Supplier carrying a new ice and water..any good?

Are local supplier is carrying a cheaper brand called Henry’s ice and water has anyone ever used it? Its much cheaper then the rest but is it a pain to put down can it be repositioned? I really don’t care about its performance since ice and water from what I have seen is only as good as the nails in the roof, one rusted nail and the ice and water is useless… Always thought that the self sealing claims were funny guess a nail hole is just to large and electro nails just don’t last that long
Thanks jeff
henry.com/roofing/underlayments/eaveguard

There are quite a few “ice & water” type products on the market. All of them are less expensive than Grace. They all are working fairly well. Reposition? Not if the product is working properly. If you can reposition it then you didn’t clean the plywood of all the saw dust, dirt and debris.

Atlas ice and water is my favorite, right on the package it states that it can be repositioned if you get wrinkles but must be done before full adhesion has been set, within 10 minutes I have found. I am not a fan of grace, sticks to fast and cost way to high

If you, “Don’t care about performance” and aren’t filing a warranty for that particular job then I’d say use what you want. Don’t hate on
Grace, it’s still the best I&W for things like built in gutters and such do to it’s amazing pliability.

Haven’t tried Henry’s but CertainTeed’s DiamondDeck is great if you can convince the customer to go for it.

Henry eaveguard works fine, that said I never had any issues when 30lb felt was the norm, so perhaps im the wrong person to ask. It has good foot grip, sticks well and the release paper doesn’t fall to pieces when you peel it off.

If there is a genuine need for ice & water shield steps should be taken to prevent the cause for the need.

These steps are usually more/better insulation and functioning ventilation.

As roofers we stress the need for proper ventilation mostly because this is something that we can easily provide for half of what is required.

By this I mean that we can cut a slot and install ridgevent, this is pretty standard.

Ridgevent is the exhaust portion of your ventilation system.

In order for the ridgevent or any exhaust vent to work there has to be functioning intake.

Intake ventilation really isn’t the realm of the roofer to design or repair but we do it daily.

Intake ventilation has more to do with framing, siding, & insulation than roofing.

It’s all related and every portion has to be functioning for the system to work at all.

TLDR:
If you have good insulation and proper ventilation the need for ice & water shield is drastically minimized.
Poor ventilation and inadequate insulation is the cause of ice dams.

In some/many cases there is a genuine need for a quality ice & water shield, one that actually works.

Older homes that once had cedar shingles and have since been retrofitted.

This is a home that needs ice & water shield.

Not only do homes like this (in cold climates) need ice & water shield they also need to be nailed with truly non-corrosive nails.
Non-corrosive nails like double dipped galvanized or stainless steel nails.
Contrary to what many may think or believe , electroplated nails aren’t rustproof, and they are far from non-corrosive.

Homes like this IMO require Grace Ice & Water shield in combination with truly non-corrosive fasteners.

New homes that are all cut up with complicated rooflines, these are another candidate for the real stuff (in respect to ice & water shield & non-corrosive fasteners), because you just can’t make these things breath right.

What it comes down to is that if you truly need a ice & water shield you want to use Grace in combination with non-corrosive fasteners.

In response to the OP.
The ice & Water shield you are referring to is junk and will not function as advertised under adverse conditions.