Tamko Heritage 25 Roof Failed After 11 Years

Hurricane Sandy struck Maryland (inland- gusts of 70 MPH) and we lost between ~200-300 square feet of our roof shingles in Oct 2012. We had significant leaks from the roof in 4 rooms of our home too. Our roofing product was Tamko Heritage 25 which was what our builder offered us in 2001.

Our insurance agent has told us that he is going to recommend that our roof be considered a total loss. I am beyond upset. Granted the storm was a strong one but we should not have had significant damage.

We looked into the warranty and it was one of the most bogus that I have ever seen. In our case, it’s not Tamko refusing to honor their warranty but that their warranty is so poor it is useless.

After reading other posts and based on my own experience, I believe Tamko makes a significantly inferior product.

Educate yourself and read consumer reports. NEVER INSTALL A TAMKO ROOF ON YOUR HOUSE UNLESS YOU LIKE FILING INSURANCE CLAIMS AND HAVING DAMAGE TO YOUR HOUSE.

[quote=“toolwells”]Hurricane Sandy struck Maryland (inland- gusts of 70 MPH) and we lost between ~200-300 square feet of our roof shingles in Oct 2012. We had significant leaks from the roof in 4 rooms of our home too. Our roofing product was Tamko Heritage 25 which was what our builder offered us in 2001.

Our insurance agent has told us that he is going to recommend that our roof be considered a total loss. I am beyond upset. Granted the storm was a strong one but we should not have had significant damage.

We looked into the warranty and it was one of the most bogus that I have ever seen. In our case, it’s not Tamko refusing to honor their warranty but that their warranty is so poor it is useless.

After reading other posts and based on my own experience, I believe Tamko makes a significantly inferior product.

Educate yourself and read consumer reports. NEVER INSTALL A TAMKO ROOF ON YOUR HOUSE UNLESS YOU LIKE FILING INSURANCE CLAIMS AND HAVING DAMAGE TO YOUR HOUSE.[/quote]

I can understand your frustration.But if you were to think about it IT WAS A SUPER STORM !!!

I don’t warranty roofs with damage from an ACT OF GOD !!! And to be totally honest and NEITHER does ;

Certainteed
Tamko
Owens Corning
GAF
Atlas
IKO
Malarky

I would not complain because in your situation if it were an Act Of God.That itself releases the manufacture,contractor or anyone else in their right mind from Coverage/Obligation to your roof.So before you bash a manufacture read your warranty.

[quote=“toolwells”]Hurricane Sandy struck Maryland (inland- gusts of 70 MPH) and we lost between ~200-300 square feet of our roof shingles in Oct 2012. We had significant leaks from the roof in 4 rooms of our home too. Our roofing product was Tamko Heritage 25 which was what our builder offered us in 2001.

Educate yourself and read consumer reports. NEVER INSTALL A TAMKO ROOF ON YOUR HOUSE UNLESS YOU LIKE FILING INSURANCE CLAIMS AND HAVING DAMAGE TO YOUR HOUSE.[/quote]

PEBKAC

Did you by chance happen to look at the warranty documents for GAF, Certainteed, OC or any other shingle manufacturers by chance? Perhaps that would be prudent before blasting Tamko. We install quite a bit of Tamko product and I believe it to be a quality product. Since we use every manufacturer during the course of a given year, I’m also familiar with the other company’s warranty. They are no better, or worse, than Tamko from a warranty perspective.

It is also possible the roofing contractor you utilized to install the Tamko shingles improperly nailed the shingles contributing if not causing the problem. You’ll only know that if a competent contractor reviews the install. Hopefully, for your sake, the insurance pays for a complete replacement.

I think it is worth noting that my company has a very good example of the quality of Tamko. We had a 3 tab install in Alabama right in the middle of a neighborhood devastated by a tornado this past January. Our install was the previous summer, Tamko Elite Glass Seal. The houses surrounding this house all had their roofs completely totaled. The house with the Tamko 3 tab roof sustained over $20,000 worth of damage to siding, gutter, windows, gazebo and other areas. However, not a single Tamko shingle was damaged. Not one. Of course, we six nail everything and as our record shows, provide a high quality install. As I stated, we have substantial proof relating to the quality of the Tamko shingle.

Is this one of those Gotcha! posts?

Well code there is 6 nailing so that being said it was either installed improperly or well maybe if you think about it a frigan hurricane came through. tamko has an ok warranty just like all the other manufacturers. read your facts before you try to inform the people that install and fix issues with roofs all the time

I’m the original poster and yes shame on me- caveat emptor. Our state licensed builder gave us two recommendations, the three tab or an upgrade to the architectural shingle. We went with an upgrade. Didn’t do my research then and when I looked at the warranty this weekend I realized the Tamko warranty wasn’t worth the paper it was printed on.

