Storm Chasing Software

I heard that there are websites and/or alart services that you can subscribe to get storm information (to be a storm chaser). Could you please share the info. Thanks.

So for some reason, you’ve decided you want to be a storm chaser but you don’t know where to get information about storms? Sounds like you’ve made a sound decision based on a foundation of knowledge and fact.

Hailwatch is a service where you can buy hail swaths.

Hopefully objective info here… but you are looking at some pretty complex stuff to try and chase a storm. Each state has different codes, licensing requirements, insurance and bond requirements. You also are looking at managing a very large area, so internal company structure is important.

We deal with companies all the time, where a rogue sales force makes all the demands, and essentially runs the show. The contractor is at their mercy for pricing and has no way to track jobs. Do you have a robust CRM that can handle that? Do you have sales processes that make sure that you are maximizing your returns?

Do your sales people know how to speak the insurance language? I will tell you now that if you are doing jobs just based off a scope written by an adjuster, you just left a hug pile of money on the table, and a client with a half completed job. I know, we write for our clients all the time.

How do you handle contracts and jobs? Do you go to the adjuster meeting with Xactimate in hand? Do you measure the roof, or do you use an aerial roof measurement service. If you use a service, is it the same one as the adjuster? Do you supplement and cross your fingers? what is your process for documenting each job?

There are a lot of questions, from how to market, sell, manage, and interact that aren’t just solved by technology. Much of this has to do with training and experience. I would say that your best bet is to perfect your process in your area, and then spread with the use of technology, and sound business principles and processes.

I don’t pay for hail or wind information, nor do I chase storms around the country or MN for that matter.

Instead I get all my DOL’s for free.

Had to laugh today. This morning a roof across from one we were finishing got denied the big old zero with a slash through it. Right at supper time two guys dressed in orange walked through their yard up to the front door. Hours after being denied with a huge zero on the roof and the guys had the nerve to go to the door!

A good friend of mine is a storm chaser and he said one thing he and his guys never do is walk through the home owners grass. His words were, “you could get shot for that”…

[quote=“dougger222”]

Had to laugh today. This morning a roof across from one we were finishing got denied the big old zero with a slash through it. Right at supper time two guys dressed in orange walked through their yard up to the front door. Hours after being denied with a huge zero on the roof and the guys had the nerve to go to the door!

A good friend of mine is a storm chaser and he said one thing he and his guys never do is walk through the home owners grass. His words were, “you could get shot for that”…[/quote]

I wouldn’t call that nerve. We have gotten dozens of previously denied roofs fully approved for replacement.

Agreed. Five different adjusters will give you five different decisions on damage. Some of them have been in construction, others… well lets just say they would have a hard time figuring out which end of the hammer to hold.

It’s more than that. I’ve seen moron storm chasers meet an adjuster on a roof with tons of wind damage who only argued hail and got denied. We worked with the Homeowner to have a second adjuster come out, argued for wind damage and got the entire roof approved for replacement. Now you’d think that first adjuster would have done the right thing and made the call on wind damage anyway but I think that is an example of their disdain for storm chasers, particularly ones that are morons.

[quote=“dougger222”]I don’t pay for hail or wind information, nor do I chase storms around the country or MN for that matter.

Instead I get all my DOL’s for free.

A good friend of mine is a storm chaser and he said one thing he and his guys never do is walk through the home owners grass. His words were, “you could get shot for that”…[/quote]

“two guys dressed in orange”? Escapee’s from the local jail?

Everytime I saw one of those big zeros with a line through it I took that as a challenge. Signed up the HO (after the previous contractor who didn’t get the job done gave up), had the HO call for a re-inspect and got most of em and all for good money!

I agree as well.Just because the slope(s) contain the slashed zero does not mean the claim is closed.I had an adjusters meeting a couple days ago with Allstate.Super simple claim.damage seen and obviously a no brainer.

While on the roof I notice 2 more a house down with the feared zero’s.The adjuster totaled the roof,siding and gutters.After I was finished I walked to house #1 and had permission to inspect,NICE!!!,House #2 same thing,also NICE!!!,even better the customer in #2 had a home 1 street over with multiple buildings.

I inspected those and found the same Zeros.So re-inspections are called in and guess what,yep ALL 3!!!,even better they are ALL Allstate.I have 2 more re-inspects with,yep Allstate,they are just asking for my scope and pix,thats it.So yes even though they have Zero’s the claim is still active IMO.

I have them all under contract and ready to roll.What gets me is the homeowners who are gullible having 100% faith that the insurance companies are looking out for the good of the homeowner.

I have been told by a few homeowners that the adjusters have looked and could not find anything.And they are good with that.They end the conversation with (Quote)" If they found anything,they would have said",after all I have been with them 10 years.(Quote)

Just some insight into this cloak of “Greater Good” put on the insured.The customer #1 had Allstate for over 40 years with 2 justifiable legitimate claims.,Talk about shi**ing in your own backyard,Wow,so much for customer appreciation.