Sistering Rafters

Hi, I am in the process of converting my garage to living space and had a few questions about beefing up the existing roof rafters. I have 2615 rafters; the room is 28 ft wide and 15 feet from the top ridge beam to the floor. I thought about sintering 28’s to the rafters and beefing up the ridge beam by adding a 28 beam laminated together with a another 28 then carrying the load down to the floor on each end and also cross brace underneath the beam to the new 28 rafters. Also, I was going to add more cross bracing 2 ft down from the ridge beam so I can accommodate for my HVAC lines. I intend to sheetrock the ceiling w/½ and was wondering if this plan of mine would be more than enough support to the ceiling? Also, I will use metal strapping were all rafters meet to the top sill plate, which is supported by 8*16 block wall.

Thks,
Ron

Before doing anything “structural” you’re going to want to head down to your local building department and talk to them first.

I was just looking for some ideas or if was on the right track before i headed down to township building insp. Also, I wanted to know just in case I hire a contractor, that way i know that he will do it correctly.

The building dept will be able to advise better than I can. My framing isn’t the best. Sorry. I DO know they usually have plenty of specs to be adhered to so it will probably save you some time to talk to them first; just let them know what you’re trying to accomplish. Plenty of idiots in the Building Dept. but there are always a couple that know their stuff.

The building dept will be able to advise better than I can. My framing isn’t the best. Sorry. I DO know they usually have plenty of specs to be adhered to so it will probably save you some time to talk to them first; just let them know what you’re trying to accomplish. Plenty of idiots in the Building Dept. but there are always a couple that know their stuff.