Yes Hurricane Sandy was a strong storm but we live in the DC area not along the coast. Our neighbors didn’t lose their roofs and most of their roofs are older. We don’t live in a subdivision but live in the country and some of our neighbors are in a more open area with less tree cover. We’ve had black stains for 3-4 years now too. We have had shingles fall off in other storms before too.

I can’t “complain” that they were defective because technically the shingles weren’t defective as they met the very pathetic specs. We had wind gusts of greater than 60 miles an hour and the warranty covers wind gusts of up to 60 miles per hour for up to 60 months. I don’t know if we got the AR shingles but let’s say for argument sake we didn’t. Using the logic of the earlier poster, I guess I should be happy if my car lasts 3 years/36K miles and if it completely breaks at like 60K miles I should have known better.

So while I can’t get a settlement from the Tamko, I can sure as heck let everyone know what I think of my shingles. I am not alone.

You seem somewhat confused. Your title names a model of Tamko that is 30 year but you say 25 year. Tamko Heritage 30 year shingles have more than a 60 MPH warranty. I think you may be confused by believing that because the “state licensed” contractor you mentioned is that, state licensed, it means he is good. Given what you are describing, I’d bet a reasonable sum of money the root cause of your problem is the installation, not the shingle. You don’t seem to be someone who let’s the facts get in the way of your feelings, therefore I’ll just let it go at that.

If all you want to do is ignore facts and bitch and moan, have a happy please. If you’re actually interested in proceeding with some intelligence, I’d highly recommend having a proven, reputable local contractor inspect your roof. If he determines the Tamko shingles are indeed faulty, I’d propose you actually contact Tamko with your findings. Or PM me here, I have direct contact with a very good Tamko Direct Representative, I’ll ask him to help. Again, I’ll bet the root cause problems lie with your install. I’ll bet you won’t take the steps to actually discover that, it is much easier for you to tear up Tamko without proof. I’d also bet that should you actually have the roof inspected and find it to be installation related problems, you’d never come back here and apologize to Tamko for your error.

Have a great day!

I would guess that the 30’s used to be 25’s before everyone changed their warranties.

Toolwells: I’m not sure on Tamko’s as I only installed two of their roofs but on other brands the AR’s didn’t come out around here until maybe 2005.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but before you accuse someone of not having their facts straight and before engaging in ad hominem attacks you should really be 100% sure of your facts.

I am looking at the warranty form that Tamko just mailed us (for a house built in 2001/could be different now) as I write this and also the builder contract from 11 years ago which states Tamko Heritage 25. We also have a package of the shingles with the wrap that states Tamko Heritage 25.

The Tamko Warranty form lists shingles including Heritage 25 (Full Start Period 5 years/ dollar limit per square $40), Heritage 30 (Full Start Period 7 years/dollar limit per square $45) which is the actual shingle that Consumer Reports rated, Heritage 40 (Full Start Period 7 years/ dollar limit per square is $55).

As a homeowner with an 11 year old Tamko roof that I am going to replace now, yes I am beyond upset. It is a fact that my roof failed after only 11 years of use and that the insurance adjuster has recommended a full roof replacement.

I can also see that the folks who have been responding to me on the board are ones who have defended “Tamko” alot on this message board which is interesting. All shingle manufacturers have made defective products but a simple web search on Tamko reveals more problems with than others.

Self Employed Slave- thanks for being the only one not to attack me for my opinion on the boards. If anyone is curious, we are strongling considering replacing our Tamko shingles with Certainteed Landmark Premium Shingles and using a roofer listed on the Certainteed web site. We are also checking the roofers with the BBB/Angie’s list.

Tamko did in fact make a Heritage 25.I have installed quite a bit of them back when I started out.The difference between the new 30’s (Limiteds) obviously is the 5 year but its also with the exposure.

Heritage 25’s had an exposure of 5" and once they eliminated the 25’s the exposure was changed to 5"-5/8" exposure.The length of the shingle changed too.

If your shingles were 25AR you would know it because that was a “Premium” classified shingle and the cost would be something you would remember.

Perhaps you should look up the definition of ad hominen before you attempt to use the term. All I’m saying, in a nutshell, is have your roof inspected by an expert to determine the root cause problem AND compare Tamko’s warranty to competitors (of that time frame). Your complaints thus are of a result without a single fact to support them. If the shingles aren’t installed properly, NO manufacturer will warranty the installation. That is fact.

