Slope Roof to Flat Roof Transition Issue w/ IB Flat Roof

I need some advice. Hopefully this is the right place. My wife and I are the second owners of a home. That had an IB System Flat Roof Membrane (50 ml) put on over 8 years ago. Well over the next eight years everything was fine, and within 5 of those years my wife and I took over ownership of the house. However, within the last year and a half we’ve noticed leaking spots appearing above us on the drywall ceiling. And thought huh? I thought flat roofs were suppose to be leak free. This later lead to a lot more drywall damage. We also have a stack that comes out of the flat roof, that has caused leaking as well.

It turns out that our flat roof, which is the roof over our 4 seasons porch, and is an extension of the original house. Has had major water damage to the roof decking and insulation that sits below the IB roof system. I found this out because the original contractors who installed it came out and cut a hole to see what had happend.

Here’s the dilema, we have no more installation warranties with them. And no material warranties. I called IB System and they felt it was due to improper installation.

So went back up on the roof to shoot this video, which this form won’t let me post up.

And discovered that where the shingled roof slope meets with the flat roof. It has major transition issues. They some how installed the flashing above our first layer of shingles and below the second layer of shingles. So, I’m not sure what to do next? But, it’s my opinion that they installed it improperly and should of put the flashing below both the two layers of shingles. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

The contractor’s who did the original installation blame it on my shingled roof slope. Which keep in mind is bad and in need of ripping off and putting a new layer of shingles on. However, that part of our house has no leaking issues. The only water damage that has occurred is below the IB flat roof system.

So, any advice would be great. Sorry for the long post.
Thanks, Tony

Need pictures Tony.

First look for holes. PVC roofs are are easily damaged by falling limbs or people working on the roof. If you find a hole you can tape it up pretty cheap. If you have a lot of moisture in the system it should to be replaced as the moisture is trapped and can continue to rot the decking and lead to more problems. You can get someone out there with a thermal camera to identify the amount of moisture in the system. At the transition shingles really shouldn’t be touching the PVC as it the asphalt can cause deterioration.

How do you add pictures if you’re new to this forum? I can’t get it to work.

Here’s the paths to the images:
mosaiceye(.)com / bin / roof / roof1(.) jpg
mosaiceye(.)com / bin / roof / roof2(.) jpg
mosaiceye(.)com / bin / roof / roof3(.) jpg
mosaiceye(.)com / bin / roof / roof4(.) jpg

Yes, Interesting query, If you are looking best solution must go here roofing companies Baltimore. This is a home roofing company that offer awesome home roof designs, style, best material and a number of unique design creator. I just construct my house and follow this company, It gives us Flat roof house and its has awesome looks. Thanks.

Imageshack is your friend…

This is in reply to: rscottm

You’ve given me the best answer so far. So at the ridge where the Shingled slope meets with the flat roof, this is the order of materials.

On Slope Shingled roof at the transition point:

1. First layer of shingles
  2. An additional shingle put on at the edge or transition point
  3. A metal flashing that then has the IB Roof system attached.
  4. Then a top layer of shingles that has become completely shot.

My question is, is it improper installation to put the flashing over the first layer of shingles. I have been told by several roofers, that you should never put flashing on top of a layer of shingles. Is that correct or not?

Here’s a video:
[www][dot]YouTube

Any help would be great!
Tony

Tony - where are you located?

Best thing to do there - re-flash the asphalt shingles, or even remove them all together, run IB another 12" up the slope and install new shingles back. Or install IB Traditions all the way to the ridge - it’s a bit more expensive, but will last much longer.

Here is a VERY similar job that we did in Old Lyme, CT:

On that job I know old shingles will be a problem, so I explained this to HO and convinced him to remove old shingles, add synthetic underlayment and put new shingles on. Now even when these shingles go bad down the road, the roof will still not leak.