Steep Roofing Fall Protection Harness Ideas

When doing a steep roof, I know its a good idea to anchor to the ridge rafter; but what about an inspection of a roof.

Chimney?
Lifeline To A Tree?

What are you guys doing?

Thanks

It’s too risky to just do inspections anymore. It’s an insurance nightmare, at least in Massachusetts. That’s why we only do full replacements and not repairs or partials anymore. That way we can measure it from the ground.

Here in British Columbia the only way we can be on a sloped roof above 10 feet with out a harness is if we are estimating, setting the initial anchor or ridge capping

To inspect or measure a steep roof I usually just walk up the valleys or hold on to a rake edge as I climb up.
If this approach isn’t feasible laying a long ladder on the roof usually does the trick.

Cougar Paws really do work very well, you can get around on a 12/12 fairly easily with them.

I’m not saying you can apply a roof with no jacks using Cougar Paws on a 12/12, I am just saying you can get from here to there with them on your feet, on a relatively steep roof.

It really depends on your self confidence, common sense, and comfort level.
I see no need for a harness while inspecting or estimating.

We were once told to move anchor while capping and when you cant move it anymore,you can only have a exp. roofer on roof beyond that… :roll: there so stupid,wouldnt be so bad if it was an actual roofer…

[quote=“kage”]

We were once told to move anchor while capping and when you cant move it anymore,you can only have a exp. roofer on roof beyond that… :roll: there so stupid,wouldnt be so bad if it was an actual roofer…[/quote]

your right every WCB officer can interpit the regs a bit differently but you do have a fighting chance when your capping

To bid a roof or set up safety equipment you’re usualy ok.Builders and roofing contractors should be looking to the future by installing permanent anchors on the roofs we’re doing.