Stimulus Package & Metal Roofing Question(s)

We had a good hailstorm here in my area last week & I have a customer who we did a total re-roofing for about 2 years ago (I gave him the e$stimate prior to buying & then did the installation just after he moved into the house).

He is now considering a swap over to metal; for a 1:1 replacement, he only has the deductible to pay as the prior new roof was negotiated as part of the buy / sell.

The metal job would be higher, of course, but he has heard of some sort of energy efficiency incentives via the Obama Stimulus Package (please, do NOT interject your personal politics into this thread. Don’t.).

He’s also heard about a rebate through our city, & I’m gonna have to do some research on that one; doubt any of y’all know what’s up with the City of Austin, Texas in regards to this kind of financial help.

So, back to the stimulus:

[quote=“in the recent Email he sent me, the customer”]Can you let me know what my options are if I wanted to replace to a metal roof, what the insurance can pay as of current damage and what my upgrade out of pocket cost.

I believe as part of the Obama’s stimulas package, The US Governemt is providing a 1500 tax credit for Metal roof installation, and I also noticed

That Austin energy can provide a 5 year loan for energy efficient upgrades, I am unsure if Metal roof qualifys. I know radiant barrier installations apply.

Please let me what my options are for this something can be worked out. Last year it cost around 6 grand to replace to the roof. [/quote]

End of email from him

BTW, he’s also looking @ other efficient upgrades that might be very costly, especially when not rolling then into a loan or mortgage; wants to take the old school ½" deck off & put down foil faced decking OR something like ACFoam CrossVent (atlasroofing.com/residential/vrcross.asp).

That stuff is great, but I am thinking out of the reach for most homeowners in product cost alone; I have never installed it & have no idea what the cost is (typically) for labor. If you have used the AcFoam or a similar product, what is or was your charge per square? Any special things to know about the installation?

PS: Since he’s knowledgeable on a lot of topics here on Roofing.com, I anticipate a reply from Ed. 8)

seco.cpa.state.tx.us/re_incentives.htm

as far as the Obama Stimulus package,
they are concerned with two issues…
innovation and conservation…
when it comes to property deductibles.
Energy Star approved, LEED certified, and a few others are obvious signs of compliance.

Hope this helps…

All I know is that with a Decra roof or other certain roofing types it lowers your homeowners insurance by around 10 percent or at least ive been told. I could be way wrong. I should do more research into this. I know a 1500 dollar rebate for increasing efficiency was written in there.

In Texas, this # for lowering your insurance is up to 28% (numbers vary depending on the insurer, however the state has mandated this discount; it wasn’t voluntary on the part of the insurance co’s).

It applies to any roof that is considered “Class IV” or better, i.e. a good .26 metal roof of any variety…

But the $ 1,500.00 figure is what I’m specifically looking for.

energystar.gov/index.cfm?c=p … ax_credits

Is the link to energy Tax credits for 2009’s upgrades.

Thanks for the information. Much appreciated.

I was reading that they were going to have a no-cap %, but only to be used in the year installed, and only for product…

No offense Ranchhand, but if you have never installed, maybe you should sit this one out.

I’m sure that there is plenty of profitable work in your area of expertise. Why take a chance on something that you don’t even know how to price? You could be spending that time doing what you know will put money in your pocket.

Alot of times we let our ego get in the way of making good business decisions.

Outlaw, everyone has a 1st time.

I can see doing some apprentice time on a metal job (& I’ve got metal experience), but for the ventilated decking system (which is the part I have not done before), I can’t see that it’s too much more difficult other than a specific fastening system.

I can find out from the various manufacturers if there are any active builds going on in this area & try to see the installation process.

I mean, it’s a roof deck… we’re not talking rocket science, are we?

one thing about the atlas product that I think was missed…it goes over the existing sheathing
and serves as the under vent for the warranty on the metal roofing system. Although Atlas goes up to
2 inches…I have seen literature for up to 6 inch ( from a different distributor) …I think it would be considered stress skin at that point…The edge metals that most Mfg sell would
cover this Atlas product, but If your thinking of going larger…then the rake and fascia detail changes dramatically. I am working in a subdivision built in 1945. There are no over hangs…yet roofers are just popping ridge vents on and a few 2 inch aluminum soffit plugs…rafters are 2x6…so r19 is the typical roof system. This vented ISO/ OSB panel allows me to add insulation, right over the sheathing, and ventilate under the shingles/ metal roofing. With a few little creative carpentry ideas, I have been able to add an 8 inch overhang.Last year GAF rep told me that I could get a warranty for asphalt shingles installed
on cathedral ceilings that had foam solid in the cavity and “0” ventilation. There was a question about open cell vs closed cell, but my point is…
for shingling anyways…going over a rigid panel with OSB, the vent wasn’t needed…but if your
trying to move some attic air up into a partial roof area, like a ceiling area in a Cape style house with a finished ceiling…the vent design would work fine.

There is a $1500 tax credit this year if you install an energy star paint roof.If you send me an email I’ll send ya the info.-Ray

Ray, I’ve found out a lot of other details since the initiation of this thread.

This is one example; it’s a company in the Austin area, but they have additional links to follow:

ctmrs.com/stimulus.asp

Ranch hand,

The only reason that I advise against it is that you will be taking away from your more profitable core business which is shingles.

There will be a learning curve. I am sure that you can figure out how to properly install. But, unless you have someone working for you that has installed alot of metal roofs, it will take alot of time to get it right. That is time you could be spending on shingles.

Outlaw, I have experience in metal.

Snap lock, standing seam, etc. No issues there.

I was looking for information on the tax incentives.

Sorry

I thought I had read in your first post that you had never install it and was waondering how much to charge.

As far as the tax incentive, it is 33% up to $1500.

[quote=“RanchHandRoofing”]This is one example; it’s a company in the Austin area, but they have additional links to follow:

ctmrs.com/stimulus.asp[/quote]

That page is incorrect with this passage:

It is not for all roofing. Just metal and asphalt. And I even question the Energy Star website for including asphalt at all.

Section 25C of the IRS tax code only mentions metal roofing. The bill for the Stimulus package only mentions metal roofing. How Energy Star came up with asphalt roofing is beyond me, and am investigating.

If you believe Energy Star information, this basically leaves limited options for a flat residential roof by virtue of omitting such qualified ES products such as TPO and coatings. Again, still investigating this matter and some manufacturers are claiming their materials DO qualify for the credit (but I think they are jumping the gun).

One thing that everyone should be aware of is that the early bird gets the worm here. The tax credit is a one-time credit for all components combined (windows, insulation, roofing, etc.) Once you surpass $5000 in materials, your credit is maxed out. With the price of materials going through the roof, it will not take much to hit that threshold.

gaf.com/Content/GAF/RES1/ROO … r=&module=

Here’s some “cool” shingles. Price is double of a conventional shingle. Not much incentive with only a 30% $1500.00 rebate. Makes steel even more attractive.

If anyone has any questions, their supplier or sales rep should be able to answer them.

the passive solar heating/ roof system qualifies.

irs.gov/newsroom/article/0, … 69,00.html

The new law also eliminates the cap on the 30 percent tax credit for alternative energy equipment, such as solar water heaters, geothermal heat pumps and small wind turbines, installed in a home. The cap generally has been eliminated for these improvements beginning in the 2009 tax year. The IRS today issued Notice 2009-41, which explains the effects of this change.