Suggestions...how can I get my money

Im new to the biz and have not encountered this problem yet…what would you do??
I sub contracted a crew to install a GAF-timberline architectural shingle roof in nov. the homeowner was unhappy because some of the shingles in the front section of the house didn’t lay flat right away. I explained it just needed some time to lay down and adhere, it would not be a problem. Homeowner waited a few weeks then claimed he had a private inspector look at the roof who told him it was a manufacturers defect.
I said fine, I’ll help you through the warranty recovery process. The homeowner since then has refused to pay (he owes $3k) and will not answer or return calls. It’s a rental so I don’t know where he lives.
Question to you is how can I get my money from him if he won’t pay? Any suggestions other than sueing?

[quote=“Ryan1”]Im new to the biz and have not encountered this problem yet…what would you do??
I sub contracted a crew to install a GAF-timberline architectural shingle roof in nov. the homeowner was unhappy because some of the shingles in the front section of the house didn’t lay flat right away. I explained it just needed some time to lay down and adhere, it would not be a problem. Homeowner waited a few weeks then claimed he had a private inspector look at the roof who told him it was a manufacturers defect.
I said fine, I’ll help you through the warranty recovery process. The homeowner since then has refused to pay (he owes $3k) and will not answer or return calls. It’s a rental so I don’t know where he lives.
Question to you is how can I get my money from him if he won’t pay? Any suggestions other than sueing?[/quote]

The address to the owner of the property will be on the auditor website. Place a lien and a notice in the local paper that you intend to place the lien for legal purposes. Take him to small claims court. I’d have GAF inspect the roof for defects and pray they don’t say it was installer error.

Make sure you have documented all of the conversations and comments. Get a copy of the consultants finding and comments from the GAF inspection. Go to small claims court as mentioned above as soon as possible. DO NOT LET IT SLIDE.
It is very common for shingles not to lay down in winter weather. I’d highly question another roofer saying it is a manufacturers defect.

I’d have GAF inspect the roof for defects and pray they don’t say it was installer error.

Wouldn’t it be in GAF’s interest to conclude installer error? I don’t believe the homeowner had an inspection done. I asked to be there and he refused, then asked for the inspection report which has been ignored. The homeowner has taken zero steps towards processing a manufacturers defect…since he still refuses to pay it seems clear he just isn’t going to.
Any other recourse besides court or a lien? Has anyone torn off a roof due to non payment? Seems extreme to me and would certainly escalate things, but it has been suggested to me.

Don’t even think of tearing off the roof. Good or bad it will be a negative that sticks with you forever. The manufacturer will tell the owner that the shingles were installed in cold weather and shouldn’t be expected to lay down. I think there is a statement about that on the package or on the GAF web site. You should get to the rep before the owner and talk it over with him. After all, you are his customer. Unless you screwed up the installation or don’t have a license you shouldn’t have any trouble. Since you are new, be aware that this won’t be the only time a homeowner tries to cut you out of some money. Get used to it. Be prepared by filing preliminary lien notices (if you have them in your state) on the project to cover your butt.

Thank you for the advice…that’s all what I figured.

buy a gun…kiddin…

Ryan - What State are you in?

“Theft of Service”. He may be teetering on committing a jailable offense - a felony.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Theft_of_services

I’m in MO

Don’t go tear off the roof, you will be responsible for any damages occur.

I had a boss tell me to always leave a tool of some sort (usually a knife) on the roof in the case of non-payment. If they don’t pay for the roof it makes it hard for them to complain later that you installed a leaky roof. :slight_smile:

?.. WTF… :?

Hi, I am new here. Thanks for sharing the information.