Tamko Shingles Good/Bad?

Any thoughts on Tamko Heritage 30 yr arch. shingles, good/bad?
My contractor is saying that they are good shingles? Most people around here is going with Pinnacles.
Please give me your opinions as soon as possible, I need to make a choice soon.
Thanks

Tamko and atlas architects are both good shingles.

Pick your roofer first though.
Let your favorite roofer choose the shingle!

Post a picture of the house.
I’ll give you my opinion on the best color to choose from both brands.

If your looking for the charcoal color scheme, then choose Tamko definitely.

But atlas pinnacle has some colors that are better in color scheme than tamko.

I remember when tamko old english pewter used to be my favorite shingle. A “light” color that looked real good on a lot of roofs.
All those roofs look ugly as sin now.
I have got to get into the cleaning business…

1 Like

Tamko is very good, they are my preferred brand. Also, if you use their 6 nail pattern, the warranty is for 110 mph. Atlas doesn’t offer this. Tamko is the most widely used shingle in my area. Atlas would be the next.

Never touched a Tamko laminate but see about 1-2% of the roofs being done in my area put on with Tamko Heritage shingles. There are a couple storm chasers who use them.

Tore off a 10 year old Tamko 40 year laminate roof recently. All the shingle delaminated while being torn off. The roof had very poor ventilation and the roofing nails had a lot of rust on them so suspect there were problems out of the shingles control at hand.

The three big laminate shingles in my area are,
Timberline
Landmark
Duration

6 nails in a 36" shingle.

How do you keep the nails out of the seams?

Hey Guys,
I will have to think about this for awhile, I want wind resistance but also durability. Do you know if the Tamkos are lighter or heavier in weight ?
Thinner or thicker than Atlas Pinnacles?
I don’t know what to do about the brand or color right now.
THANK YOU for all your opinions,

[quote=“kourso”]Hey Guys,
I will have to think about this for awhile, I want wind resistance but also durability. Do you know if the Tamkos are lighter or heavier in weight ?
Thinner or thicker than Atlas Pinnacles?
I don’t know what to do about the brand or color right now.
THANK YOU for all your opinions,[/quote]

Certainteed Landmarks.

we had some problems with Tamko several years back. The sawtooth would run about a half inch high or low.
The rep came out and offered to give us a credit though. I think there OK for the most part although there not that popular here.GAF & Certainteed are the two big ones

[quote=“-Axiom-”]

How do you keep the nails out of the seams?[/quote]

That’s the problem I see putting 5-6 nails per shingle.

Tamko metal works shingle is really good.

110 mph 50 year warranty. Very light (90 lb/sq) look great - choose from tile cedar shingle or slate look… very-well designed and thought through roofing systems.

ps - this reply may seem off topic to some… :mrgreen:

“How do you keep the nails out of the seams?”

It isn't 36 divisible by six Axiom. Look up their pattern. In LA an FL 6 nails per shingle is recommended, no matter what the shingle.

0    00    00    0

we have been six nailing every job for years. If you no your placement there will not be a problem. A nail in a joint is a potential leak so you cant be sloppy.

[quote=“-Axiom-”]

How do you keep the nails out of the seams?[/quote]

As roofer J said, if you know your placement, it’s not a problem. And besides NOBODY in our area sells an “english” shingle… ALL metric.

tamko
yay

gweedo.

Hey Guys,
I really appreciate the great help with the shingles opinions good/bad.
I am weighing out all of the replies and will have to make a good decision.
I would think you wouldn’t want a light 90# sq. but rather a much heavier shingle. ??? You tell me ???
So 6 nails are the only way to go in S. LA, hurricane country?
I see alot of Pinnacles around here, that is Atlas, right?
I don’t know why that is. I haven’t seen any Certainteed and only a couple of GAF Timberlines.
Thanks,

you don’t see certainteeds because almost nobody sells them. In the entire LC area i only know of one lumber yard that is a certainteed dealer, and they don’t even keep them in stock. If i had a customer want certainteed, i’d have to special order it.

yes, pinnacle is atlas.

I see a few elk/gaf here in louisiana, but not many. and about 1/3 of those i see are the 40 year Capstone, which is a BEAUTIFUL shingle. especially the granite color.

I prefer Gaf/Elk Timberline Prestique high def. over Tamko…(imo) The saw tooth Tamkos are defects, and the elks are rarely bad,from what I’ve seen anyway…They practically lay themselves…(easy to keep straight with no lines)… Tamko 6 nails 00 0 0 00

… . right handed/ working from left to right.

or

. … left handed/ working from right to left.

We like GAF Timberline, OC Duration and Certs landmarks. We used to use Tamko until they had all the problems with quality. De-laminations are very frequent, call backs cost too much.

If it were Me I would ask about the warranty. Tamko has a tale gate warranty compared to the companies I have listed at the beginning of this post.

It don’t cost much more to buy a quality shingle in the beginning. It may save you an issue in the long run.

BTW The Cert. Rep explained to me that the never recommend six nail, said they found it makes for less flat roofs :?: GAF requires 6 nail for the 110 MPH wind warranty, As dose OC ( I think). What about Starter up the Gables? Do you guys do that too? And Do you register your roofs?

I’ve sold around 500 roofs with TAMKO here in tornado Alley. We also install about the same amount of GAF/Elk.

no issues out of either. I guess the “bad batch” of TAMKO missed us.

You will see more TAMKO products here in the midwest, as the corp office is right around the corner from me, and of course “TAMKO” stands for “Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma”.

like others have said… dont get too hung up on a brand. pick the best roofer first, THEN talk about brands.