Some stuff

Wondering what anyone else would have done with this pipe. I have an additional piece of ice shield tight around it, and cement under the boot and shingles. If you saw what I tore off of it you would have been amazed to see that there was no rotten wood at all.

Also, how much more work can I expect tearing off a slate roof, and if anyone has any tips when doing that. Thanks I love you guys

http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/8918/img_1262916432.jpg

Another view
http://www.roofing.com/images/topics/8918/img_1262916448.jpg

i know i know, white 3 tabs

Could you elbow it in the attic to get it away from the valley?

Was it cast iron?

Slave, probably but I’m no plumber. Plus this guy was a little weird I doubt he would let me in his house for anything. Maybe something life threatening, and I mean MAYBE.

Ax, yes. i had to cut it down to get the lead boot to fit it.

You can’t just move a cast iron pipe.
They aren’t too easy to cut off either.

It looks like you did a great job with it Shangle.

[quote="-Axiom-"]You can’t just move a cast iron pipe.

It looks like you did a great job with it Shangle.[/quote]

Reciprocating saw with an abrasive blade and a fernco.

I always pull the piece of plywood around the pipe then you dont have to bother the homeowner. It takes about 20 mins to move that pipe a few feet over and about $20 in material. Worth it not to have to worry about a pipe leaking in the middle of a valley.

[quote=“selfemployedslave”]

[quote="-Axiom-"]You can’t just move a cast iron pipe.

It looks like you did a great job with it Shangle.[/quote]

Reciprocating saw with an abrasive blade and a fernco.[/quote]

The last time I cut a cast iron pipe with a sawsall it took 3 blades to get through a 3" pipe, the blades were $15 a piece.
And it took me a 1/2 hr just to cut the damn pipe.
The other one on the roof I tried using a grinder, it took 2 blades and just as long.

This is not an insignificant task…

[quote="-Axiom-"]

The last time I cut a cast iron pipe with a sawsall it took 3 blades to get through a 3" pipe, the blades were $15 a piece.
The other one on the roof I tried using a grinder, it took 2 blades and just as long.

This is not an insignificant task…[/quote]

Try these http://www.toolingonline.com/article.mvc/Milwaukee-Introduces-New-DIAMOND-GRIT-THE-0001?VNETCOOKIE=NO
Cut a 4" cast in about five minutes, ( wasn’t timing it) one blade

[quote=“selfemployedslave”]

Try these http://www.toolingonline.com/article.mvc/Milwaukee-Introduces-New-DIAMOND-GRIT-THE-0001?VNETCOOKIE=NO
Cut a 4" cast in about five minutes, ( wasn’t timing it) one blade[/quote]

Believe it or not that is exactly what I used.
3 blades and about a 1/2 hr.
Apparently I wasn’t doing it right…

[quote="-Axiom-"]

Cut a 4" cast in about five minutes, ( wasn’t timing it) one blade

Believe it or not that is exactly what I used.
3 blades and about a 1/2 hr.
Apparently I wasn’t doing it right…[/quote]

Did ya have the sawzall in reverse? :stuck_out_tongue:

It was in reverse at least 1/2 the time.

To be honest I never thought of moving that pipe. Next time. And I believe it or not I cut it with a masonry blade cause that was all I had. It took probably 10 minutes and 2 blades. Sparks were flying.

I just step them in with the valley metal and the shingles. Term 1st. pc. of valley 1 foot above, work in the shingles, and collar, put in the 2nd. pc. of valley, and continue the shingles.
Never had to cement one in that I recall.

Looks like you did a good job with that. I take it you have no ice and snow problems there.

Shangle, You don’t want to use a grinder if the new roof is on. All the sparks will cause rust stains. Something I learned the hard way

thats an easy one.
sometimes you have to flash a boot rite in the middle of a valley, where you have to 2 piece the valley metal.

looks good though.

gweedo.

Uhhh… Looks like that makes two of us.

[quote=“RooferR”]

Uhhh… Looks like that makes two of us.[/quote]

Looks like its going to be three. Is there anything I can do now? Hit it with some mild water pressure to the gutter?