If you go to a quick lube station to have your oil changed, they forget to put the plug back, your oil leaks out and your engine fails, do you think that is a valid warranty issue against the car manufacturer? IMHO, until you have all the facts, you do not have a valid complaint.

We are going to have to agree to disagree. The insurance adjuster didn’t find any problems with the installation of the roof and I don’t install roofs for a living so I’m going with what he said.

Can anyone tell me what I should pay ballpark for a 50 square roof in my area (DC) for installation of Certainteed Landmark Premium and removal of old shingles. I think the material cost (roofing center) is about $13K so with installation what should the cost be/$10k for basis Landmarks? I’m getting very expensive quotes ~$23K range. Does this seem out of line? I am wondering if the roofing companies are charging more due to the storms we’ve had this year.

Well there you have it, the Adjuster told you so it must be true. Everyone here knows how competent with roofing the Insurance Adjusters are. :roll: Look, I’m happy for you that you are getting your roof paid for. I have zero financial interest in Tamko or any other shingle manufacturer for that matter. I’m simply an advocate of seeking the facts when trying to understand something.

Best of luck to you! I have no idea what the rates are in your area or I’d offer an opinion. I would recommend, however, that you read the Certainteed Warranty very carefully BEFORE you install the shingles.

Its not necessarily the roofing contractors charging without merit but the shingle manufactures,suppliers,transporting etc.

When storms roll in shingle manufactures,suppliers and the transport industry that makes a killing.Contractors are left trying to figure out how to profit.

On the very long food chain of storm earnings roofing contractors are on the bottom.Then the homeowners try to nickel and dime them to death.A little here and a little there,then factor in the deductible eaters,the cash back contractors and other bottom feeders at the end of the day its the honest hard working Joe that is left fighting for scraps.

I was offered $100 per square for new construction in D.C.And that’s the going rate for a 5/12 walk roof.Labor only.With the high demand and cost of getting material to your area I would say that $500 per square is realistic.

lmao the adjuster told you the roof was installed right, that fact alone tells me all i need to know about you. grats on the new roof. now stop whining and complaining on this board, your insurance is going to pay for the roof, so what does it matter what it costs. WE install the products, we know how they are and what they are. we fix the “bad” shingles and the storm damage as well as the improper installs. i personally have replaced a gaf roof a week after i put it on. were the shingles bad? no, but 120 mph plus winds will kill any roof.

Here’s what may be missing. If the Adjuster had found the problem was with the shingles, he would have potentially denied the claim, as manufacturer’s quality problems are not part of the coverage. These are the type of Customers I hope I’m fortunate enough to avoid during the course of a year.

What I have found with the public,as a rule the adjuster is the first to communicate and connect with the homeowners.So in reality more time than not the adjuster is automatically labeled “Savior” especially with catastrophes.

We as contractors know not to many adjusters really understand a quality installation.So trying to influence homeowners against their "Savior"during a catastrophe is like kicking a dead horse.(I have never kicked an animal let alone a dead horse so not to sure what that means,it just seemed appropriate)

The general public is not knowledgible about proper roof installations nor are they savvy about insurance processes(Except in TX and OK) so when an adjuster/Savior tells them they have a proper installation they tend to believe them.

Homeowners in general freak when storms are coming or when and after they happen.And rightfully so I assume.I have always been the type to look for the tornado,watch it,dodge hail stones falling from the sky in a yard or parking lot trying to find the biggest one.Marvel in the landfall/aftermath of a Cat 5 hurricane.

Storms and the damage they cause strike fear in the general public.Storm claims disrupts peoples lives.Towns are swamped by contractors and people claiming to be contractors or professionals in their trade.Some are and some are not.

I maybe over dramatizing the storm scenario and how it could affect the everyday homeowner but maybe not.

Toolswell, I don’t think you would have found any of the warranties much different from the Tamko product back then, if you were looking at similarly priced products. Your roof lasted 11 yrs and got hit by hurricane forced winds. Stuff happens; thats why you have insurance.

I’d be more inclined to believe that you have a defective installation or substandard substrate.

I most certainly wouldn’t accept the insurance adjuster’s inspection as anything worth repeating. Call Tamko and file a warranty claim. Their people will be interested and competent and send someone with a bit more experience than your insurance adjuster, who might have zero experience with roofs.

I’m not defending Tamko, nor criticizing them. I just don’t think you’ve provided enough information to adequately condemn them. If you look hard enough on the net, you’ll find the exact same story (complaint) for every brand.