State Farm - Drip Edge

I know this has been mentioned a few times about State Farm now not paying for drip edge, flashings and vents that aren’t damaged. Of course this is BS as it is all part of a proper roof replacement.

I am assuming if that is the case then they can also exclude felt paper and nails as well as those items are not damaged as a direct result of a covered loss.

I’ve seen this with others for several months now, Nationwide was the first. What they do need to do however is pay to detach and reset vents. In addition, there’s a reasonable chance pipe jack boots will be damaged when detaching them which then allows you to turn in a supplement along with supporting pictures. Same for flashings and drip edge.

Are you saying it is impossible to replace a roof without removing the drip edge? I’ve sure seen it done so I question that. And with what they pay for drip edge in Xactimate, I could care less. However, if the drip edge is installed in such a manner that it has to be replaced, I would turn in a supplement including a trip charge for traveling to acquire and deliver the drip edge to the job site.

Now the reality is, this is all chicken chit IMHO. Even if they pay the supplements, it takes additional time and effort to take the pictures and prepare the estimates. I am also certain that additional time will have to be spent haggling over these supplemental items. Further, makes one wonder how they justify this behavior after having routinely paying for these items prior to this time. Were they doing it incorrectly before?

What concerns me most is this seems to indicate a change in stance on the part of the insurance companies and could be indicative of a plan to take a stand against restoration companies who specialize in insurance work. I suspect this will get worse and worse until some major class action law suits are filed.

1 Like

I could go on forever on this one. Unfortunately, it is just common sense. Insurers make money by taking premiums, not paying claims.

By hassling the roofers to no end, they will frustrate some, and they will quit. Out of town roofers are abandoning my market daily. They live in a hotel, eat out and make a few hundred per roof. It can’t add up.

By nickle and dimeing claims, they save millions on volume. However, by cutting claims back thousands, they make multi-millions.

By saying they are so swamped and can’t send out the adjuster, they take a ton of claims out of the potential pipeline and pocket the interest.

By saying we only have a year to report the claims after the storm, they save untold claims and maybe billions.

By teaching adjusters to claim that the insurer doesn’t pay for that, they make a ton.

By saying that the damage is not hail, they frustrate roofers, homeowners and save a fortune.

By getting the mortgage companies to further stall payment, they put the icing on the very sweet cake for them.

By making roofers file endless supplements, they take away the roofers’ precious time. That means less claims to pay, too.

Now, the roofers are equally guilty. $500 cash back after covering the deductible is commonplace insurance fraud in this market in the heavy hit areas.

Having every former builder being a “roofer” can’t sit well with the insurers.

Having 50 roofers knocking the same house causes homeowner havoc and further stalls the market.

Homeowners have to rebel. Roofers won’t win this one.

If you don’t think the major insurers are in Obama’s back pocket, you are too naive to be in this business.

Double your volume or die.

Gary, if you don’t end up making it as a roofer, you might consider writing some nice Fiction Drama novels. LOL

Join your State Roofing association, and get active in it. Have them hire a good lobbyist and have the State law say X,Y and Z must be done when a roof is damaged. Our job is to provide a good roof to protect or client’s homes, not save nickels and dimes for the insurance companies.

They spend money in our State to get laws made in their favor, we have to do the same to protect our business and our clients’ homes. In Florida, it is now the law that if over 25% of you roof is damaged in a storm, the entire roof must be replaced.

Would I prefer to be left alone to do a good job at a fair price? Yep! But that is not how things work.

Also call your representative and let them know that insurance companies are not paying to fix their constituents home properly.

JW

Never not been able to get them to cover drip edge.

It is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to remove aluminum drip edge and not bend it a little if it was intially nailed down. I told an adjuster to meet us on the roof and we will try to remove it and not bend it at all. It really can’t be done - or get a licensed contractor with 20 years roofing experience to write an affidavit saying you can do it and it is EXACTLY the same condition as before the roofing install.

