Skylight condensation

I have a customer with a lot of condensation on the skylight in their kitchen. Presumably it is especially bad here as it is right over their cooktop. Anyone have a similar problem to this or a remedy?

depends if it is inbetween or on the inside oh the skylight. If between the skylights seal is bad. Replace it. If inside well some idiot put it in the wrong place if its over an oven

I may have figured out my problem. For some reason I got the bright idea I was going to bend my flashing over the top edge of the curb. I think inconsistencies in the steps is preventing me from getting a good seal. Sound likely to anyone else?

I will have to cut them.

[quote=“shangle nailer”]I may have figured out my problem. For some reason I got the bright idea I was going to bend my flashing over the top edge of the curb. I think inconsistencies in the steps is preventing me from getting a good seal. Sound likely to anyone else?

I will have to cut them.[/quote]

That could be the problem, but if the skylight is over the stove you will get condensation every time they boil some water.

What brand of skylight is it?
Is it ventilated?

[quote=“shangle nailer”]I may have figured out my problem. For some reason I got the bright idea I was going to bend my flashing over the top edge of the curb. I think inconsistencies in the steps is preventing me from getting a good seal. Sound likely to anyone else?

I will have to cut them.[/quote]

I’ve done that before, though I don’t know if it was over a kitchen or bath…you use foam tape? The foam tape should mitigate against the unevenness I would think.

Its a fixed curb mount velux. Don’t believe its ventilated.
I haven’t seen the foam tape. Is it something you can get at Homo depot?

[quote=“shangle nailer”]Its a fixed curb mount velux. Don’t believe its ventilated.
I haven’t seen the foam tape. Is it something you can get at Homo depot?[/quote]

That’s a good question…I’ve never had to order or buy it…I just walk out in the warehouse and grab a roll out of a box… :?

ya, the newer skylites have a thermo break in them.

What is that?

Frame is probably not insulated. They will sweat unpredictably. You can insulate it from the inside by taking a piece of wood and putting against the frame, or sheetrock. It’ll prevent the sweating. I don’t buy skylights that are not insulated because of this problem. It doesn’t happen on every home, but when it does, it’s a real pain.

i woke up @ 3:15 this morning thinking about this. is the skylite glass double pained? if so, is the condensation between the two pains? or inside the home? if between the seal is broke or theres an exterior crack. if the condensation inside the home try this. get the smallest round soffet vents & a holesaw drillbit, put one in each side, louvers down ofcourse, & that should solve your problems.