Slicing off eaves to make room for RV....?

Hi hi, new to this site, please don’t beat me up, I’m a retired mom with a family of motocrossers who have convinced me and hubby to buy an RV and travel the country to dirt bike everywhere. Why not? Well, now that we have the 13’ tall RV, we want to store it at our house. (It costs $700 a month to store it in a U-Store place, would rather keep it home if at all doable.) We have plenty of side driveway length, trouble is, our eaves reach way over the driveway. They only give us 10’ in height, we need at least 13.5’. My (silly??) suggestion is to slice off the eaves. Hubby smacks his forehead. What do you all think? His concern is it will devalue the $3 million house. My argument is: we just created RV and horse trailer space for future owners (if we move out ever!). We live smack in the center of horse country. So, can I slice them off? What are the pros and cons? Picture shows eaves, which stick out about 2.5’ feet over the driveway (on all sides of the house). It’s just a basic ranch, but completely remodeled prior to our moving in. Our other thought was to excavate 4 feet deep the driveway, but that seems even more extreme. All thoughts welcome!

You are going to want to hire a carpenter for this and you will still want to leave at least 6" of overhang.

Yes you can.

1 Like

Deflate the tires on one side of your RV. :grin:

I had a client hit the corner of his home with his new motorhome. He was in the same situation as you, but his remedy was to lower that section of the driveway. They busted the concrete out and sloped it so the home stayed the same and the motorhome fit nicely.

2 Likes

Reply is to the person who said “leave 6” overhang”—Is that for water drippage issues so water doesn’t get to foundation after a few years? If so, can we run a gutter the whole way and still go flat?

Yes you need some overhang the get the water away from the walls/house.

I personally don’t think this is a good idea. Houses (most) are built with overhangs for a reason. Yes it can be done but I feel like it’s asking for trouble down the road.

2 Likes

Agreed especially when you factor the value of the investment she’d be altering with this peculiar type of modification. She needs to weigh the cost of modification plus the impact this sort of modification has on the underlying value of their home. Removing the eave of the house to accommodate an RV will cost a handsome sum for a competent carpenter to modify not only structurally, but insure it remains somewhat aesthetically pleasing. It is a gambled blemish on the value of the home as this modification will only appeal to a small few who have exactly the same need. If it is later reversed, it will also be quite difficult to match finishes after years of degradation. I can see this turning off more subsequent buyers than it will appeal to. Excavating the driveway, though costly in of itself, can be reversed with some backfill. Managing water issues can be accomplished with a sump system as a good pump can be had for a few hundred dollars in the event it needs to be swapped down the road.

1 Like

Thank you! Those were my husband’s thoughts, too. Glad to hear he’s on the right track. Thanks, all!