at the time.

P.S. I included all wood repair ( which I usually will not do ) on that particular job because this client had to have a solid number and could not pay anymore for wood repair. So even though it was on my dime, ALL of the bad wood was replaced. Nothing left broken.

In my case, wood replacement is priced in the contract. They only replaced one piece because I looked at it in the attic and asked if that board was fine. When I asked, the guy asked me back if I wanted to it to be replaced.

My problem now is how much I should ask them to repair. It’s really a pain. There seems no code or strict standard to say how many cracks are bad. Good roofers like you guys replace boards according to their experience and judgement. The crew did my roof just didn’t care or doesn’t have the knowledge.