Well theyre not paying for drip edge and its bullshit,and whos paying for water damage when they refuse to pay for vents,thier screwing thier customers and they know it.They are not accepting supplements on these items and are fighting hard, i filed a complaint with our states insurance commisioners offices on these items.Im waiting to see if they do anything,but suspect nothing will happen.Its two seventy a foot here for drip and that adds up quick,plus they dont want to pay overhead and profit.Its time for someone to start a class action suit against them on these items or we will see more of this crap from the insurance industry.

The only time drip edge has to be installed on a roof is when an additional layer of decking is installed over the original decking. Of course having a drip with gutters is a no brainer it’s not a code issue. The only time you have to replace the drip on a tear off is when it’s got two layers and the drip is between the layers.

We replace drip on all jobs except a few with non matching siders edge.

Guessing there’s no problem getting the state farm adjusters to pay for replacing drip when it’s got hail damage on it? I see damaged drip all the time. Of course your straight down hail won’t effect the drip.

The X price to detach and rest turtle vents isn’t that far from just replacing them.

I think you mean $2.70 a STICK, not a foot. its a 10 foot stick, so thats 27 cents a foot, not a stick. lol the average roof around here cost less than $100 to replace the drip edge.

and lots of roofers have in the past, and still do put the drip edge down, and the felt over the top of it… single layer re-roofs happen all the time around here and the drip edge is re-used. if we arent paid to r/r it, im not replacing it. i tell them on 2 layers that it has to come off, but unless they pay to put it back on, im not paying for it out of my pocket.

Its $2.72 a foot here on exactaware and here drip edge gets changed on every roof.Were coastal Louisiana and its required to correctly install a roof i always change it and replace the vents.To do otherwise is not in the best interest of my customers,reusing vents and drip edge is wrong!

1 Like

And you miss the point at removing the drip edge and vents and O&P from the claim they are paying so low theres no profit in the job,when were doing siding,gutters,patio covers,screens,roofs etc were entitled to O&P and were subbing out the trades to boot.

If there are multiple trades, I would propose that you prepare a very simple document to have the Homeowner sign. It basically has the Homeowner’s name, address, phone # and claim #. From there it states something to the effect: “I have chosen Company XXXX to be the General Contractor for my claim and make all the repairs. In accordance with my policy, please apply the customary and reasonable overhead & profit of 20% to my claim. Thank you.”

Have them sign and date it, send it in with your estimate as a supplement.

Holy smokes, $2.70 a foot to R&R drip? Here in storm chasers dream land we’re only getting $1.80 a foot R&R.

My drip runs me about $6 a 12ft stick or roughly 50 cents a foot to purchase.

I know what they pay. I’m talking about what it COSTS.

And yes, I understand the reason they don’t want to do it.

In light of recent reports re refusals to pay for items that were paid for in the past and that generally need to be replaced as part of a complete job or leave the insured less than whole and exposed to future problems, I’ve added a page to iccoa.com that tracks these ongoing problems so that we can see who is doing (or not doing) what over time. The site address is iccoa.com/badfaith.htm. All contractors are welcome to post “City and State, insurance company name, adjuster initials and status (staff or independent), and a short description of the problem including reasons given by the insurance adjuster for his/her initial refusal and non-payment” in the “Comments or Questions” section.

Neither your name or your company name will be listed on the actual site. As time goes by, a pattern should be exposed which should help to determine which insurance companies are doing what to their customers.

Suggestions and/or ideas are welcome.

State farm is refusing to pay for drip edge and vents unless they have hail damage on every claim we have in New Orleans and is refusing to budge on these issues,its all about saving a few bucks per claim.

As far as I know the felt on a roof should be under the drip edge if it is installed properly, if insurance companies are refusing to pay for it then it sounds like they are trying to look to the future because as we all know anything not installed properly is not covered. So next time the roof is damaged they can say it is not covered because it was not properly installed. Beyond that one would think that by having to remove the drip edge for proper installation that that in it self would be considered direct damage from a storm.
Yes it is time for something to be done. So how do we do this?