Tax law

Does anyone here know what the tax burden would be to reroof a church? I live in texas. i’ve been told there is no tax for churches. pretty confusing

Yes,
I know a little bit about it.

On jobs I have worked in the past I simply requested a copy of the church’s tax exempt certificate. I turned that in with my material order to my supplier and no tax was charged.

If this is an insurance claim you may need to review the estimate. If tax was applied to the estimate, then you don’t even have to worry about it.

[quote=“ALLTEXRoofing”]Yes,
I know a little bit about it.

On jobs I have worked in the past I simply requested a copy of the church’s tax exempt certificate. I turned that in with my material order to my supplier and no tax was charged.

If this is an insurance claim you may need to review the estimate. If tax was applied to the estimate, then you don’t even have to worry about it.[/quote]

A recent Masonic Lodge (client) was tax exempt, and proved it by their Non-Profit/Tax Exempt status certificate, in Texas.

The insurance adjuster overestimated job costs by including materials sales tax in their ACV calculation/payment.

The adjuster was appreciative to learn that they had overpaid, and adjusted the supplement accordingly, and then THEY did not have to worry about it.

If an adjuster inadvertently overpays by error, one should speak up. If not, it’s like a cashier giving you more change than you are owed, and then keeping silent about the illicit/illegal windfall.