Siding guys nailed through my new roof - common practice?

Hello, and thanks in advance for your expertise.

I’m in the midst of having a home built, and had a question about something that doesn’t seem “right” to me.

After the roof was shingled, the siding people nailed 2x4s, straight through the new shingles to the garage’s shingled roof (steeper, 9/12) to complete siding the side of the house.

I’ve seen roof ladders and ladder attachments that hook over the roof’s peak that seem like a more “correct” way to navigate a finished roof without causing significant damage, or perforating the shingles, etc.

I’m sure they’ll fill the holes once they remove the 2x4s, but it still strikes me as a terrible idea to make holes in a brand new roof. Is nailing through shingles to complete the siding during new construction a ‘standard’ or common practice?

Will the holes & repair have an effect on my shingle warranty?

Thanks again!

They are idiots!

That’s interesting. Normally it’s the gutter helmet guys screwing gutter helmet through the new shingles.

do you see any metal straps attached to 2x4’s?

No metal straps on the 2x4s, just nailed straight through.

For other parts of the (finished) roof, there were some giant “jack posts” installed that allowed them to use movable scaffolding to install siding on the 2nd story. (google tells me these are a “pump jack scaffold” - top end was attached to the finished roof) Those posts had special brackets that seemed to be fastened up under the shingles (though now I want to take a closer look at those spots too).

When asked, the builder said the pierced shingles will be replaced by the siding folks and the paper/water shield underneath will be patched with tar or silicone. From my reading here, and elsewhere online it seems like these relatively new shingles should lend themselves to being pryed up and new shingles inserted to complete the repair. Thoughts?

I’m curious, for new construction, what would a “textbook” install look like?

Picture that happened to show an example 2x4 (ther are 8-10), and the pump jack scaffold brackets.

[album]1337[/album]

Thanks again for your thoughts & comments.

Jackleg siders do that kind of stuff all the time, they usually just put some tar over the holes.

I really doubt that the siders will actually remove & replace the shingles they damage, I suppose some do but none in my area do.

The newer shingles have a much better sealing strip on them, they are very difficult to get apart (without damaging the surrounding shingles) once sealed.

It will get fixed if the siders don’t get paid until it is, otherwise you will get strung along until it is forgotten.
It’s not a good sign that the general contractor seems to think that this is normal and ok.

In this kind of situation I usually get a phone call with an angry customer saying the roof is leaking. I go to take a look and realize the siding guys did something such as this, then I have to have it out with the homeowner who needs to contact his siding company.

I have done as much siding this year as I have roofs.I have professional siding installers and consider them pro’s because of much more than just siding the home.

They pick up after themselves and are reliable.The workmanship is top notch and they provide all the necessary equipment to install the siding safely as well as efficiently.

IMO part of a siders equipment does include 2"x4"'s.A roof jack is manufactured specifically for the 2"x4".The sider lifts a shingle and installs the roof jack on a truss.Sometimes the shingle is walked out or pierced by the high nail holding the roof jack in place.

Then the sider lets me know if damage to the material has occurred allowing me to repair the shingle or he will replace it with a new one.

Pump jack scaffolding post braces are attached everyday without damaging/face nailing them thru the shingle.They too can be fastened under the shingle.

Never (That I know of anyway) has one of my installers ever face nailed anything thru the shingles into the roof deck.It makes no sense to me to damage a roof while installing new siding.And I would seriously consider not hiring or terminating a sider because of repeating the procedure or developing the habit.Why waste money to make money.

I would (If it were me) have the siders pay the roofing contractor to repair your roof.I would at least contact him and see if having the siders repair the roof will affect his workmanship warranty.

I have a clause in my contracts that state if any alterations or repairs are made by anyone other than my Representatives then the warranty for that slope is void.Also I would be skeptical of any other slopes either.How do I know who or how the roof was repaired ?,Alot of crooked or shady people create damage for future financial gain for a guaranteed call back.

I am no conspiracy theorist and I am not trying to side step my warranty on a technicality but I feel that if I am going to stand by my warranty then I feel I should be informed of anything that could make me liable because of someone else’s actions.

I see siding crews do this all the time. Some fill the holes with caulking, most just walk away.

Myself, I would withhold payment until the holes are fixed properly (with new shingles).

Rip out the damaged shingle and put a new one… :idea:

Something very easy for homeowners to do huh :roll:

[quote=“needwiz”] From my reading here, and elsewhere online it seems like these relatively new shingles should lend themselves to being pryed up and new shingles inserted to complete the repair. Thoughts?
[/quote]

Hey bc its called…wait for it…answering a question…bonehead…

[quote=“kage”][kage wrote:

Rip out the damaged shingle and put a new one…

Something very easy for homeowners to do huh
[/quote]
Hey bc its called…wait for it…answering a question…bonehead…[/quote]

If you two ever met face to face and never mentioned this forum.,you guys would be pretty good friends.,

Maybe even work together.,But who would be the better roofer?., :badgrin:

You guys are silly. :smiley: ,

Need2Wiz just wanted some advice about some “FaceNailers”,ROTFLMAO :lol:

The advice (and the comedic relief) is appreciated.

The siders removed the boards and caulked the holes for now. Builder says they’ll be back to replace the pierced shingles soon.

The real lesson here for me is to keep close tabs on the work being done on the house, and don’t be shy about saying “hey, that doesn’t seem right…”.

[quote=“Roofmaster417”]Maybe even work together.,But who would be the better roofer?., :badgrin:
[/quote]

From what I’ve read on here about not working for a guy because he charged to much for a repair, Knowing all the rules and so on and so on…he’d be the last guy I would hire there roofmaster…may not know him from here but his type are easy to pick out…

kage prefers guys that don’t know anything so he can run them around and cheat them. These are the employers I have learned to avoid. Some guys are good to work for and some just aren’t worth the air they breath.

On Topic:
Glad the siding crew will fix your roof, I wish some around here would.

No pun intended I’m sure.

[quote=“bcdemon”]

kage prefers guys that don’t know anything so he can run them around and cheat them. These are the employers I have learned to avoid. Some guys are good to work for and some just aren’t worth the air they breath.
.[/quote]

Nope i just prefer ONE chief not some wannabe thinkin he knows it all and trying to call the shots…hense why your boss probaly works you alone…

[quote=“bcdemon”]

On Topic:
Glad the siding crew will fix your roof, I wish some around here would.[/quote]

I’ve been reading what Kage has been writing for quite a while now, I never once got that impression.