The shingles I have are metric

Does someone have a chart that shows 5 5/8 increments? It would be easy to snap chalk lines at 5" intervals. I guess I could spend some time making a chart but I already have drank a few beers. I also want to make sure I install these things correctly tomorrow. Here is the manufacturers instructions.

First Course
(A) Apply first course starting with a full shingle, even with the starter
course. Fasten securely according to instructions.
Note: Complete course with full shingles. The fastening line should not be used
for course alignment of shingles.
Second Course
(B) Begin second course by positioning first shingle 6-1/2" from the end of
the underlaying shingle, and flush with the top of the overlay tab
(dragon tooth).
(C) Leave 5-5/8" exposure, fasten securely, and trim excess overhang at
rake.
Note: Complete course with full shingles.
Third Course
(D) Begin by positioning the first shingle 6-1/2" from the end of the underlying
shingle, flush with the top of the dragon tooth pattern. Complete by
repeating step (C).
Fourth Course
(E) Begin the fourth course by positioning the first shingle an additional
6-1/2" from the end of the underlying shingle, flush with the top of the
dragon tooth pattern. Complete by repeating step (C).
Fifth Course
(F) Begin fifth course by positioning full shingle flush with rake edge and
leave 5-5/8" exposure. Complete by repeating step (C).
Note: Complete course with full shingles. For succeeding courses repeat steps for
second, third, fourth and fifth courses.

Tell me if I got this down right.

First course = full shingle
Second course = Cut off 6 1/2inches
Third course = Cut off 13inches
Forth course = Cut off 19 1/2inches
Fifth course = Full shingle and repeat steps.

One more thing. I installed metal drip edges that extend past the fascia. They go forward then bend back flush with the fascia. The instructions say to extend 3/8 in past drip edge. Since I have an extended drip edge, can’t I just cut it flush with the end at the eves and rakes. WHat do you guys do?

“Since I have an extended drip edge, can’t I just cut it flush with the end at the eves and rakes”

No. From what you said they are asking you to run the shingles 3/8" past the end of the edge metal. I’m used to running 1/2"-1" past myself.

As far as 5 5/8" intervals? I don’t understand. You have a tape measure and a chaulk line, yes? I’m also kind of curious why the instructions for metric shingles give standard measurements…

G-Tape makes a Metric exposure…Oh, but then I already mentioned G-Tape when you first said you were going to do your own roof!!!

IF you would have used G-Tape, your roof would be done perfect, AND it would have been done fast!!
So fast and perfect, you would probably start roofing for a living ! Because G-Tape makes it so easy!! :mrgreen:

Well guys when you shingle with metrics you snap lines on 11"tables or 5 1/2". nobody goes to the 5/8" LOL. We overhang 1/2" past the drip on the eaves and 3/4" overhang with starters up the rakes.We never run drip edge up the rakes. If you go flush water will wick and you will have a call back.

The real question is, where can I get me a G-Tape Speedo!!!

move out of canada now!!!

You saved me a ton of time and a lot of mistakes. I was fumbling around with trying to snap 5 5/8 lines. I even tried making a jig (poor man’s G-tape) out of a piece of trim molding. I started doing it 5 1/2 like you said and all my troubles went away. Thank you!

Where do they sell G-tape?

Hi,

G-Tape is the only way to go.

Since it is to late for G-tape. Here you go.

5 5/8, 11 1/4, 16 7/8, 22 1/2, 28 1/8, 33 3/4, 39 3/8, 45 …

Some do.

Does anybody really think roofers are going to use these fool measurments?? break out the micrometer guys. Like I said everybody snaps lines on 5 1/2"tables
way easier, way faster. too bad the shingle manurfacters dont remember the time proven acronym for KISS “keep it simple stupid” instead they snap lines like were making watches,LOL. common sence is uncommon.

RooferJim