Support under ridge vent?

The top tier of 1/2" plywood will be 8" wide after I cut the slot for the ShingleVent II.

Do I need to add blocking between the rafters for the upper edge of the ply since I’m losing the support of the ridge board?

The roof is 4/12 with rafters 16" OC.

Regards,

Mike

If your ply is 8" wide and your rafters are 16" OC you should be fine without any additional blocking.

But often times the rafters are 24 inches on center with a 3-6 inch strip of 1/2 inch plywood at the top. It seems that no one ever wants to do what it takes to correct the problem which is cut the existing wood 2 ft. down from the ridge and install 2 ft wide and 8 ft. long strips across the length. The roofers don’t want to do the work and the home owners don’t want to pay for it thus a lot of roofs like this end up with little sunken in strips of plywood under the ridge and many times they leak as well.

Alrighty, that’s what I did. It’s actually sturdier now with better nails than it was with the ridge support and wimpy nails.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards,

Mike

[quote=“turbogoat”]

Alrighty, that’s what I did. It’s actually sturdier now with better nails than it was with the ridge support and wimpy nails.

Thanks for the replies.

Regards,

Mike[/quote]

The entire roof deck would probably benefit greatly from re-nailing it.

I end up re-nailing approx 1/2 the roofs I do, it makes a big difference.

Axiom said:

"The entire roof deck would probably benefit greatly from re-nailing it.

I end up re-nailing approx 1/2 the roofs I do, it makes a big difference."

Thanks, I will do that, as much of the decking is only loosely attached to the framework.

Mike