Tamko Shingles

I have customer that I did a consult on this week. They had Tamko shingles installed 3 years ago. The shingles are actually sliding down and buckling in spots. There are also a few areas where the laminate is coming apart from the shingle. Obviously they are architechurals. Has any of you guys run into something similar? Is it a defect? It appears as though they were nailed properly I will get more of an answer to that this weekend I need to remove a shingle so that they can send it to Tamko.

If the nails are in the correct place then i would have to guess a bad set of shingles.

Hi,

What pitch is the roof?

If they are nailed right how could they seperate?

Yeah, what Lefty said.

Archs cannot slide if theyre nailed properly.

[quote=“AaronB.”]Yeah, what Lefty said.

Archs cannot slide if theyre nailed properly.[/quote]

Never over estimate the quality of Tamko :shock:

to me a tamko runs in line with IKO. If the nails are in the right spot it has to be bad shingles if the nails are in the wrong spot then it is the nailing pattern

well the actually shingle is coming apart at the two layers in some areas also.

If the shingles are delaminating, then it sounds like a manufacturing problem. I would work with Tamko on the issue, when I used to deal with them they were a family-owned business and were a good company to deal with. I had problems with their mod. bit. once, during the calendaring process a defect occurred where plugs were taken out of the surface of the membrane. We sent them photos, and they took care of the problem.

As for gtp1003’s assertion that Tamko is equivalent to IKO, that is just not true. Generally speaking, Tamko makes fairly good asphalt products for roofing.

[quote=“Cerberus”]If the shingles are delaminating, then it sounds like a manufacturing problem. I would work with Tamko on the issue, when I used to deal with them they were a family-owned business and were a good company to deal with. I had problems with their mod. bit. once, during the calendaring process a defect occurred where plugs were taken out of the surface of the membrane. We sent them photos, and they took care of the problem.

As for gtp1003’s assertion that Tamko is equivalent to IKO, that is just not true. Generally speaking, Tamko makes fairly good asphalt products for roofing.[/quote]

This must mean one of two things, you either get diffrent material than what we get here in the Indy area, or you dont know what a quality product is.

Not trying to be an @SS about it, but the quality of the Tamko material is terriable.

I still think it is in that area of junk sorry if that offends you.

Well, maybe they send junk up to you guys! :stuck_out_tongue:

Seriously, I haven’t used Tamko shingles in a long time, and don’t come across their mod. bit. too often. There mod. bit. still seems to be alright, but I really can’t comment on the shingles nowadays. As for them shipping us different products here, that may actually be true. Tamko stands for (Texas, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, and Oklahoma), which was their original sales area. It is quite possible that as they’ve expanded their material quality has dropped. At any rate, I’m still an Elk man when it comes to shingles.

Thanks guys didn’t mean to start a TAMKO war just was curious I have there claims department and I am gonnna spend sometime on the phone Monday to see if I can’t help the customer get this problem resolved.

Did you ever find out anything on the sliding shingles? We are seeing the same thing…

This is regarding Tamko premium shingles. We had them installed on our roof. We added a room onto our home and then reroofed the entire home. The shingles are horrible. I have contacted Tamko - had a rep come out andlook at the problem. He said they were definitely defective. I was sent a kit to send in and completed all requests for defective product and also pictures of the horrible roof product. This has been going on for at least 6 months now. I have just been informed by Tamko claims dept that my claim has been denied. Was told that their shingles are supposed to look that way and lift and separate and roll up. The roof was put on by a certified roofer and looks like C$%P! I wish some of you could see the horrible way my NEW roof looks. I am in the process of contacting management for this problem. I caution anyone thinking about using TAMKO products to be wary. They are horrible. You will not be happy with the way your roof looks.
Anyone who has any informationthat will help me please send my way. Thanks

I would like to see some photos posted of the problem shingles.

I use the Tamko Heritage Architecturals about 90 % of the time and so not have any issues with them at all.

Usually when the laminate is sliding, that indicates a steep pitch that was not properly 6 nailed or a regular pitch that was not 4 nailed in the nail zone area.

Ed

I have had shingled roofs in the past that were defective from the manufacturer. Everytime the manufacturer replaced the roof and made everything right. Some took longer to do it but eventually they got replaced. I would probably say out of my last 5 years and over a thousand roofs. (I no longer am working with a contractor) We had 5 or 6 roofs defective from Tamko. We also had at least 1 roof defective from every manufacturer we used. (Elk is the exception…which we installed less, due to customers not wanting them because they are more expensive and they wanted to save a penny) and we used all major brands GAF, OC, IKO, ATLAS…IMO you get what you pay for.

99% roof problems however are the result of installation problems not manufacturer defects, but it does happen.

My law firm has received complaints from consumers around the country about defective Tamko shingles. People are reporting that the shingles are prematurely deteriorating, cracking, blistering and curling. We are investigating this matter to determine if this is a widespread problem. If it is, we intend to bring a class action suit on behalf of consumers against the company for replacement costs. If you or someone you know has had any problems with Tamko shingles, please contact me: Clayton Halunen, HALUNEN & ASSOCIATES, at:
halunen@halunenlaw.com or (612) 605-4098. Thank you.

Tamko shingles in my area are holding up pretty well.
Perhaps your client got a bad batch, it happens.