Should Sheathing bet wet at all?

Bought a house 18 months ago. Roof is an overlay. Around the edge I have gutter → drip edge → shingle → gutter apron → newer shingle. I’m not sure what’s under my newer shingle is an actual apron or just some type of flashing, but it looks like what I see online expect it stick outward not really downward.

The problem I’m having is water is getting behind the gutters and into the soffit. The culprit as far as I can tell is the new shingles don’t hang over anything. The “apron” sticks out past the shingles so I think I’m getting tons of wicking. I’m not sure, but the original shingles don’t really overhang the original drip edge either. I’m not sure if when whoever did the overlay cut them flush for some sill reason or what, but the original shingle, drip edge, and new shingle are all sort of flush and there is this apron looking thing under the new shingle sticking outward a few inches.

I’m calling some roofers to take a look and give me estimates on what I should do, but in a lot of spots I don’t seem to be having issues. Maybe they aren’t visible yet though. My question is, should the sheathing get wet at all under the shingles or should it be completely dry during rain. When I lift mine it’s freaking soaked. In one corner it’s completely rotted out a 4"x6" section that has collapsed. I know I have issues, but to check other areas, if I do lift should there be any moisture or should it be more or less dry.

Also, will roofers be willing to replace the bottom (outer perimeter) 1-2 feet of sheathing and shingles. I feel like some spots will need the bottom 3-4 rows removed, sheathing cut out, and replaced. I sort of think that will be needed where the water has been bad. Where it hasn’t been bad, I’m hoping they can “fix” the drip/edge shingle overhang somehow. I don’t want to replace the whole roof because it’s it good condition. I doubt it’s more than 10 years old. None of the shingles are showing much granules missing, no peeling nothing. I’d rather not throw the baby out with the bath water.

Any thoughts would be great.

Sounds like the roofers installed the roof first and possibly cut the overhang to spec without any consideration of all the other stuff being installed later. Which resulted in the shingles edge not overhanging the gutter apron at all if I’m understanding what you described. A photo would be helpful.

It may well be the easiest fix is to remove the gutter apron and throw it away. Again, posting some photos would help.

I’ll try to get a photo in day tomorrow but here is night pic. White is some sort of apron/drip edge extension. Brown is old drip edge.

Was somebody trying to roof your house or create a waterslide for the local squirrels? When this house was built, was the decking installed 6" short of the fascia board? What reason is there for installing things that way? Perhaps it is some local thing.

Few more photos. I tried to life the lower “apron” to show under but it’s dark. No shingles seem to hang far enough over anything.

![image|666x500]

I think, and this is speculation, you have water that is running behind that gutter apron. Water drops have kinetic energy. Every notice how a drop will sort of hang of the edge of glass and defy gravity? The force of gravity isn’t greater than the kinetic energy required to cause the surface of the drop of water to burst. So it will sort of cling to the surface. Look at your last photo on the bottom, you can see this to some degree right there. But I think the problem part is above that where the shingles meet the gutter apron. The water is likely clinging to the bottom edge of the shingles and some of it working its way down the backside of that gutter apron.

Again, if that gutter apron wasn’t there when the roofer installed the roof, unless the roofer also installed the gutter apron and other things, it’s not their fault. Looks like there wouldn’t be a problem if the shingles protruded out just another 1/2".